BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
rickf325
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Driving controls

I was looking for but could not find a thread on precisely what the myriad of driving controls on the F10 M5 did. I am going to start this discussion, but am hopeful the group-knowledge can turn this into a one-stop-shop. (If this already exists, please point me to it!).

Note, I could also be wrong on some below...

Drivelogic (in "D" modes)
  • Controls the logic around shift point. The lower the number, the earlier the car will upshift.
  • Setting D1 will cause the car to want to start in 2nd gear from a dead stop.
  • The higher the setting, the higher the car will rev before upshifting. This will be more aggressive, but will have an adverse impact on fuel consumption.

Drivelogic (in "S" modes)
  • Only changes how fast a particular gear shift will be. The lower the number, the "sloppier" the shift. The higher the number, the faster (and possibly more jarring) the shift.
  • S3 is required for launch control.

Driving Dynamics
  • This is basically just throttle responsiveness and has no impact on the capabilities of the car.
  • In "Efficient" mode, the throttle is linear. It takes a heavier foot to get to 100% open.
  • In Sports and Sports+ mode, the throttle is electronically shortened so that a lighter/shorter push opens up more of the throttle earlier.
  • Although the user guide says that "Efficient" yields the best fuel consumption, this is purely up to the driver. At any given amount of acceleration, the fuel consumption will be exactly the same across the modes. It's just easier to accelerate harder more often in Sports and Sports+ than in efficient.

Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
  • This is basically a variable suspension control.
  • "Comfort" yields the "softest" ride with the most potential for body roll, whereas "Sports+" would yield the harshest ride with the least potential for body roll.

Servotronic (Steering)
  • This is basically a steering responsiveness and feedback control.
  • "Comfort" yields the "lightest" ride with the most intervention and has the least amount of steering wheel feedback, whereas "Sports+" would yield the "heaviest" ride with the most potential for steering wheel feedback.
  • In other words, "Comfort" makes the car feel a lot less than its 4300 lb weight, whereas Sports and Sports+ gives you finer grained feedback and control over the vehicle (with larger/heavier steering wheel movements required to turn the car).

One question I have is what functions does the automatic drive style "learning" function of the car affect?

Thoughts? Maybe this should be a wiki of some sort, but I don't know how to do that.
Appreciate 0