M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

11-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

iND F10 M5 hits the dyno @ EAS

While the rest of the IND staff brave the rapidly oncoming Chicago winter, our M5 project is on a small tour of California, making stops at European Car, Brembo, and European Auto Source for some upcoming product development, a soon-to-be-released magazine feature, and some other surprises. For the last two weeks after the SEMA show, European Auto Source has been our M5 project’s home away from home.

Although we are in the very early stages of performance parts development for the F10 M5, one thing is already a priority: validation, validation, and validation. When it comes to testing and validation of any kind, no amount of data is too much. So when our friends at European Auto Source offered to not only install our Gruppe M intake at their facility, but also to dyno test our M5 on their DynoJet dyno, we jumped at the chance.

Despite the fact that our car’s fuel tank is currently full of 91 octane instead of the usual 93, and that the weather in California now is very different that the weather in Chicago during our previous dyno tests, we are of the opinion that more data points are always a plus. With that being said, our M5 rolled onto EAS’ dyno with the goal of producing some before and after runs, with the original intake system as well as the Gruppe M.

After the roar of the exhaust was finally silenced and the smoke cleared, the car produced a respectable 535 wheel horsepower with the Gruppe M intake, even with 91 octane fuel. Enjoy the video!

11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Decent! Can't wait till spring fever when I can start ordering mods
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Dear god that sounds glorious! Keep up the fantastic work!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
Dear god that sounds glorious! Keep up the fantastic work!!
Wait until we install the AMS catless downpipes
      11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
I don't have experience with turbo motor exhaust, but I have to think that even with the various crimps and compromises in the stock exhaust, the largest obstruction to flow are the cats. When you get the AMS catless downpipes, is there any incentive for IND to test those pipes in an otherwise stock system? I'm sure the larger diameter tube and less restrictive mufflers of the aftermarket manufacturers will give more HP, but it would be interesting to learn the actual HP difference with just the cats eliminated. And I suppose with the cats gone there is the need for adjustment to the ECU, so that would have to come into play as well.

Last edited by Used2be; 11-28-2012 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: afterthought
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I don't have experience with turbo motor exhaust, but I have to think that even with the various crimps and compromises in the stock exhaust, the largest obstruction to flow are the cats. When you get the AMS catless downpipes, is there any incentive for IND to test those pipes in an otherwise stock system? I'm sure the larger diameter tube and less restrictive mufflers of the aftermarket manufacturers will give more HP, but it would be interesting to learn the actual HP difference with just the cats eliminated. And I suppose with the cats gone there is the need for adjustment to the ECU, so that would have to come into play as well.
You're correct in saying that the catalysts are the largest restriction of all in the original exhaust system, as well as in saying that any exhaust flow improvement will be best used when coupled with performance software.

I agree that it would be interesting to test the catless downpipes with an OE BMW exhaust, so we'll definitely add that to our to-do list.
      11-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
lippi
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Ilia, would let me test the AMS catless downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
star21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 en route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
When you mentioned a reputable company making the downpipes you definitely weren't kidding!

I've noticed several of the other tuner downpipes on the market currently have no provisions for a flex section. I'm assuming most are deeming them unnecessary? The only one I've seen so far with a flex section is the Agency Power.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippi View Post
Ilia, would let me test the AMS catless downpipe?
Absolutely. Your car will be a beast with downpipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star21 View Post
When you mentioned a reputable company making the downpipes you definitely weren't kidding!

I've noticed several of the other tuner downpipes on the market currently have no provisions for a flex section. I'm assuming most are deeming them unnecessary? The only one I've seen so far with a flex section is the Agency Power.
Good question. At this point I can't speak to whether or not the car needs a flex section in that position. Typically cars with soft engine mounts that allow a great deal of engine motion under load or exhausts that move significantly would need a flex section, and from what I've seen the F10 M5 does not have either issue. It may be that a flex section is not necessary, but we will test this thoroughly as soon as the car returns from California.
      11-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
It may be that a flex section is not necessary, but we will test this thoroughly as soon as the car returns from California.
AMS has great experience with various high performance cars and will surely give us a catless downpipe suitable for both stock and upgraded performance levels. Is IND using ESS for the upgraded ECU software because that company is further along with the BMW programming compared to AMS? Do you think AMS will be developing their own version of upgraded ECU software for the M5?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
AMS has great experience with various high performance cars and will surely give us a catless downpipe suitable for both stock and upgraded performance levels. Is IND using ESS for the upgraded ECU software because that company is further along with the BMW programming compared to AMS? Do you think AMS will be developing their own version of upgraded ECU software for the M5?
We are all very excited about the partnership with AMS. The ECU tuning for this program will be provided by our technology partner ESS. Although we are unable to disclose the details of the tune the plan is to offer a staged solution for the S63tu.
      11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Any plans for a HFC pipe? Maybe down stream a little?
Catless will stick like a ricer car.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Do you guys have the Gruppe M intake for the F13? I sent a message to Nate and no response. My dealer will probably order and install it for me in the coming months, but I was waiting to see any alternatives like Dinan. Let me know what you guys think.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
very nice ind!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Do you guys have the Gruppe M intake for the F13? I sent a message to Nate and no response. My dealer will probably order and install it for me in the coming months, but I was waiting to see any alternatives like Dinan. Let me know what you guys think.

Noushy
Sorry I missed this post. GruppeM Japan is currently getting an F13 in for testing. I will update 6post right when fitments are confirmed.