Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Closed Thread

09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #815
SEWELLGT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Ugh...

So I had to see what all the fuss is about. Touched base with my contact at Beverly Hills Porsche and drove down last weekend. Unfortunately it wasn't much more than an around the block type of test drive but I was able to get a decent feel for the car. Drove both the PDK and the manual.

I've been working numbers with them all week and we are very close to what I would consider a helluva deal. They want me to come grab it for the day, see how it looks in the garage, spend some time with it, etc. haha. Wife votes to keep the M5 but is cool either way, we have an 18 month old and another due 12/1 so the big backseat of the M5 has huge appeal to us, I'm just a sucker for a good deal and feel like it's hard to pass on.

If I do it, it's this 4S and it comes with 3 pedals...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #816
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEWELLGT View Post
So I had to see what all the fuss is about. Touched base with my contact at Beverly Hills Porsche and drove down last weekend. Unfortunately it wasn't much more than an around the block type of test drive but I was able to get a decent feel for the car. Drove both the PDK and the manual.

I've been working numbers with them all week and we are very close to what I would consider a helluva deal. They want me to come grab it for the day, see how it looks in the garage, spend some time with it, etc. haha. Wife votes to keep the M5 but is cool either way, we have an 18 month old and another due 12/1 so the big backseat of the M5 has huge appeal to us, I'm just a sucker for a good deal and feel like it's hard to pass on.

I'd have to recommend keeping the M5 with the potential of having two baby seats in the car. It will be a tough fit in the 991. Also I imagine very few 991's are being sold without the PDK, that might be why the deal is so good. Either way, enjoy.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #817
SEWELLGT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I'd have to recommend keeping the M5 with the potential of having two baby seats in the car. It will be a tough fit in the 991. Also I imagine very few 991's are being sold without the PDK, that might be why the deal is so good. Either way, enjoy.
Bish
Agree with you on both points. The main reason I got the M5 in the first place was the backseat. Over the past year we really haven't taken the M5 as much as my wife's SUV because we have the dog along most of the time. Still, it's nice having the option to haul the whole family in the M5, that's what makes it such a great all-around beast.

The 911 would end up being primarily a weekend fun car that the little man and I would take out together. He'd fit fine in the back with a forward facing seat, no chance on getting them both back there with the new one requiring a rear facing seat and mom wanting to ride shotgun. I imagine we'll end up keeping things as-is, entertaining to discuss the options though.

As far as the tranny, you're exactly right. This 7spd was one of the first I'd see on the lots. I'm not concerned about resale because this would just be a 2 yr lease and I'd turn it in at the end. My last two M's have had DCT and I've had the itch for that 3rd pedal again. It's definitely a bargaining tool.

Last edited by SEWELLGT; 09-26-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #818
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Bish
Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't get into a 991 if you are going to baby seats in it. I have a 2 year old and the seat has been in my car like 3 times. I couldn't imagine going in and out in a 991
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #819
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87
Quote:
Bish
Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't get into a 991 if you are going to baby seats in it. I have a 2 year old and the seat has been in my car like 3 times. I couldn't imagine going in and out in a 991
The only reason I would disagree is that he has already stated that they pretty much always put the kids in his wife's SUV. I was in EXACTLY the same boat for a while. Wife had the X5 and I got the M5 because I thought I needed the rear seats. Here and there we would use the M5 for that but frankly I HATE putting car seats in my car. No matter what you do it is not good for the seats. It really became a joke. I was trying to believe we were being practical with the M5 but we just weren't REALLY using it. Theoretically it made sense. Practically it was a joke. Sounds as if it the same way for him and his wife. Great try but may as well face reality and get what YOU enjoy-not what you think practicality demands-unless you REALLY are taking advantage of it. We pretty much knew that when one of us needed to take the kids somewhere or when all of us were going out that we were taking the X5 and it was easily manageable. It was just the routine-no big deal. In any case, we eventually got a crew cab truck as well and then it became the routine vehicle too. Long story short-I got the 991, she got the M6 cab and as usual, we take the truck when kids are involved (she also takes both kids in the M6. We have a booster seat and a rear facing for the 1 yr old). We do not even NOTICE that the M5 is gone. She was also the EXACT same way as his wife. She wanted to keep the M5. Now she sees it is more fun to have a car for me and her both to enjoy and we have the kid car when needed.

There are GREAT deals on the P car right now. Enjoy life!

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #820
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
I know the truth stings when you blow $ 40,000.00 more on a inferior status symbol.
Wow, you're a douche. Move on troll, this is a friendly environment that has been void of people of your ilk.
      09-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #821
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post
Wow, you're a douche. Move on troll, this is a friendly environment that has been void of people of your ilk.

To be PC we shall call him Summer's Eve.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #822
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
To be PC we shall call him Summer's Eve.
Ooch. Ok I will leave the Porsche forum alone so you guys can bask in your new found glory(ego).
Gonna be funny when you get one. Then people will be referring to the way you were all critical of the Porsches the way you were about M5 owners-BEFORE YOU BECAME ONE. Really, I thought we had settled all of this down. Please at this point just do what you say you were going to do and leave. You have disrespected way too many of the senior and WELL-LIKED members here. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish but burning bridges is just silly. I am not sure I have ever hear anyone disrespect Vic before except you and one other wonderful member.

This is a SERIOUSLY valuable thread to lots of people. Stop ruining it with childish crap.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #823
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
Ooch. Ok I will leave the Porsche forum alone so you guys can bask in your new found glory(ego).
Hate to say it you're a fool and we all have M5's and some of us 991's and others. None of us are bashing the M5 which would be foolish, nor do we care about a so called 40k gap. We purchased what we wanted and never knock another poster for their choice in cars. However, sir you go to other boards causing conflict because you're not a productive person, and need to feel wanted. I'm pretty sure I speak for the board go away! Many have extended you the olive branch, and you still want to be a fool so go away. We like our Porsche's and M cars now we doubt you have one TROLL.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #824
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Gonna be funny when you get one. Then people will be referring to the way you were all critical of the Porsches the way you were about M5 owners-BEFORE YOU BECAME ONE. Really, I thought we had settled all of this down. Please at this point just do what you say you were going to do and leave. You have disrespected way too many of the senior and WELL-LIKED members here. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish but burning bridges is just silly. I am not sure I have ever hear anyone disrespect Vic before except you and one other wonderful member.

This is a SERIOUSLY valuable thread to lots of people. Stop ruining it with childish crap.

I wonder if he even has an m5--- you read the post earlier in this thread where he talked shit on the pricing of the M5 when he had the 550i. Who knows whats real here Mike. But we all know and have spoken to the narrow minded posts he has layed out here.

Oh Mike dont buy a car that costs more than 20-40k over what he has (if he has it) because money is the only reason to buy a car. I guess the 458 is out... sucks to be us .

Hypocrisy and FTC- whats the difference?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #825
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:

Oh my that thing is gorgeous!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #826
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Dang it! And I had my eye on that 458!

And no difference whatsoever.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #827
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6
Quote:

Oh my that thing is gorgeous!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. VERY SEXY! Would be hard pressed to pass on it. I still shudder when I think back to how I almost passed on mine. I actually did pass on it for several weeks and I thought they had sold it. Then I tried VERY hard to dealer trade for an M6 comp pkg in TX. When my weak dealer rep couldn't get it done I got to be buddies sort of with the GM in TX and came VERY close to pulling it off. I am sooo glad it never materialized.

He really should scoop that thing up. He is right about the 7MT not being popular, but as you know, it also makes them RARE. When you see one you like you have to scoop it up because once it is gone you are not likely to find another-POOF...gone forever.

Although I am more of a fan of the DCT, if I had to pick a car that would be fun In a manual trans it would be the 991. Although I never would because my car is BETTER than yours, I'm a BETTER driver, I'm BETTER looking than you and your momma dresses you funny! Hahahahahahaha!

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #828
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

If you haven't driven one. Fast forward to 4:53 of this video. THAT is what the 991 feels like in a tight turn. It just sticks! No body roll. No "crap it's going to get loose". Only a very slight and very controllable slide and then it grabs and goes. Crazy fun to experience.

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #829
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

Quote:
Agree with you on both points. The main reason I got the M5 in the first place was the backseat. Over the past year we really haven't taken the M5 as much as my wife's SUV because we have the dog along most of the time. Still, it's nice having the option to haul the whole family in the M5, that's what makes it such a great all-around beast.

The 911 would end up being primarily a weekend fun car that the little man and I would take out together. He'd fit fine in the back with a forward facing seat, no chance on getting them both back there with the new one requiring a rear facing seat and mom wanting to ride shotgun. I imagine we'll end up keeping things as-is, entertaining to discuss the options though.

As far as the tranny, you're exactly right. This 7spd was one of the first I'd see on the lots. I'm not concerned about resale because this would just be a 2 yr lease and I'd turn it in at the end. My last two M's have had DCT and I've had the itch for that 3rd pedal again. It's definitely a bargaining tool.
Same situation here man.. I bought the M5 and dreamed using the backseats for the wife and my 1 year old boy. For the one year ownership, they have been in the car for less than 10 times. We drive the X3 out most of the time, and I began to wonder why do I even need the M5.

Now I have the C4S. It is really the best car I've ever owned. The smile on my face can't lie. I enjoy the P car far more than my M5.

For your case, which way will cost you more in 2 years? Leasing the 911 or keep the lease of the M5? If the cost is similar, you should go for the M5 and get your wife a nice SUV as family daily drive.

We are waiting for the GL550 to arrive in December now. My garage set up will be completed soon.

For the 3 paddle itch...I do have a 2nd car, 5spd 99 M3 White and dove with 55K miles I love that little car.
      09-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #830
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

First time in this thread. I've been missing out.
GT3. No more needs to be said.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #831
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
First time in this thread. I've been missing out.
GT3. No more needs to be said.
Hahaha! After all this you sum it up in 3 letters. Well, 2 and a number.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #832
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

honestly don't care about lap times and 2-3 seconds here and there but this is interesting to show how far the development of this chassis has come. Look at the competitors it runs with. This silly little 400 hp non-turbo flat six.

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/porsche_991_carrera_s.html

Last edited by ColdList; 09-27-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #833
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I'm having a different dark side thought:

What if I flip my Frozen LCI M5 and get a 2014 S63 AMG instead. I'm loving the new S63.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #834
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

THIS is GREAT! Motortrend actually answered all the screaming people had after their "Driver's Car of the Year" award who were saying "What about THESE cars"?!"

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car_aftermath/ : :
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #835
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I'm having a different dark side thought:

What if I flip my Frozen LCI M5 and get a 2014 S63 AMG instead. I'm loving the new S63.
I met a guy with a new Black series the other day at Butler Tire. It was a SICK car! Honestly, the rumble of that car on OEM exhaust as he pulled away was insane! Probably tied with PSE in my book. Nothing I didn't love about that car. Of course, I didn't drive it but I can't see being disappointed.

Incidentally, he commented that he owned 2 Carrera S prior to this. He said he needed a 4-door and it was pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #836
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'm working way out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico and still the fly try's to land. Vic and cold swat that damn thing and fast.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread