07-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Everything most of us want to know about the M5... on a blog

I came across this blog a few days ago:

http://m5carblog.blogspot.com/

Some PhD. Computer Science geek has taken the time to explain everything that most of us could want to know about the M5. He goes into each major mechanical system, cooling, physics, and even the history of BMW.

It's very well written, with hyphens and commas in the right place - and it's written in such simple, academic, knowledge-building form that even a layman could learn a great deal about the M5 and cars in general.

Check out this guy's blog, it's worth a gander.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCokeOfEvil View Post
I came across this blog a few days ago:

http://m5carblog.blogspot.com/

Some PhD. Computer Science geek has taken the time to explain everything that most of us could want to know about the M5. He goes into each major mechanical system, cooling, physics, and even the history of BMW.

It's very well written, with hyphens and commas in the right place - and it's written in such simple, academic, knowledge-building form that even a layman could learn a great deal about the M5 and cars in general.

Check out this guy's blog, it's worth a gander.
WOW!!! That is a cool find...
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Seriously awesome! Seems like the blogger is an F10 M5 owner as well! Excellent! Also F10 is 55% stiffer than E60?! Dang! I knew I felt a difference between the two!

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Pretty sure he's a member here too, just haven't seen him post much after taking delivery
      07-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Maybe we should put him in charge of cracking the ECU encryption
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Can I have my E60 MacPherson struts back?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Great find. I found the time read the post on the brakes.

For the ECU crack we need to get Anonymous....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Dudes,

I just finished reading the entire Blog. All I have to say is WOW!!! I am a technical guy and his posts were right up my alley. I was able to understand everything and I learned a lot about the M5 and even some good history. A couple of things really stuck out to me though.

1. The F10 M5 is really just a technological marvel once you understand all of the engineering and development that went into it. Everyone who has had something bad to say about the F10 M5 has been mostly directed at the weight of the vehicle. Although it is true, weight is bad, after reading through all the posts, I now understand the "why" as to the reasons that the F10 M5 is a faster/better than the competition and is a vastly superior car to the E60 M5. It is true, and he even made mention how the E60 M5 had a lot of F1 inspired designs it, but the F10 M5's technology now surpasses that outdated F1 inspired technological designs from back then in almost exponential ways.

2. I love how he made mention of no Adjustable Side Bolsters!

3. Based on his posts and really gaining an understanding of how the engine works, produces power, and what makes all of the systems integrated, I am a bit worried about the tuning of the of S63tu beyond what BMW has set it for. Main point being, cooling. Through his blog, I've learned that the S63tu generates and immense amount of heat and that adding/changing things, increasing the boost or reflashing the engine's ECU to produce more power does not take into account for the amount of extra heat generated. As he pointed out, the F10 M5 essentially has 11 seperate cooling systems/devices and I feel that not adjusting the car for more cooling with the addition of greater heat generated by greater power by aftermarket software or piggybacks WILL have detrimental effects on the engine and other components over the long term. He even made mention how BMW has underrated the F10 M5, and we've known that for a while now, so why do we really need 1,000+hp out of the S63tu engine, when in reality it is really making at least 600hp to the crank? Mostly, it's for those of us who crave more and more power I think, it's for us mod junkies. My personal feeling is that we should probably not be messing with getting the engine to generate more power through ECU/DME tunes or piggybacks until we know if the engine's stock cooling systems can effectively handle all of that extra heat. As of right now, no tuner in the world has yet to talk about increasing the S63tu's cooling capabilities, I think this is important and should be addressed; however, after reading through his blog posts, I already have a difficult time seeing how anyone can improve on the F10 M5's cooling systems. They already seem more advanced and more robust than any car I've ever studied. Yes there are Underground Racing Twin Turbo V10 Lamborghini Gallardo's out there pushing 1,500hp, but how long are those engines lasting? Or what about the Hennessey tuned engines, how long are those lasting? A lot of us purchase M5's with longevity in mind, and I can't see a tuned S63tu engine lasting 200,000+ miles with a some crazy tune on it pushing 800hp to the crank after what I've read and understood his blogs posts. Then again, money isn't an issue for a lot of people around here and a lot of people will throw a piggyback on the F10 M5 that makes 900hp and then walk away from it when the lease ends. I think this is an issue which has yet to be looked at in depth by aftermarket tuners and is hence the reason why I don't think I'll be putting a tune on my F10 for a quite a while. Then again my car is not a lease so I plan on keeping it at least until the 2017 F10 M5 comes out with the Competition Package III with further enhancements to the steering and a re-introduction of the adjustable side bolsters. Lol!

4. Some other interesting thing I learned, which I did not know:
- The F10 Chassis is 55% stiffer than the E60.
- We can disgenage the Parking Brake manually by removing the cupholder cover.
- Some sections of the frame of the F10 Chassis have metal as strong or stronger than Titanium.
- I now understand why the F10 M5's torque production is vastly superior to that of the Cadallic CTS-V, even though on paper the CTS-V generates more torque.
- For those of us running catless downpipes, I think the CEL cause by the O2 sensors may be playing some bad tricks on the DME's without a proper tune to compensate for it.
- The Active ///M Differential is an amazing piece of technology.
- I now understand why and how ///M's main focus of the S63 and S63tu engines have been the elimination of turbo lag and not horsepower and torque, hence only the claimed 5hp bump from the S63tu over the S63.
- I was totally wrong about how I thought the Brake Regeneration System worked.

I wish I could meet the blogger in person. It's just outstanding!

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'm right here Dave. J/kidding.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
1. The F10 M5 is really just a technological marvel once you understand all of the engineering and development that went into it. Everyone who has had something bad to say about the F10 M5 has been mostly directed at the weight of the vehicle. Although it is true, weight is bad, after reading through all the posts, I now understand the "why" as to the reasons that the F10 M5 is a faster/better than the competition and is a vastly superior car to the E60 M5. It is true, and he even made mention how the E60 M5 had a lot of F1 inspired designs it, but the F10 M5's technology now surpasses that outdated F1 inspired technological designs from back then in almost exponential ways.
Couldn't the F10 have been made lighter?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Couldn't the F10 have been made lighter?
Probably but where would you have made the weight savings? The obvious areas are the doors, the hood, the trunk, the roof, but ///M has never made an M5 with a carbon fiber roof, hood, trunk or doors, plus that would have probably added to the price of the vehicle considerably. Internally, I simply don't see where any weight savings could be made, without drastically affecting the price. Maybe using titantium everywhere in the chassis, but yeah the price.

Anyway, it has already been confirmed that the next generation 7-Series is going to be lighter than the current generation 5-Series. BMW is using it's development from the i-Series vehicles and integrating that carbon-fiber reinforced plastic into the next generation of BMW's starting with the 7-Series. Making the F10 M5 lighter was just not possible based on the technology that was available during its development. The next generation G-Series M5 will be much lighter than the F10, just look at what they are doing F80/82 M3/M4, they are targeting the E46 M3 weight.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

I don't want to take away from the efforts by the blog mentioned as it's a great collection of information and she/he certainly took quite some time describing the various components and background of the F10 M5.
All of the information mentioned in the blog is available via the F10 M5 (and F30 electrical assistance documentation) technical documentation everyone can download from BMWtis and much of it has already been posted here
But it's great to have someone take the time to summarize it all
So for those interested in more details/info I'd recommend to checkout BMWtis
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
I plan on keeping it at least until the 2017 F10 M5 comes out with the Competition Package III with further enhancements to the steering and a re-introduction of the adjustable side bolsters. Lol!
Hahahaha! You should NOT joke about this! You're going to have lots of people saying "WHAT! Another Comp. Pkg?!"
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

fantastic blog! and toned down for us non-engineers!!!

it looks like that the BMW engineers really tried to lighten the car without incorporating carbon fiber as much as possible with the aluminum parts but kept safety as a high priority with the high-strength steel. wonder if they made the trunk aluminum if that would make a big diff...

also wonder when BMW will incorporate fixed piston calipers on the rears... seems like the P-cars all have fixed in the rear.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Dave, you are awesome Dude!!!!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0
fantastic blog! and toned down for us non-engineers!!!

it looks like that the BMW engineers really tried to lighten the car without incorporating carbon fiber as much as possible with the aluminum parts but kept safety as a high priority with the high-strength steel. wonder if they made the trunk aluminum if that would make a big diff...

also wonder when BMW will incorporate fixed piston calipers on the rears... seems like the P-cars all have fixed in the rear.
Asked that of Dr Biermann in TX at the M6GC M-track day.

The reason it is floating is because there was no fixed caliper solution available when they designed the car that includes an electronic e-brake. In looking at the new M3/4, it has a fixed caliper in the back, and I asked about it having an electronic e-brake. He answered that is a different car, and will have a traditional e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
- We can disgenage the Parking Brake manually by removing the cup holder cover.
Just a note here you will break your cup holder. This information is incorrect. I know it is in the tech guide, but they are leading you down the path to breaking your car. If you look at the shape of the console shown it is not an M5 console. Our cars appear to require either a dealer service tool or power supplied to the car to disengage.

There was another thread about this! HERE

Netwon
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
Just a note here you will break your cup holder. This information is incorrect. I know it is in the tech guide, but they are leading you down the path to breaking your car. If you look at the shape of the console shown it is not an M5 console. Our cars appear to require either a dealer service tool or power supplied to the car to disengage.

There was another thread about this! HERE

Netwon
Interesting. Good to know. I read there is another switch of some sort in the trunk. Is that true?

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting. Good to know. I read there is another switch of some sort in the trunk. Is that true?
I've looked around but so far nothing that stood out. Like the spare tire situation this is another item that makes driving this car away from BMW dealers (ie. Northern Canada) a bit sketchy at times. (replacement wheel lead time is 3 weeks best case)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
- Some sections of the frame of the F10 Chassis have metal as strong or stronger than Titanium.
Titanium is actually only about 90% as strong as a standard steel, but it's much, much lighter. And the strongest Titanium alloy is not nearly as strong as the best steel alloys. I use the term "strong" loosely, since metallic strength is a complicated subject.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
darkrabbit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 F36 440i GC, '03 E46 M3

This is fantastic. Work will have to wait this AM

-J
2016 Ford F250 Diesel - Carries things
2019 BMW F90 M5C - Sold and I regret it
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #22
dapperdan
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 F90 LCI M5

The blog is back!

Hi folks,

I've been AWOL for a while, but as somebody in the above predicted, I just put in the order for an 2022 F90 LCI M5C (December production), so I am diving back into the manuals to carry on the blog! Will be updating the blog (m5carblog.blogspot.com) regularly (already got the first couple in) and responding to comments on the blog, here and on the F90 forum.

Cheers!

BMW 2022 F90 LCI M5 Competition, Aventurine Red Metallic, Tartufo Extended Merino Leather, Ultimate Package
See my M5 Car Blog at http://m5carblog.blogspot.com
Appreciate 1