M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

11-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

More BMW Dealership Wisdom

My car is scheduled to go in for an interim oil change in a couple of weeks. I don't trust their 15K mile interval so I do oil changes more frequently. When I asked if their parts department would carry 0W30 oil or if I needed to provide it, here is their response:

"So I did check with the parts department and they can not get 0W30. As per the parts guy the 5w30 is a Valvtronic system approved oil and you can't change the weight of the oil or you will change the way the system operates."

Really? Since when does the parts guy make this call?
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

It gets better. Here is the SA's response after I specifically requested that she speak with their M Tech:

"Sorry for the delay in getting this answer for you, I spoke to both my shop foremans. They are aware that 0W30 is mentioned in the owners manual, but it is not recommended nor used here at this dealer. The parts department does not have a sorce (sic) to get that oil for them nor will the shop install it if supplied by the customer. They will only used the 5W30 at this dealer."
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
It gets better. Here is the SA's response after I specifically requested that she speak with their M Tech:

"Sorry for the delay in getting this answer for you, I spoke to both my shop foremans. They are aware that 0W30 is mentioned in the owners manual, but it is not recommended nor used here at this dealer. The parts department does not have a sorce (sic) to get that oil for them nor will the shop install it if supplied by the customer. They will only used the 5W30 at this dealer."

Idiots, all of them; that said, I wouldn't use EITHER of the two oils detailed above. I only use M1 0W-40 European Formula, and bring it to the dealer when I reluctantly allow them (on the 10s) to change it. I change at triple the recommended frequency myself. You may say-waste. Regardless, it's my money.

The tail is wagging the dog here. Show this Yankee dealer who's boss...
Appreciate 0