Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-19-2023, 03:45 AM   #1
centrum
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d 416 M Sport 2014

M5 F10 Gearbox issue? Need Help!

All,

For the last 2 weeks I've got two issues with my BMW M5 F10 from 2014, which is completely unexpected and it does negatively impact the driving experience which anything but of what my car has been able to deliver until this incident happened. I aim at describing this at high level for now with possibility to provide full description to the expert team when on site:
1. Gearbox - there's a delay of 2 to 3 seconds every time you put your foot down and a very jerky and jittery shock everytime there's a gear change (regardless if it is to a higher or lower gear or if it is in manual/Sport mode). My 10Ys older Passat changes the gears now smoother and is more responsive than my BMW. Also, when you engage in D (drive mode or R/Reverse) while the foot brake pedal is pressed, there's a shock when gear is engaged which Has Never been present before. Everything used to be so smooth and silk flowing. Think of like the best public speaker you've seen in terms of fluidity in the past before this incident, and now experiencing a huge stutter in speech - I've used that metaphor for driving experience I now get with my BMW which is in mint condition with only 30k mileage. Hopefully, it's only a software glitch that can be cleared after the gearbox software reload/firmware upgrade and no damage has been done to the clutch or anything in the gearbox.
2. There's a sound every few seconds when the Climate/fan is enabled that constantly loops/repeats and you can feel it is transmitting a vibration in the steering wheel when that happens.

Unsure if the two above are related or Not but they did start - at least per my observations the symptoms started about the same time. Again, these are just the symptoms, the root cause still to be identified.

The ask:
Has anyone else experienced any of the above with their BMW F10 car?
If positive, what was the issue and how did you fix it?
Any other advice or ideas on troubleshooting this?

Thanks,
Centrum
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
TrueNorthM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White BMW M3 (DCT)

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten a response yet, and I won't be too helpful either.

What I can say is that the DCT in these cars are pretty reliable as a whole, and especially with low mileage hopefully its something else.

Sometimes when you get various electronic gremlins it can come down to alternator or ECU problem, especially if you're noticing other things go wrong. Hate to say it but I would probably take this car to a dealer for diagnostic....at least to see what they say. Update us.
      04-20-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

You could try to charge the battery for a day or two. Then, after, unplug it for a few hours and reconnect it.

It could fix it if it’s a software glitch and it’s free to try.
Appreciate 0