BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-04-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI

Buying an F10 from British Columbia

Hi guys. This is my first post in the F10 group and I got a good question that I never really have gotten an answer to, and one that I couldn't find on the forums, or at least I couldn't find.

There is this beautiful M5 F10 for sale near me, and I've fallen in love with it. After looking up the CarFax, I noticed it started out in British Columbia, and then came to the States. It passed the transition process to become US Highway safety worthy and has been here for some time.

It has MPH gauges that are genuine BMW, with a mileage reading odometer. However, I'm curious if anybody knows this.

When I put cruise control on, will it still show kph instead? I've heard this tale that you can indeed change the cluster to read out MPH and the odometer, but the cruise control will always know kph, as the car is wired from factory to mainly know kph.

This is kinda how it is on my F90 M5 LCI, where you can change the mph to kph completely, but it will still show mph below it, with cruise at MPH too.

If anyone has any ideas please do let me know. I probably will end up buying the car still but I don't want the fact that it came from Canada to scare anyone if I ever decide that it's time to let it go.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #2
cvince
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
Hi guys. This is my first post in the F10 group and I got a good question that I never really have gotten an answer to, and one that I couldn't find on the forums, or at least I couldn't find.

There is this beautiful M5 F10 for sale near me, and I've fallen in love with it. After looking up the CarFax, I noticed it started out in British Columbia, and then came to the States. It passed the transition process to become US Highway safety worthy and has been here for some time.

It has MPH gauges that are genuine BMW, with a mileage reading odometer. However, I'm curious if anybody knows this.

When I put cruise control on, will it still show kph instead? I've heard this tale that you can indeed change the cluster to read out MPH and the odometer, but the cruise control will always know kph, as the car is wired from factory to mainly know kph.

This is kinda how it is on my F90 M5 LCI, where you can change the mph to kph completely, but it will still show mph below it, with cruise at MPH too.

If anyone has any ideas please do let me know. I probably will end up buying the car still but I don't want the fact that it came from Canada to scare anyone if I ever decide that it's time to let it go.

Thanks everyone!
I have a British Columbia F10 M5. I can switch everything to MPH and use CC and report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvince View Post
Quote:

Thanks everyone!
I have a British Columbia F10 M5. I can switch everything to MPH and use CC and report back.
So cruise control reads in MPH?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #4
FirstTimeM5er
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp

I bought a 2014 M5 Comp from BC as well. Curretly in California. And yes the cruise control shows in KPH on thr cluster and HUD. I have figured out everything else to be in MPH and miles.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60099.00
      10-10-2022, 05:45 AM   #5
cvince
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
So cruise control reads in MPH?
Nope. Unfortunately the tale you heard is right.

This is after setting speed and distance units to MPH and Miles, and changing everything to 'murican units (even changed pressure to psi for good measure ):

1) The green CC setting indicator in the HUD shows MPH, and the HUD speed also indicates MPH.

2) The green CC setting indicator in the cluster shows in kph, and the digital readout in the cluster reads MPH.

3) Odometer reads MPH.

4) Fuel economy reads mpg.

Pretty much everything converts over, except the little cruise control indicator in the cluster. This seems almost like a software oversight on BMW's part.

That said, maybe the software setting for this item is actually in the cluster. I live in BC, so my gauges and everyything are Canadian. If you have an amurican cluster, maybe it sets the CC indicator to MPH as well.

Last edited by cvince; 10-10-2022 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: cleared up some of the items
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60099.00
      10-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
FirstTimeM5er
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp

The only other difference I’ve noticed is it has a flat tire monitor (can’t code to show tire pressures, just whether green or red). Thr US versions had a tire pressure monitoring system that can be coded to show pressures

Did you end up purchasing?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 02:05 AM   #7
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeM5er View Post
The only other difference I’ve noticed is it has a flat tire monitor (can’t code to show tire pressures, just whether green or red). Thr US versions had a tire pressure monitoring system that can be coded to show pressures

Did you end up purchasing?
So sorry for the delayed response. Yea I bought the car, love every second.
Appreciate 0