Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
At a crossroads

Hi folks,

I recently had a very strange experience driving in the motorway.Although I was going quite fast and was really excited, I realised the car is not rock solid as I would have liked.

At 100mph+ car feels a bit floaty and boaty, changing lanes is not done in (so much) confidence, braking is not rapid. All these observations are summarising the weight and the size of this car. So far, so good, god bless.

So I have two options. Either downscale to a smaller, more compact, more solid, agile and track oriented car.

Or keep the M5 and improve it all round. Suspension, rear brakes, sway bars, ultra racing strut/chassis braces, bigger wheels etc.

Notes:

When I purchased the M5 I thought I needed a people carrier, but it looks like I don't. It's ultimately my toy as my wife uses her own car. We do not travel by car.

However the M5 has grown on me. It is the best car I ever had by far and combines rare qualities. Being 6ft tall and chunky, I fear a smaller car (e.g the new 3 series) will not be comfortable and much of "a car" compared to the 5 chassis.

Lastly, from the point of view of costs. M5 is a behemoth in maintenance and running costs. And if I had to improve it, I would have to fork out another £10k I could use to redo my garden and even plaster a bit

On the other hand, downsizing stands for going for a more recent model probably a competition sort of car, and that equally I would have to trade my car and add another £20k minimum on top.

Thoughts, opinions and rant are very welcome. Please
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 11:00 AM   #2
ndorfn
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Take $5k of that $20k it would take for a new smaller ride and install KW v3 Coilovers and have the car balanced out properly. All that floaty crap is gone and the car handles like it is on rails. I love chasing around smaller cars with mine. They hate hearing that v8 screaming about next to them when they could not lose me in a corner.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #3
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndorfn View Post
Take $5k of that $20k it would take for a new smaller ride and install KW v3 Coilovers and have the car balanced out properly. All that floaty crap is gone and the car handles like it is on rails. I love chasing around smaller cars with mine. They hate hearing that v8 screaming about next to them when they could not lose me in a corner.
actually what happened to me and triggered this post. i was chasing an M3

you are spot on mate, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 02:12 PM   #4
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

If your car is not a comp pack version, fitting a front anti roll bar from a comp car makes a massive difference. Theyre about £300 from BMW. Best thing I did on my previous non comp M5! The car went from feeling like a boat to feeling almost like a nimble M3!
Appreciate 1
MarcF10135.00
      03-28-2023, 08:05 PM   #5
FrozenSolid
Frozen_Solid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Bronze Metallic M5

Not sure what "boaty" feels like my 16 comp and KW jolts through traffic with ease
      03-29-2023, 03:32 AM   #6
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenSolid View Post
Not sure what "boaty" feels like my 16 comp and KW jolts through traffic with ease
Are you saying you do not have boats in Florida?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 12:00 PM   #7
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

KW V3s and Dinan sway bars. I never had KW V3s with stock sways on but I can confirm going from stock sways to Dinan was a big improvement in the "boaty" feel you describe and then adding KW V3s was another big improvement all around.

On another note, I don't think "upgrading" the rear brakes is going to do anything for you.
      03-29-2023, 01:13 PM   #8
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
KW V3s and Dinan sway bars. I never had KW V3s with stock sways on but I can confirm going from stock sways to Dinan was a big improvement in the "boaty" feel you describe and then adding KW V3s was another big improvement all around.

On another note, I don't think "upgrading" the rear brakes is going to do anything for you.
I would like to thank you for the comment.

I noticed you mention Turner Monoballs at your footnote. So you went even further and upgraded the suspension bushings right? It's one of the things I was also considering - going with Powerflex purple bushings all round.

Is there a notable difference given you have already added sway bars and coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:02 AM   #9
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF10 View Post
I would like to thank you for the comment.

I noticed you mention Turner Monoballs at your footnote. So you went even further and upgraded the suspension bushings right? It's one of the things I was also considering - going with Powerflex purple bushings all round.

Is there a notable difference given you have already added sway bars and coilovers?
I did the monoballs at the exact same time as the sway bars so can't speak to them in isolation. Turner had a flash sale to get them for only $90 and I could do the swap myself so I jumped on it. Your car stock has stiffer thrust and control arm bushings than my 2013 so I'd expect the improvement is less. Personally I'd hold off swapping to poly and see what everything feels like after doing whatever else you plan.