BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

How Will The M5 Perform After 50K?

How do you guys think the M5 will do after it passes the 50K mark on mileage? How many of you guys plan on keeping your car long term wise or plan on driving it till it hits 100k+? Just curious because I think this ones a keeper. I usually like to change out cars fast cause I get bored of them quickly. But, this car just does everything I want it too. Iv'e made it the way I want and I think it suits me perfectly. I don't see any other car I would rather drive daily. At the end of the lease term I can buy it out for 48k. Maybe in a couple more years Ill add a P Car . Anyways, what do you guys think? Is it worth it to keep? How will it keep up?

Last edited by Tylerstar; 06-02-2014 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I think it will hold up pretty well like most German cars with large mileage. Only thing I would do is buy the extended warranty, given the multitude of expensive things to go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep

Yeah, thats my main concern. Kinda curious to know if Im just putting myself in a whole if I don't get the extended warranty. I don't wanna constantly be fixing electronics and ect. Then again, a lot of people probably barely have 15-20k miles on there M5. So at this point I guess its hard to tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
How do you guys think the M5 will do after it passes the 50K mark on mileage? How many of you guys plan on keeping your car long term wise or plan on driving it till it hits 100k+? Just curious because I think this ones a keeper. I usually like to change out cars fast cause I get bored of them quickly. But, this car just does everything I want it too. Iv'e made it the way I want and I think it suits me perfectly. I don't see any other car I would rather drive daily. At the end of the lease term I can buy it out for 48k. Maybe in a couple more years Ill add a P Car . Anyways, what do you guys think? Is it worth it to keep? How will it keep up?
Who knows, mine is "on the out list" as off September, just 1 year old, I would never see 50K miles on anything.
M6 GC CP on the way.
      06-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I'll be hitting 50,000 miles next year. I'm at 37k now and getting higher. I will be getting an extended warranty after my mileage runs out. There are several aftermarket extended warranty companies to choose from. I'm just wondering if they are going to be in the 2-3k dollar range or 6-8k dollar range. On the E60 M5 prices for extended warranties were reasonable up until a few years ago until they starting marking that car with a skull and crossbones and jacked up their prices. The fact is that we don't know how well the engineering is going to hold up with long term usage and milage yet so we would be better off getting the extended warranty because nobody has 100,000 miles on their F10 M5 yet and can report what broke or what didn't break and how much repairs cost.

Also quick question. Anybody have any insight on clutch changes with DCT transmissions? Like how long they last or how much it would be to replace? I think we can look at the E92 M3 DCT's for a little insight, but these new units are different so we can't do a direct correlation.

Overall though, I think we've got a car with a lot more longevity built into it than the E60 M5.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Also quick question. Anybody have any insight on clutch changes with DCT transmissions? Like how long they last or how much it would be to replace? I think we can look at the E92 M3 DCT's for a little insight, but these new units are different so we can't do a direct correlation.
My understanding is that the DCT system is pretty bulletproof and that clutch changes won't be required as wear will be extremely low. Pretty sure it is also a selling point for Ferrari's now that they use a dual clutch set up.

With two sets of clutches there is much less wear than the previous iterations of SMG.

Of course, I don't have anything to back that up, it's just what I have heard and read about.

After 3 years in my '11 M3, with DCT, I only had 18k miles. The M5 will only be with me for 3 years and I doubt that I will do more than 20k miles in that time period.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Shouldn't be any issue. I ran my E60 M5 to almost 90k and she was still going strong. The F10 should be even better...
      06-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
That's quite a testament to say about this generation M5 (f10).
Despite the weight and other things people moan or constantly highlight, the fact you are deeply considering keeping it, is great, and shows BMW still did a great job with this M5 and the target consumer needs for this type of buyer.
Sure there are things you could add to it to enhance it, and/or take off things. But I find your take on the car, far more validating than any magazine reviewer who drives the car once.

As for price on maintenance, things will go wrong and need replacing, cars like this won't be cheap. But that was the same for the e46 M3 when it came out. But here in the UK, streets in my area are littered with 90k plus e46 M3, and they still drive around fine daily.

All the best

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
My understanding is that the DCT system is pretty bulletproof and that clutch changes won't be required as wear will be extremely low. Pretty sure it is also a selling point for Ferrari's now that they use a dual clutch set up.

With two sets of clutches there is much less wear than the previous iterations of SMG.

Of course, I don't have anything to back that up, it's just what I have heard and read about.

After 3 years in my '11 M3, with DCT, I only had 18k miles. The M5 will only be with me for 3 years and I doubt that I will do more than 20k miles in that time period.
Cool. That's good to know about DCT's. I'm sure it's good for Lamborghini's too, now that the new Huracan has the DCT also, lol!

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep

Great info guys. Im confident bmw built this car made to last.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
///M5ForWin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I'm purposely trying to keep my miles low as I'm planning to keep the car forever- maybe pass it to my son one day. I hope to pick up a G series M5 probably in the second or third year of production- post-LCI, of course. You live and learn.

I really admire these guys who own pristine classic BMWs. I'm confident a F10 M5 will draw quite a bit of attention 20 years from now when the TT V8 has gone the way of the V10.

Oh and, yeah, I picked up the extended warranty at the time of purchase ; )
2011 X5 35d Black
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5ForWin View Post
I'm purposely trying to keep my miles low as I'm planning to keep the car forever- maybe pass it to my son one day.
I really admire these guys who own pristine classic BMWs. I'm confident a F10 M5 will draw quite a bit of attention 20 years from now when the TT V8 has gone the way of the V10.

Oh and, yeah, I picked up the extended warranty at the time of purchase ; )
Thats awesome. I agree, I think the F10 will age well.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
The car will still drive great after 50k miles. But it will start breaking down. All BMWs start breaking down after 50k miles. Always have.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The car will still drive great after 50k miles. But it will start breaking down. All BMWs start breaking down after 50k miles. Always have.
Lets just hope its more reliable then the old 7 series LOL. So you think its better to just keep switching these cars out before you hit 50k+/ run out of warranty? How long you plan on keeping yours before switching again?

Last edited by Tylerstar; 06-02-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
Quote:
Lets just hope its more reliable then the old 7 series LOL. So you think its better to just keep switching these cars out before you hit 50k+/ run out of warranty? How long you plan on keeping yours before switching again?
I think so. I've found that owning these cars after warranty doesn't save you anything because of the parts replacement costs.

I think I will keep my car one more year until the next generation E63 comes out.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #16
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Not sure I have a Potential Lemon!! But so far been to the dealership about 3-4 times for screen flickering and Front right wheel bearing squeaking related issues all taken care of in a timely fashion and smoothly but my gut feeling it will be a keeper if nothing crazy happens and so frequently that it gets on my nerves ! Who knows how it plays out - The car can be a keeper but the problem is me - But honestly for the first time in my life I have a car that when I think about replacing it all that comes to mind is same car with different options!! Which is very unusual as I always have the better replacement car in mind but not this time it seems! Albeit swap a lease already called and preparing for an ad -

Last edited by soooma; 06-03-2014 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Admittedly I have not kept a modern BMW over ~30K miles, but can recall a relative owning an E34 525i that did 200K+ miles in 3 years from new without anything more than normal wear & tear (no breakdowns).

Having said that I would expect an more highly stressed M to potentially run into problems sooner (as you say ~50K miles).

I'm tempted to extend warranty and keep until G-series LCI (unless something else of interest comes up before then).

Quote:
I think I will keep my car one more year until the next generation E63 comes out.
This may be of interest; nice leather dash, but doesn't look like HUD is fitted to the test car: -

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/go...oodwood-launch
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think so. I've found that owning these cars after warranty doesn't save you anything because of the parts replacement costs.

You do have a valid point Stealth. Some, if not all of the replacement parts costs are very costly. I think it still may be relatively hit or miss with modern day BMW's as far as reliability goes. It seems like with BMW's made today, the engineering is there to make longevity exist, but BMW can't always control 100% quality of the parts that they put into their cars. The Engine Oil Pump, being the perfect example. It was simply a manufacturing defect in the oil pumps in a batch of pumps made by an outside supplier of the part to BMW. Although BMW has very good Quality Assurance of parts and pieces, they won't catch everything. The design of the oil pump was sound, it was just a lapse in the manufacturing process that resulted in a bad part making it's way into a production car. The same can be said of any car manufacturer though.

Some M5 owners have had a multitude of problems, mostly electrical gremlins though, while others (like me) haven't had so much as a flat tire yet. I think that for the medium term (up until 100,000 miles), if one gets an extended warranty to 100,000 miles, we should be fine with keeping the car. Past 100,000 miles, who knows, by that time though, the next generation Gxx M5 will be out on the street most likely. Like I said, no one knows yet how reliable this F10 M5 will be once it gets past 50,000 miles. Seems like something always breaks on BMW the older they get, but there are definitely many BMW's that have been made that have made it to 150 - 200,000 miles without anything breaking.

I honestly can't decide yet if I'm going to keep this M5 past 100,000 miles or not. I made it 90,000 on my previous E60 M5. I really like M6's too, but for that kind of money I'd almost rather get an Audi R8. Many more choices will be out on the market in a few years time as well. These are definitely high quality problems. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

It is funny that we have come to consider 100K miles to be medium term. Just a few decades ago, 100K would have flipped the odometer and it was a huge feat for a car to reach 100K and still be on the road - usually accomplished by Japanese cars.

We are all very critical of "quality" of cars these days and look to all the electronics a major life-limiting concerns. When you step back, I do think we should give dredit to these companies and their engineers for the amazing progress they have made in design and build quality and overall longevity of cars these days. Just think about how much wear is on a car like an M5 being driven hard over the course of 100K miles!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Something will break the only question is cost to fix and who is paying.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #21
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Unrelated but my 07 yukon has 173k and has never had any problems. Its a keeper. Wont never get rid of it.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
You do have a valid point Stealth. Some, if not all of the replacement parts costs are very costly. I think it still may be relatively hit or miss with modern day BMW's as far as reliability goes. It seems like with BMW's made today, the engineering is there to make longevity exist, but BMW can't always control 100% quality of the parts that they put into their cars. The Engine Oil Pump, being the perfect example. It was simply a manufacturing defect in the oil pumps in a batch of pumps made by an outside supplier of the part to BMW. Although BMW has very good Quality Assurance of parts and pieces, they won't catch everything. The design of the oil pump was sound, it was just a lapse in the manufacturing process that resulted in a bad part making it's way into a production car. The same can be said of any car manufacturer though.

Some M5 owners have had a multitude of problems, mostly electrical gremlins though, while others (like me) haven't had so much as a flat tire yet. I think that for the medium term (up until 100,000 miles), if one gets an extended warranty to 100,000 miles, we should be fine with keeping the car. Past 100,000 miles, who knows, by that time though, the next generation Gxx M5 will be out on the street most likely. Like I said, no one knows yet how reliable this F10 M5 will be once it gets past 50,000 miles. Seems like something always breaks on BMW the older they get, but there are definitely many BMW's that have been made that have made it to 150 - 200,000 miles without anything breaking.

I honestly can't decide yet if I'm going to keep this M5 past 100,000 miles or not. I made it 90,000 on my previous E60 M5. I really like M6's too, but for that kind of money I'd almost rather get an Audi R8. Many more choices will be out on the market in a few years time as well. These are definitely high quality problems. Lol!
Yeah I agree, I think its just gonna come down to luck and numbers. If its worth it in the end that will be awesome. I guess its a decision were all gonna have to make. So the question is, who is gonna crack 50k or 100k first . I will crack 45k at the end of my lease. And Frozen yas marina blue would be epic.
Appreciate 0