M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #23
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Lerxst m5 pm sent

Country run
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #24
halfbent
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
India
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonT View Post
Like many of you, I've been on the fence regarding doing a tune on my M5. I love my 2014 CP M5 and love these cars so much I've had two M5's...my first was a 2013 M5. I love how the car is under-rated and my assertion has always been that these cars are under-rated from the factory. However, I am a car freak and so stock is never good enough.

The Dinan tune was attractive mostly because it essentially came with a warranty and would be installed by a BMW dealership. Furthermore, my dealer told me that if the tune didn't work, they would refund me (I've read stories about tunes being installed improperly and about the Dinan tune "not working" so I was a bit worried).

I visited a good friend of mine at Autobanh Motorsports in Houston to dyno the car bone stock. She made 519.65 rwhp. This was the second pull I did with the car (so it was a bit heat soaked, for reference the car made 537 rwhp on the first pull but I decided that for comparison's sake, I would use the lower number - more on that later).

Got the tune installed at Momentum BMW in Houston, went back to the dyno. Car layed down 572.06 rwhp with the Dinan tune and showed impressive gains throughout the whole RPM range.

The reason I am using the 519 rwhp to compare is that I didn't have time to fully cool the car to do a hail mary non-heat soaked pull. Sooooooooo, in order to preserve as much of an apples to apples comparison I used my stock "heat soaked" number to compare to my tuned "heat soak" number. Car feels strong on the street. The only thing I regret not doing is a 60-130 and 100-150 pull stock so that I could compare to those same metrics tuned. I think the 60-130 will suffer a bit as the car spins to the top of 2nd (80 mph or so). I will post v-box numbers for 60-130 and 100-150 this weekend.

Of note: I do not believe in artificially inflating numbers by using the STD correction factor, so I used SAE. Correction factor on stock pulls was 0.99 and on tuned pulls was 0.98. Also, using a 15% driveline loss, looks like the motor is making 611 HP stock and 675 tuned. Not bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
PM me the last 7 of your VIN and I will look it up. I dont have the switchover date in front of me but end of October seems like right around the same time we released it so I think you have the updated firmware/software. I'll double check though...

UPDATE: Confirmed. HoustonT was/is running the newest version of software/firmware.

I'm obviously missing something here..., this seems pretty far from the numbers that are up on Dinan's website for a S1 bone stock car....

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...or-bmw-f10-m5/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #25
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbent
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonT View Post
Like many of you, I've been on the fence regarding doing a tune on my M5. I love my 2014 CP M5 and love these cars so much I've had two M5's...my first was a 2013 M5. I love how the car is under-rated and my assertion has always been that these cars are under-rated from the factory. However, I am a car freak and so stock is never good enough.

The Dinan tune was attractive mostly because it essentially came with a warranty and would be installed by a BMW dealership. Furthermore, my dealer told me that if the tune didn't work, they would refund me (I've read stories about tunes being installed improperly and about the Dinan tune "not working" so I was a bit worried).

I visited a good friend of mine at Autobanh Motorsports in Houston to dyno the car bone stock. She made 519.65 rwhp. This was the second pull I did with the car (so it was a bit heat soaked, for reference the car made 537 rwhp on the first pull but I decided that for comparison's sake, I would use the lower number - more on that later).

Got the tune installed at Momentum BMW in Houston, went back to the dyno. Car layed down 572.06 rwhp with the Dinan tune and showed impressive gains throughout the whole RPM range.

The reason I am using the 519 rwhp to compare is that I didn't have time to fully cool the car to do a hail mary non-heat soaked pull. Sooooooooo, in order to preserve as much of an apples to apples comparison I used my stock "heat soaked" number to compare to my tuned "heat soak" number. Car feels strong on the street. The only thing I regret not doing is a 60-130 and 100-150 pull stock so that I could compare to those same metrics tuned. I think the 60-130 will suffer a bit as the car spins to the top of 2nd (80 mph or so). I will post v-box numbers for 60-130 and 100-150 this weekend.

Of note: I do not believe in artificially inflating numbers by using the STD correction factor, so I used SAE. Correction factor on stock pulls was 0.99 and on tuned pulls was 0.98. Also, using a 15% driveline loss, looks like the motor is making 611 HP stock and 675 tuned. Not bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
PM me the last 7 of your VIN and I will look it up. I dont have the switchover date in front of me but end of October seems like right around the same time we released it so I think you have the updated firmware/software. I'll double check though...

UPDATE: Confirmed. HoustonT was/is running the newest version of software/firmware.

I'm obviously missing something here..., this seems pretty far from the numbers that are up on Dinan's website for a S1 bone stock car....

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...or-bmw-f10-m5/" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.dinancars...mw-f10-m5/</a>
Dinan uses crank numbers ( same as BMW). They also have a very accurate dyno system. I have not heard of another one like it in the states.

He is quoting wheel hp numbers. Usually 12-15%+ who = crank.
      02-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

60-130 mph on a zero slope with the Dinan stage 1 on my CP M6 was a consistent 7.4 seconds with a 1/4 mile trap of 130-131 mph . Full bolt on with stock tune was 8.19 60-130 , and 125 -126 trap .
George
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #27
halfbent
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
India
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Dinan uses crank numbers ( same as BMW). They also have a very accurate dyno system. I have not heard of another one like it in the states.

He is quoting wheel hp numbers. Usually 12-15%+ who = crank.

Nice, thanks!
Appreciate 0