M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

08-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Well I ran in my car just like I did everything else I've owned. On my 07 race preped Honda trx450 I really ran it in. Same thing w my 80mph Yamaha wave runner. Everything I've owned was a hp motor so I can attest to seating in the rings the your going to drive your car. At least my method works for me and I've had no problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #24
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Wow, great thread. I was feeling a little guilty about being liberal with the right foot during break in. Not so much anymore

Also makes sense of the wild range of oil consumption reports from various F10 M5 owners.

gmd2003, please join us more often and keep us enlightened. Excellent info!
      08-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #25
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
Wow, great thread. I was feeling a little guilty about being liberal with the right foot during break in. Not so much anymore

Also makes sense of the wild range of oil consumption reports from various F10 M5 owners.

gmd2003, please join us more often and keep us enlightened. Excellent info!
+1. Seems he really knows his stuff. Lot of value instead of relying on speculation.

Therapeutic for me too. Removed lots of guilt about how I've treated my two. The F12 is due for her 1200 mi and I cannot deny that she has won a few races-lol!

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

What I like about this proposed advice on break in is that you can run this exercise during the first 20 miles and still technically be under the BMW procedures. I worry about redlining in during break in since it leaves a trail in the computer and BMW could use it to void warranty work if you later have an issue with the engine. I also like the fact that it allows you to properly break int he engine and still properly break int he trnasmission, diff, etc.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #27
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

Thanks to all for the guidance. I'll be taking my car off the lot like I stole it...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

So Pkilla was doing us all a favor then....Thank you Pkilla!

E46 M3
S71 X6M
F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
darkrabbit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 F36 440i GC, '03 E46 M3

This is excellent, thank you! I'll definitely follow these break in procedures in Sept!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

For the 21-1200 miles. Just drive the car normally as you would as if it was already broken in. Like the other guy said, don't do 7 consecutive launch controls because there are still components on the M5 that still need time to break in a little bit like the transmission and the differential, but no need to baby it either. Get the servicing done at 1,200 miles and continue to drive it as you have been for the past 1179 miles. I would do an earlier oil change than the 10,000 miles that dealership would set, as well.

Again this is all just my opinion based off of my actual experience. Having oil blow by on an engine is not something we should be worrying about.

Also consider this as the reason as to why BMW or any other manufacturer wants us to follow their Break-In procedures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

You guys honestly don't think that if BMW wanted to build a S85 V10 Engine that would last until 500,000 miles that they could do it? Instead look at what's happening today. Just the other day another one of my friends V10 failed on him, whole new engine replacement needed. So far I've personally known at least 15 people who needed new S85 V10's not including mine. Think about it.
Of this I have no doubt. The tranny oil in the M3 is lifetime oil according to BMW... lol. They aren't wrong, what they won't tell you is that 'lifetime' might be much shorter when you don't change it. Same with almost everything else, like 25k km oil changes and 100k km diff oil changes (it's BLACK at 50k km). I've never followed manufacturer specs for fluids as they have little interest in your car's longevity. It does them no good for it to last 500,000 km.
2016 Ford F250 Diesel - Carries things
2019 BMW F90 M5C - Sold and I regret it

Last edited by darkrabbit; 08-20-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #30
jimjayaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
1.) Yes I am certain they do not. Warranty of what? The only consequence of blow-by is increased oil consumption and slight power loss. One is unnoticeable on such a strong car and the other is considered "normal" by BMW.
2.) It means at varied rpms up and down the rev range , is 7200 rpm necessary no but not going over 4500 rpm is babying it too much IMHO. In general going to the torque peak of the motor should be adequate so around 5- 5500 rpm max which is what BMW rec by the way. The key is full throttle then allowing the car to engine brake back down the rev range .
3.) this is where modern engines and oils do come in to play. In old hand built motors with regular oil people would change the oil right at 20 miles after the initial break in run and the oil would have so much metal in it it would be sparkly. In a modern mass production BMW motor this is not the case . there will be break in metal , some Blackstone reports have shown this to be true still at 4k miles but changing the synthetic oil and filter at 1200 miles should be fine. I would rec changing it again before 5k miles based off other members oil reports.
4.) If you are in Munich thats perfect the hilly bavarian countryside is ideal , the constant hills will put great load on the engine! Just spend 20 miles on the autobahn accelerating and engine braking and whala youve done it!Don't beat on the car , keep the rpms varied (for gods sake don't use cruise control) and enjoy your trip! they will change the oil when your car arrives in the US.
George
Picked up my new F10 M5 this week. What. A Car. First M5 I have owned and I must say this forum is gold!! I have followed the harder break in procedure suggested here. Unfortunately, My M5 had 11 miles on it when I picked it up from a city centre dealer here, so by the time I got to a road where I could open up to anywhere near full throttle, I had 19 miles on the clock. I alternated high throttle pulls through the gears with engine braking. My question is - Should I be shifting down through the box as I'm engine breaking, or leaving it in the same gear all the way down?? To this point, I've been up shifting. Never hitting more than 5k revs on the down shifts, but never really getting down below about 2.5k as I was on a dual carriageway with a few other cars. Assuming that downshifting isn't putting too much strain on the motor/gearbox at this point?? I wasn't blipping the throttle on upshift as I would if I was really going for it, just off throttle upshifts. Any advice greatly appreciated!! I want to do this right!! Thanks, JIM
Appreciate 0