M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

need a quick response please - its decision time!

So Ive been looking for an M5 for around 2 months now and there are 2 in the loop

The first is as follows:

http://www.approved.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/...price_ASC|list

Has had 2 previous owners. It is very well specced and has had 2 new tyres, price has also dropped from 46.5k - 44.4k in the last 2 weeks...I have seen this car in the flesh and driven it; looks like a new car and drives like a new car but has done 22000 miles...has had all normal servicing carried out and has had 2 pieces of warranty work carried out; the first related to a drivetrain malfunction which was fixed with a simple sofware upgrade, the 2nd related to the know suspension issue with early m5s which was again rectified. This car has been on the market for nearly 3 months; hence I know the delearship wants to get rid of quickly now and I guess is why they have dropped the price so much recently.

Here is the second which I have a refundable deposit on

This car is an ex demo...Again very well specced and actually has a slightly better spec...Has had 4 new tyres and everything else is in good order...The dealer themselves highlighted that there was a small chip on the rear bumper and diffuser...They initially said they would carry out a smart repair and said they would do it properly by taking the bumper off. The salesman has informed though that there is an "issue" with the repair in that they couldnt even carry out a smart repair. I am still awaiting pics of the repair job but I have a bad feeling that they have just used a touch up pen!

This car is a little more expensive but has 5000 less miles..I have not however seen the car in the flesh or driven it...

Either way, I will need to make a formal decision on which car to go for by this Sat..

What would you go for???

please help!lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
M5nut
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 LCI

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
2014 330d X Drive M ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
So Ive been looking for an M5 for around 2 months now and there are 2 in the loop

The first is as follows:

Has had 2 previous owners. It is very well specced and has had 2 new tyres, price has also dropped from 46.5k - 44.4k in the last 2 weeks...I have seen this car in the flesh and driven it; looks like a new car and drives like a new car but has done 22000 miles...has had all normal servicing carried out and has had 2 pieces of warranty work carried out; the first related to a drivetrain malfunction which was fixed with a simple sofware upgrade, the 2nd related to the know suspension issue with early m5s which was again rectified. This car has been on the market for nearly 3 months; hence I know the delearship wants to get rid of quickly now and I guess is why they have dropped the price so much recently.

This car is an ex demo...Again very well specced and actually has a slightly better spec...Has had 4 new tyres and everything else is in good order...The dealer themselves highlighted that there was a small chip on the rear bumper and diffuser...They initially said they would carry out a smart repair and said they would do it properly by taking the bumper off. The salesman has informed though that there is an "issue" with the repair in that they couldnt even carry out a smart repair. I am still awaiting pics of the repair job but I have a bad feeling that they have just used a touch up pen!

This car is a little more expensive but has 5000 less miles..I have not however seen the car in the flesh or driven it...

Either way, I will need to make a formal decision on which car to go for by this Sat..

What would you go for???

please help!lol!
If it was me then I would go for the 2nd one you mentioned. More Spec, less miles and only one owner.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
MCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

I would lean towards the 2nd one, but must see the real thing, test drive & feel good about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The first is as follows:

What would you go for???

please help!lol!

So i have now received a video/pic of the 2nd car....As expected it seems that they have tried to repair the bumper with a touch up pen so lets just say its not actually repaired....

They have told me they are not prepared to do it properly because it would cost £300 to do so and they are not prepared to move on price at all....I think we all know that to do a respray properly, as a paying customer it would cost more than £300 anyway so I suggested that we split the cost...ie I pay £150 on top of the asking price for them to repair the bumper properly....This is all still under the caveit that I can pull out of the deal and get my deposit back if for whatever reason I am still unhappy with any element of the car from a cosmetic point of view or when I drive the car...

Does this seem reasonable..? (This is all assuming the bodyshop does a good job,, if not, I simply pull out)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

I think they will pay the 300, you just need to be tough with them. If it's being sitting there and they are desperate to get rid, they will pay.. Unless they want it to sit another month there and they knock the price down again..

Anyways best of luck

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
I think they will pay the 300, you just need to be tough with them. If it's being sitting there and they are desperate to get rid, they will pay.. Unless they want it to sit another month there and they knock the price down again..

Anyways best of luck
This relates to the second M5.....I actually put a deposit on this car before it officially went on the market and it only officially went on the market a couple of days ago..I guess this is the reason why they are not moving on price and not prepared to cover the cost of the repair themselves

The 1st one is a different story but that has already been knocked down in price
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I think it is reasonable. In fact, push come to shove, I would cover the full 300 if that is the car I prefered. It is a rounding error and you don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish (wow, this is the first time that i have used that statement where there were actually pennies and pounds).

It seems to me that you have always been a bit hesitant about car #1 and much more excited about car #2. I think I also recall that the owner who just sold car #2 back to the dealer chimed in here and created a comfort level as to the condition of the car. If that is all accurate, I would go with car #2. Sure you should try to get them to cover the repair - or half, but I would absolutley not let the 300 change my mind on a approx. 45K decision.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
I think it is reasonable. In fact, push come to shove, I would cover the full 300 if that is the car I prefered. It is a rounding error and you don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish (wow, this is the first time that i have used that statement where there were actually pennies and pounds).

It seems to me that you have always been a bit hesitant about car #1 and much more excited about car #2. I think I also recall that the owner who just sold car #2 back to the dealer chimed in here and created a comfort level as to the condition of the car. If that is all accurate, I would go with car #2. Sure you should try to get them to cover the repair - or half, but I would absolutley not let the 300 change my mind on a approx. 45K decision.
Drew...You have summed that up very nicely...Thankyou!!

The delear has agreed to split the cost 50/50 with me so I suppose that is fair...I just hope I don't find any more issues when I view and drive the car!...Gonna hold out for car no 2 as planned until I see the repair work
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Drew...You have summed that up very nicely...Thankyou!!

The delear has agreed to split the cost 50/50 with me so I suppose that is fair...I just hope I don't find any more issues when I view and drive the car!...Gonna hold out for car no 2 as planned until I see the repair work
Good luck. Agree with Drew.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
you don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish (wow, this is the first time that i have used that statement where there were actually pennies and pounds).
Nicely done, my man……..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

more waiting is driving me crazy now...Just want to by an m5!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #12
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Still much better than placing an order and dealing with that wait!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 03:00 AM   #13
Butty45
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Any update? Did you go ahead and get No. 2?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 03:14 AM   #14
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

number 2 is having the rear bumper re-sprayed so i won't be able to view it until next week now...If they do the job properly ill be buying number 2
Appreciate 0