M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-04-2024, 09:16 AM   #1
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Some advice about my meth install, please

I have a comp pack, stage 2, making around 490wkw and 900nm on pump gas.

I recently had a meth kit installed using a 2-stage controller and BM7 nozzles injecting into both of the CSF charge coolers.

I've tried 2 settings on the stage 2 controller:

a) Meth starts injecting at 14 psi and injects at maximum at 18 psi (setting 1)

b) Meth starts injecting at 10 psi and reaches max injection at 26 psi (setting 2)

I've tried a 50/50 and a 75/25 meth / water mix.

On the tune I'm running, boost maxes out at 21 psi. That being so, meth injection will never be at maximum on setting 2.

My difficulty is that when running meth (on either setting) I'm losing about 15 wkw compared to runs done with the meth switched off.

A tuner local to me opines that the meth spray is too strong, even on setting 2, and this is adversely affecting (or "killing" as he puts it) timing. Data logs seem to support this view as my timing when running meth (on either setting) is all over the place.

If I weaken the meth spray even more than that which setting 2 commands, then I'm not likely to see any significant cooling or octane benefit. On setting 1, IATs reduce a lot. Less so on setting 2, but there is still evidence of improved cooling.

Am I missing something, or is it pointless running meth without tuning for it on this platform?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 11:40 AM   #2
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

I would say it needs tuning for meth. Your tuner will be able to advise on mix ratio and nozzle size also.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 10:43 AM   #3
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
I would say it needs tuning for meth. Your tuner will be able to advise on mix ratio and nozzle size also.
Thanks for the reply. It has been suggested to me that the nozzles I'm using are too big and that I'm effectively drowning the spark as a result. That makes sense so I'm going to install smaller nozzles (315cc) and test.
Appreciate 0