BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Daboom
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP - Singapore Grey

DSC ISSUES ON TWO M5's

Guys,

i purchased a 2013 M5 in March that had multiple issues with the DSC Module crappin out and the ICM Module. After 4 replacements of the computers, BMW NA replaced my car with a new 2014 M5 with the Comp Pack. Needless to say, after 657 miles, my new 2014's DSC Crapped out and its at the shop again. I have been following the Break-In procedure but it continues to happen. Would a DSC problem even relate to the way the car is actually driven or is this a Electronic Issue. Why have I had two cars in 6 months have the same problem.

Is anyone else having this issue??????
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

If you could be a little more specific what is happening to the DSC, other than it 'crapping out'.......
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

its wether u r really unlucky, that exact same issue happens on 2 different cars, especially thats its different production year and LCI

or its the way you drive it, but if you are following break-in procedure, we can exclude it, so i guess, u have unfortunate luck with M5, ask them to change it for M6 CP or M6GCCP
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Daboom
Rep

Truth is BMW doesnt even know why it did it. Thats why they chose to replace my first one . They didnt have a solution to fix it. Is it a coincidence that my new one did the same thing after 650 miles? This is what i know. The firs time in the 13' M5, the dash board lit up while i was driving down the highway. Normal Driving...The dash lit up and everything had an issue. No ABS, No Stability Control, Rear Differential Issue... After a week and a half, they traced it back to the DSC and replaced it as the DSC was malfunctioning. Prob 800 Miles later, the same thing... they replaced the DSC and i went on my way after a week. 800 Miles later, the same thing happened again but it did it while i was sitting still at a light. This time they said that the DSC had failed and the ICM Module as well. They spent two weeks working on it and thats when BMW decided to replace the car. BMW does not know what caused the issue or what they can do to fix it. I picked up my new '14 M5 two thursdays ago and after 650 miles, the same exact thing happened today. Actually sitting at a light and the dashboard goes crazy saying the same exact things as my '13. I have followed the Break-In procedure well. I have not redlined it or driven it hard. I have been sporty with it but come on...this is 575 HP Beast. Could this in anyway be caused by me driving it or do I have terrible luck and this is a electronic issue. Nothing is mechanically wrong with it...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Daboom
Rep

Honestly,

Even if you drove it hard, why would the DSC Module fail and stop working. If i brought the car in because the back end was messed up or something else thats mechanical, then i would probably say that the driver didnt follow proper break in procedure...but this is all electric.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboom View Post
Truth is BMW doesnt even know why it did it. Thats why they chose to replace my first one . They didnt have a solution to fix it. Is it a coincidence that my new one did the same thing after 650 miles? This is what i know. The firs time in the 13' M5, the dash board lit up while i was driving down the highway. Normal Driving...The dash lit up and everything had an issue. No ABS, No Stability Control, Rear Differential Issue... After a week and a half, they traced it back to the DSC and replaced it as the DSC was malfunctioning. Prob 800 Miles later, the same thing... they replaced the DSC and i went on my way after a week. 800 Miles later, the same thing happened again but it did it while i was sitting still at a light. This time they said that the DSC had failed and the ICM Module as well. They spent two weeks working on it and thats when BMW decided to replace the car. BMW does not know what caused the issue or what they can do to fix it. I picked up my new '14 M5 two thursdays ago and after 650 miles, the same exact thing happened today. Actually sitting at a light and the dashboard goes crazy saying the same exact things as my '13. I have followed the Break-In procedure well. I have not redlined it or driven it hard. I have been sporty with it but come on...this is 575 HP Beast. Could this in anyway be caused by me driving it or do I have terrible luck and this is a electronic issue. Nothing is mechanically wrong with it...
Damn dude. That just sounds like really really bad luck to have the same exact issue on two different year model M5's. I've never even heard of this and I've been into F10 M5's for about 2 years now. With 19,000 miles on my M5, I can say that I've never seen this or had any kind of serious malfunction in my car either. Maybe 3rd times a charm? Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Spill coffee into the dash? (kidding-I know it is not funny). I am going to throw it out there that this is pure coincidence. Doubtful that t is your driving-especially since you are being careful. Moreover, everyone has a different driving style and it would be hard to imagine that yours just doesn't work well with the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Spill coffee into the dash? (kidding-I know it is not funny). I am going to throw it out there that this is pure coincidence. Doubtful that t is your driving-especially since you are being careful. Moreover, everyone has a different driving style and it would be hard to imagine that yours just doesn't work well with the car.
Agreed.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Wow, this is horrible. Ask them for M6 GC.
I have seen these cars freak out when:
1: They are not driven often and battery voltage falls
2: When you drive the car until it's almost out of fuel
      08-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Daboom
Rep

I sell Commercial Real Estate so I am in and out of the car all day...probably start it 10 times a day. The BMW dealership has assured me that this cant be my driving style...the car is meant to be driven and even if I drove it hard from day one, there is no reason it should have an electronic issue...if I had mechanical failure, that might be one thing but after a full day at the shop...the mechanics say the car is perfectly fine...they have been in contact with M in Germany but no solution yet... I am still struggling with the fact that I have now owned over $200,000 in M5's in 4 months and I continue to fight the same issues... I drive this car every day and mostly for business...with a family, let's be real that we don't get to have all the fun we wish we could have in these cars...I'm concerned that BMW NA will claim that the only common denominator is me but I love my cars and appreciate them to the highest degree... I wouldn't compromise the car in any way as reliability is important....they asked me if I had done anything to the car electronically and the only thing I have done is plug in my iPod and a phone charger
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
Daboom
Rep

I read about guys coding and changing settings on the car but with no major issues. Could I really have gotten two cars with the same issue? I'm surprised to see that no one else has had any similar issues...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
Daboom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Wow, this is horrible. Ask them for M6 GC.
I have seen these cars freak out when:
1: They are not driven often and battery voltage falls
2: When you drive the car until it's almost out of fuel
I wanted to also respond to your comment...

The voltage issue was brought to my attention today as a possible reason for the issue...after a full day of scans, the codes came back identical to the codes we got on my '13..between both the GM and the Service Manager, they agree that the low voltage is not the issue..what the hell could cause this?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I had that same issue the 1st few days of ownership , new batt did the trick !

Gl man suxx
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
sw_tiger
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
DSC Issue

I have the same problem with my pre-owned bmw m5 f10 2012.

I have owned the car for about 7 months now and couple of weeks ago I traveled abroad to countries where the roads are very bumpy.

Now back home the dashboard lighted up like a Christmas tree, anti-spin, brakes, parking break and rear differential problems are showing up.

Using ista + I scanned my car and it displayed DSC error and also low voltage on the main battery.

The error is inconsistent, it sometimes is there, sometimes not. I will begin with opening up the DSC sensor and clean it with electrical cleaning since it seems to be in a bad position in the wheel house receiving all dust thrown by the left tire. If this does not work I'll continue with replacing the DSC sensor and then see what happens.

Does anyone know if programming is needed when replacing the DSC sensor?

Did any of you guys find out what the "real" solution was to this error or does it just seem that the DSC sensor wears out?

Best regards
Emir
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #15
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Any chance any of you guys has a GPS or some other anti-theft device that's draining your battery?
      09-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
sw_tiger
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolov View Post
Any chance any of you guys has a GPS or some other anti-theft device that's draining your battery?
Hi Nikolov,

None that I am aware of.

Best regards
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
kdavis
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 M5 Black/Black

Sorry for the necro, but I saw this while researching and thought I would add my experience. I've just had this issue myself and my local mechanic traced the problem to a faulty DSC module. There is a service bulletin released by BMW which describes the cause as electrostatic build up that can occur in the wheel wells, particularly in hot, dry climates. This can discharge and damage the DSC module, requiring replacement. Prevention involves grounding each wheel, which the bulletin describes in detail. My understanding is that there is a local BMW specialty shop that can code new DSC modules without the need to invoke the pirate ship that is the BMW service department. Fingers are crossed.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #18
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

i would 1st and foremost replace the battery w a brand new one and go from there as the dsc units are much more exp than a batt..

gl keep us posted

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #19
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Defiantly could be battery issue, maybe without knowing you are draining the battery? When i first installed laser jammers and hardwired radar detector i had this problem DSC Malfunction message and ABS light was on, after driving few hours it went away and since then did not come back i also had 500 miles on the car at that time. Make sure nothing is on, maybe you are listening music for long period of time while engine is off? Strange coincidence with two same cars.
Appreciate 0