BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Clear bra for ED

Has anyone got their car clear bra'd in Munich? I will be putting more than 1500 miles during my ED and very afraid of what the front end will look like. Heeelp
      12-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I already picked up 3 good nicks (2 front bumper, 1 left fender) with less than 400 miles at max speeds of 120. So im sure 1500 miles will scar that front end for life.
      12-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Not good. I need to find a solution quick.
      12-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

This M5 is just like my old 09 M3 in the nick department, They nick so easily.
      12-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Has anyone got their car clear bra'd in Munich? I will be putting more than 1500 miles during my ED and very afraid of what the front end will look like. Heeelp
Just to give you some info, during my ED, I brought with me a roll of 8"x40ft of tracwrap (http://www.tracwrap.com/) which I used on the front of the car and lower front sides. Not really a true clear bra but adequate for my needs. I placed the wrap in the garage of the hotel in Munich I was staying and peeled it off the morning before I took the car for a wash on the way to the dropoff place in Nice. During the trip from Munich to Nice especially in the passes were lots of loose gravel and stones. Also I went to some places in Provence (Lavender fields) where there were only dirt roads with lots of loose stones.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
Just to give you some info, during my ED, I brought with me a roll of 8"x40ft of tracwrap (http://www.tracwrap.com/) which I used on the front of the car and lower front sides. Not really a true clear bra but adequate for my needs. I placed the wrap in the garage of the hotel in Munich I was staying and peeled it off the morning before I took the car for a wash on the way to the dropoff place in Nice. During the trip from Munich to Nice especially in the passes were lots of loose gravel and stones. Also I went to some places in Provence (Lavender fields) where there were only dirt roads with lots of loose stones.
Great info. How hard was it to install? Were you not able to ship the car back with the wrap on? Also, I was wondering if people take anything out of the car before shipping it back. I read about the emergency kit that the car is not supposed to have when in customs. Thanks
      12-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great info. How hard was it to install? Were you not able to ship the car back with the wrap on? Also, I was wondering if people take anything out of the car before shipping it back. I read about the emergency kit that the car is not supposed to have when in customs. Thanks
Installing the wrap is similar to putting those plastic iPhone or cell phone protector wraps. You use water on the sticky side and use a squeegee to squeeze out the water as you flatten the wrap. I removed the wrap as it did get dirty (soil and insect splatter) especially at the edges close to the car bottom. I also removed from the car the safety triangle and first aid kit per instructions. Hope those pieces of info help. When are you doing your ED, hopefully not this winter as most of the passes are close and you might encounter snow condition?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Don't worry about it. They fix any damage before redelivery.

I did 2000 miles naked in Europe and my car arrived pristine on ATL.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Installing the wrap is similar to putting those plastic iPhone or cell phone protector wraps. You use water on the sticky side and use a squeegee to squeeze out the water as you flatten the wrap. I removed the wrap as it did get dirty (soil and insect splatter) especially at the edges close to the car bottom. I also removed from the car the safety triangle and first aid kit per instructions. Hope those pieces of info help. When are you doing your ED, hopefully not this winter as most of the passes are close and you might encounter snow condition?
I am doing it in April. Late April possibly. I really want to drive through the Stelvio pass.
I will order the wrap tomorrow. Thank you again.
      12-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Don't worry about it. They fix any damage before redelivery.

I did 2000 miles naked in Europe and my car arrived pristine on ATL.
So if you have any rock chips, do they repaint the front end?
      12-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #11
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As per URBAN LEGEND has stated above, you can get nicks (if you are unlucky) but if you have STEALTH.PILOT's luck then you may not get any. I have seen lots of posts saying not to care about it but in my case and just to ease my worrisome mind, I did not heed to what they said. People can say all the things that they think will not happen, but what if it happens (Murphy's law)? Will those same people who advocated not to care give you any support (financially or otherwise) to fix the problem? It's up to you to decide what is best, but as far as I am concerned, I go with the quote "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!".
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
I am doing it in April. Late April possibly. I really want to drive through the Stelvio pass.
I've done three EDs between late-April and mid-May and the opening of passes is always hit-or-miss. Sometimes some are open and others are not. I don't think there's any way to be really sure. It adds to the adventure but you should be aware.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I've done three EDs between late-April and mid-May and the opening of passes is always hit-or-miss. Sometimes some are open and others are not. I don't think there's any way to be really sure. It adds to the adventure but you should be aware.
I guess luck was in my way as I did ED first 2 weeks of October. I was afraid that some of the passes that I have listed in my itinerary would be closed but October turned out to be a nice month with the temperature only in the 60's and lower 70's and the passes I went through such as the Glossglockner,St. Gotthard,Albula,Bernina,San Bernardino,Stelvio were all open. All in all, going through some of the passes during ED was truly awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
I guess luck was in my way as I did ED first 2 weeks of October. I was afraid that some of the passes that I have listed in my itinerary would be closed but October turned out to be a nice month with the temperature only in the 60's and lower 70's and the passes I went through such as the Glossglockner,St. Gotthard,Albula,Bernina,San Bernardino,Stelvio were all open. All in all, going through some of the passes during ED was truly awesome!
Big snow in the Alps usually doesn't start until late-December/early-January. From experience, Christmas ski vacations are hit-or-miss.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

I wouldn't be happy if I was not able to drive through the Stelvio pass.