M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-31-2022, 06:11 AM   #1
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
lean codes, diagnosis

Car is a 2013, has 89k miles. About a month ago, the check engine light came on for the first time in a very long time. I used ISTA to scan the codes and saw a MAF code and two lean codes. Since it was the middle of winter and we had blowing snow, I just cleared the codes to wait and see what would return. It took 3+ weeks and a lot of miles for the light to trigger again. No MAF code, but I got the 118010 and 118110 lean codes. I haven't cleared the codes as I want them present during diagnosis and also to see if eventually I will a MAF code or something else.

At 70k miles I replaced all 8 injectors, coils and spark plugs, both MAF's and at 65k both precat O2's were done. More recently, at 85k, I replaced both charge pipes, the turbo intake housing x-rings, oil cap oring and both PCV hoses to the valve covers. All of those items had oil residue and the charge pipe hoses and one x-ring were definitely leaking.

Jumping forward, I smoked tested the intakes last night. I removed both air filter housings, plugged off one intake and hooked the tested to the other side. I switched sides once as well and for the life of me, I couldn't see anything leaking after multiple attempts and variations. I think I can rule out an actual leak on the intakes.

The engine seems to run fine, it's bone stock. Never tuned, no aftermarket parts.

Questions:

-What values should I be looking for the low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps to run at? Idle and load values... I did a Google search but couldn't come up with anything. I found the functions in ISTA to monitor them, but I don't know what's correct/in range.

-Where is ISTA can I find fuel trims?

-What else should I test?

-I'm considering to clear the codes and reset adaptations. I don't think I cleared them after fixing the orings/charge pipes. Doesn't seem right that they would trend higher and set the engine light after fixing the leaks, though I've seen other posts of people doing so and not having the light return. It's possible they just didn't drive enough.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Unreal that there are no responses. LOL. The enthusiast car world really has changed.

After I smoke tested the intake tracts, I put the airboxes back on. Didn't reset any codes, but 2 days of driving later, the CEL turned off. The engine response seemed slightly better as well. I decided to reset adaptations at that point and clear the codes. Seems to run good still. Maybe one of my intake clamps or boots wasn't secured well enough or maybe MAF sensor plug not fully seated. Anyway, fixed for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Unreal that there are no responses. LOL. The enthusiast car world really has changed.

After I smoke tested the intake tracts, I put the airboxes back on. Didn't reset any codes, but 2 days of driving later, the CEL turned off. The engine response seemed slightly better as well. I decided to reset adaptations at that point and clear the codes. Seems to run good still. Maybe one of my intake clamps or boots wasn't secured well enough or maybe MAF sensor plug not fully seated. Anyway, fixed for now.
I would have suggested clearing the codes. If it returns, use CRC MAF spray to clean MAF. I had to do this once. I had a dirty MAF and it threw a code for this. Glad you're sorted now. Definitely clear the codes also.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 05:22 PM   #4
Shellbrook76
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Manual Competition

How do you reset adaptations? I just redid o2 sensors and pvc valves. Log term fuel trim is better. Do I need ista?
Appreciate 0