M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
drewmisha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 4.8 ;2014 CP m5; 2016

Brake fluid change interval

Is the brake fluid change interval every 2 years for the US 2014 m5? The Idrive says its not due for another year which is odd... TIA.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

My dealer did the brake fluid change at the two year mark even though I had no alert from the car. He will also do the oil change every 12 months as part of scheduled covered maintenance regardless of mileage. Mine is a 2013 model.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

It is iffy. Since brake fluid "can" absorb moisture, there has been a long standing recommendation of every two years which typically makes it more a preventative maintenance item. That said, other factors can contributing such as heavy use that could result in the brake fluid not lasting as long, or the opposite (only mild use) with an exceptionally dry climate.

I can tell you that I bought a truck from my dad that still had the "original" brake fluid in it from 1998 (the truck only had 3,500 miles on it when I bought it last year). I had the brake fluid changed soon after I purchase it. Did the brakes work? Yes. Do they work better now? Yes - and the pedal feel is much better. Is that an extreme example? Yes, but it shows that crossing a magical 2 year boundary alone doesn't just result in it "not working."

In the grand scheme of things, the brakes are a safety item so I'm not opposed to doing the change every 2 years and treating it like preventative maintenance.

I hope this response helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW's latest (has been for a while) is that new from the factory it is 3 years then every 2 years after that.

That is because the factory can guarantee the age of the fluid put in the car and that it is done under the correct climatic conditions and properly sealed.