10-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
sound . yes. sound for me, is half of the driving experience. thats why the e60 m5 was so cool.

man not this "4 door sedan" stuff again.

crying out loud is this a Buick were talking about? no. its its the " M 5 ". as for the Aston martin, it has doors that open up in reference to a swans wings. do you really think its main focus is geared towards performance? what makes it so much more expensive than the m5 is ALL due to luxury.

from a performance aspect the m5 is more specially geared to, well, performance, than the Aston martin is. otherwise that thing would be turbocharged or supercharged also and would be making like 700 hp.
I wish I could say I disagree with you but get your point. But honestly, you just seem misguided on a number of levels. The M5 IS A FOUR DOOR SEDAN/SALOON. It is NOT geared towards the same target audience or even a similar one as neither a Buick (yeh we agree there) or an Aston martin. I'm not sure which school of thought you are from in the automotive industry, but there is a vast following of enthusiasts/professional automotive journalists/drivers who actually appreciate tremendous value in a car which is a jack-of-all-trades like the M5 is. Yes, it's an M car. But it isn't THE M car. It's not BMW's pure track/performance animal. That's the M3 bro. The M5 is for execs with kids and grocery shopping who want to drive daily in comfort and luxury while still being able to hit a track here and there on a weekend...or not. To sit there and reason "oh not that 4 door sedan thing" because the M5 just beat an exotic V12 coupe in a drag race kinda suggests a level of bafoonery in an automotive forum. Sorry to say it. The M5 is not made to compete against Lambos and Astons. The beauty of the video is that it shows that IT CAN ANYWAY. That's why it's referred to by many as arguably the best CAR on the planet at the moment. It's not its straight line performance. And it's not its luxury. It's the way it blends all the things it does well. If you don't grasp that and appreciate it, well then I'm glad I'm not you who spent that money.

Also glad that I care much more about handling and speed than I do about sound. I'm not an 18 yr old tuner. And I'd feel like an idiot in a loudass slow car getting it's ass smakced down by a quieter cheaper one that's just as comfortable and costs less than half the money. I have a work colleague who drives a V12 DBS and I've been in it. I listen to music for sound enjoyment. And the M5 has plenty of it anyway. You shoulda stuck to the slow, loud V10 if that's what you had before. Oh, and Btw there's a forum for those somewhere around here
      10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
MakeEmDrool
MD, PhD, and OPP
Rep
Drives: M3 E92, F10 M5 on zee wei

I though u good ol southern boys were less harsh....even though ur on the money with ur critique. Don't be too hard on him though...he from Canada...northern canada at that....where it feels like winter 9 months out of the year....it does something not good to your brain (as an ex patriot I can say that)

Still...dont call him a buffoon...maybe a schnook, or nincompoop but not buffoon. Woundnt want his feelings hurt.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeEmDrool View Post
I though u good ol southern boys were less harsh....even though ur on the money with ur critique. Don't be too hard on him though...he from Canada...northern canada at that....where it feels like winter 9 months out of the year....it does something not good to your brain (as an ex patriot I can say that)

Still...dont call him a buffoon...maybe a schnook, or nincompoop but not buffoon. Woundnt want his feelings hurt.

Point taken lol. Apologies. I'm not southern though. I just enjoy living here
      10-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
Sharpie12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 SG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
I wish I could say I disagree with you but get your point. But honestly, you just seem misguided on a number of levels. The M5 IS A FOUR DOOR SEDAN/SALOON. It is NOT geared towards the same target audience or even a similar one as neither a Buick (yeh we agree there) or an Aston martin. I'm not sure which school of thought you are from in the automotive industry, but there is a vast following of enthusiasts/professional automotive journalists/drivers who actually appreciate tremendous value in a car which is a jack-of-all-trades like the M5 is. Yes, it's an M car. But it isn't THE M car. It's not BMW's pure track/performance animal. That's the M3 bro. The M5 is for execs with kids and grocery shopping who want to drive daily in comfort and luxury while still being able to hit a track here and there on a weekend...or not. To sit there and reason "oh not that 4 door sedan thing" because the M5 just beat an exotic V12 coupe in a drag race kinda suggests a level of bafoonery in an automotive forum. Sorry to say it. The M5 is not made to compete against Lambos and Astons. The beauty of the video is that it shows that IT CAN ANYWAY. That's why it's referred to by many as arguably the best CAR on the planet at the moment. It's not its straight line performance. And it's not its luxury. It's the way it blends all the things it does well. If you don't grasp that and appreciate it, well then I'm glad I'm not you who spent that money.

Also glad that I care much more about handling and speed than I do about sound. I'm not an 18 yr old tuner. And I'd feel like an idiot in a loudass slow car getting it's ass smakced down by a quieter cheaper one that's just as comfortable and costs less than half the money. I have a work colleague who drives a V12 DBS and I've been in it. I listen to music for sound enjoyment. And the M5 has plenty of it anyway. You shoulda stuck to the slow, loud V10 if that's what you had before. Oh, and Btw there's a forum for those somewhere around here
the E60 wasn't slow by any means...maybe in 1st gear.
      10-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie12 View Post
the E60 wasn't slow by any means...maybe in 1st gear.
You're right. I just meant relatively speaking
      10-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #28
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

so funny, everyone with an M3 (me included) wanted more torque. now this car has too much? i'd give bmw engineers credit in putting the right amount of torque into every M car they design to make it fast but controllable. if you can't control it, you're probably not driving it right. mercedes on the other hand, goes overboard -- the c63 being a good example. no matter how much more power they put into their 6.3 liter engine, it always got schooled by the little 4 liter m3's v8. why? performace is about balance. bmw's are all about balance and predictability.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #29
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
so funny, everyone with an M3 (me included) wanted more torque. now this car has too much? i'd give bmw engineers credit in putting the right amount of torque into every M car they design to make it fast but controllable. if you can't control it, you're probably not driving it right. mercedes on the other hand, goes overboard -- the c63 being a good example. no matter how much more power they put into their 6.3 liter engine, it always got schooled by the little 4 liter m3's v8. why? performace is about balance. bmw's are all about balance and predictability.
And that's why people call Mercedes German muscle car
      10-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #30
Tobym5
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

The M5 feels about right torque wise, more is always welcome :-D

However I had 516lb/ft 700nm in my 335D and that car had no problems putting it down, it worked very well. Quite a bit lighter by about 300kg than the M5. Perhaps Mercedes problem is its chassis and the way the engine torque is delivered?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #31
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobym5 View Post
The M5 feels about right torque wise, more is always welcome :-D

However I had 516lb/ft 700nm in my 335D and that car had no problems putting it down, it worked very well. Quite a bit lighter by about 300kg than the M5. Perhaps Mercedes problem is its chassis and the way the engine torque is delivered?
+1