BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #23
mimustang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5, 2023 X7 M60i

+1 for me on the inconsistent start. If I roll into the throttle very gently I can get it to go smoothly and not give my wife and kids whiplash. When I do this, however, it takes an awkward amount of time to get going. If I use what I could consider to be a "normal" start in any other car, it definitely takes a dramatic leap forward. Clutch engagement is almost like an on/off switch.

Once underway, shifting is fine. I will get the occasional time when approaching stop where it feels as though I've thrown out an anchor - but that's less frequent.

I have an appointment next week for new tires, I'll ask the service manager about the issue. I've just been putting up with it thinking it was the nature of the car. Sounds like that may not be the case...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimustang View Post
Once underway, shifting is fine. I will get the occasional time when approaching stop where it feels as though I've thrown out an anchor - but that's less frequent.
perfect description
i get it from time to time as well
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #25
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Did you have this problem per BMS ?
had it prior to bms
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #26
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by us_matrix View Post
It sounds like we have the similar problem but I only experience twice in last 10 months but the experience was worst. When I started the car in the morning and trying to back up.. the car won't move as I felt something from the rear end is being locked and not able to move the car. So I had to keep trying gradually more with gas pedal until I stepped very hard on gas and heard a crazy "LOUD" metal cracking sound from the back end to move my car. It happened twice. Do you think it could be the same problem as yours? Clutch kit and flywheel? But I cannot reproduce the problem and don't know when will come back again.
The loud cracking sound are the metallic brake pads breaking free from the rotors. If you have rain, high humidity or a fresh car wash can make this occur, long times without use will accelerate this problem. I have reduced the problem by only using "P" and not the parking brake when in my garage on a flat level surface.

I can't stress enough perfectly flat and not when the engine is running. If the car is warming up the parking brake is on.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimustang
+1 for me on the inconsistent start. If I roll into the throttle very gently I can get it to go smoothly and not give my wife and kids whiplash. When I do this, however, it takes an awkward amount of time to get going. If I use what I could consider to be a "normal" start in any other car, it definitely takes a dramatic leap forward. Clutch engagement is almost like an on/off switch.

I have an appointment next week for new tires, I'll ask the service manager about the issue. I've just been putting up with it thinking it was the nature of the car. Sounds like that may not be the case...
THIS! You nailed it! That's EXACTLY how it feels taking off. You're either snails pace or rocket ship blast off.
      10-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #28
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Excellently worded The exact same experience for me!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #29
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Have a 2014 CP. No jerkiness at all in comfort. It starts off in 2nd gear, so the throttle is muted
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #30
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Throttle in sport. I've no problem.

ps For those with problem, why not change 1 level down for throttle?

Last edited by bm323; 10-28-2014 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #31
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I have the same issue in stop and go. Almost similar to the clutch engagement from the E60 SMG days. Can the dealer do a clutch adaptation?

I will be addressing this at the next service.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
I have the same issue in stop and go. Almost similar to the clutch engagement from the E60 SMG days. Can the dealer do a clutch adaptation?

Keep use posted I have the new 2015 M6 GC CP and I am getting an "Inconsistent start off" it needs very careful throttle to get away smoothly now, I am hoping ( only covered 430 miles) it will settle down.

EDIT: just noticed in D1 the car starts in 1st gear, it should be in 2nd.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 11-07-2014 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #33
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I noticed you are from Lawton, do you run winter tires when you get down below 50F? Even in MDM mode our cars are not very fun to drive when the temps are below 50F during the day and below 32F during the night. Add some water to that and your traction control will take over. Making it feel like the car doesn't want to move from a stop.

I find myself in a "lurch" every spring and fall. The car seems to dethrottle a lot to keep the rear tires behaving.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:48 PM   #34
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodLonghorn View Post
Have a 2014 CP. No jerkiness at all in comfort. It starts off in 2nd gear, so the throttle is muted
I wonder if they updated the DCT software then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Throttle in sport. I've no problem.

ps For those with problem, why not change 1 level down for throttle?
It makes no difference. The issue isnt the throttle. Its how the DCT is engaging. Now that I think about, I wonder if its the 2ND clutch engaging! Because to me, the "thump" feeling we are experiencing feels a lot like your foot slipping off the clutch of a manual car at a red light. And it happens after you initially get going. Its not that abrupt, but Im sure you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post

Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Keep use posted I have the new 2015 M6 GC CP and I am getting an "Inconsistent start off" it needs very careful throttle to get away smoothly now, I am hoping ( only covered 430 miles) it will settle down.
That's a bummer. I was hoping maybe a new years software (I have no clue how old my 2013 software is) might have been a solution. Hearing it coming from a M6 makes me think this might be an ugly characteristic of the DCT. However.... my 2011 DCT M3 was not like this AT ALL. It would occasionally do the sudden lung forward when braking (as someone said, threw out an anchor) but taking off was much smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
I noticed you are from Lawton, do you run winter tires when you get down below 50F? Even in MDM mode our cars are not very fun to drive when the temps are below 50F during the day and below 32F during the night. Add some water to that and your traction control will take over. Making it feel like the car doesn't want to move from a stop.

I find myself in a "lurch" every spring and fall. The car seems to dethrottle a lot to keep the rear tires behaving.
Oh man, I wouldn't want the car anymore if I had cold weather. Id jump to the Audi camp. It really bothers me. I can only image how you must feel.

I wonder if we all called BMW NA and complained about this if they would look into it and possible give us a fix. Seems to me that the world has pretty much given up on the M5 though. So they might not even care enough to fix it ...if they even can.
      10-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #35
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodLonghorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
It makes no difference. The issue isnt the throttle. Its how the DCT is engaging. Now that I think about, I wonder if its the 2ND clutch engaging! Because to me, the "thump" feeling we are experiencing feels a lot like your foot slipping off the clutch of a manual car at a red light. And it happens after you initially get going. Its not that abrupt, but Im sure you get the point.
Mine moves off in 1st gear.

If I set my throttle in sport plus, or I suddenly step hard on it in sport throttle moving off, then yes, mine jumps as mentioned by you.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:23 AM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

I have noticed even in comfort, the M6 GC CP has a more sensitive throttle, since I am a bit slower pressing it from a stop it seems fine.

BUT it's not right, it starts in 1st in MODE D1, it should be in second.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 11-07-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #37
mimustang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post

You have to be careful when it gets colder, no leaving BMW M5 shaped imprints in the guardrails... However, it behaved the same when it was warmer (65 ish) last week.

I don't run snow tires, I run a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. I usually try and drive the M5 until just before the snow starts to fly and then it goes to sleep for the winter. I had a 550i that I ran with snows and it did ok, but nothing beats a big-huge-honkin truck through lake-effect snow. In the winter, if you've never experienced the lake effect snow machine, we don't get inches at a time, we get feet of snow at a time... It's, well... yeah, it sucks...

Back on topic - I drop my car off first thing in the morning tomorrow. My service advisor (Ken at Zeigler's is a rock star!!!) is going to try and reset the adaptations and see where that takes us. I'll know tomorrow night if we need to keep searching for a solution or if it's a winner.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #38
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
You have to be careful when it gets colder, no leaving BMW M5 shaped imprints in the guardrails... However, it behaved the same when it was warmer (65 ish) last week.

I don't run snow tires, I run a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. I usually try and drive the M5 until just before the snow starts to fly and then it goes to sleep for the winter. I had a 550i that I ran with snows and it did ok, but nothing beats a big-huge-honkin truck through lake-effect snow. In the winter, if you've never experienced the lake effect snow machine, we don't get inches at a time, we get feet of snow at a time... It's, well... yeah, it sucks...

Back on topic - I drop my car off first thing in the morning tomorrow. My service advisor (Ken at Zeigler's is a rock star!!!) is going to try and reset the adaptations and see where that takes us. I'll know tomorrow night if we need to keep searching for a solution or if it's a winner.

I drove a brand new m5 today and it does the same thing! Even my service advisor noticed it. I even asked him to drive mine and the new one back to back with me. He agreed it didn't feel what he'd consider "normal" either.

I also showed him how pulling in and inching the car into a tight spot is difficult due to the brakes not keeping consistent pressure. He agreed the brakes felt like they held consistency until the seemed to "bite" and hault the car abruptly.

We experienced this in my 2013 m5 and a brand new one back to back.
They both seem to be a characteristics of the M5.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #39
RichDM5
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:

Same here and perfectly described.
2 month old 2014 M5 bought in the UK.
Its in for the recall next week so i'll get them to look at this as well. Thought it was just the power of the car and something i needed to get used to.
2010 Audi S5
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #40
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

I have covered 900 miles in my M6 GC CP now , if I stop at lights the engine goes off, then I take my foot off for a second and the engine starts and I can pull away normally, IF I take my foot off quick and apply power it does jump forward a bit, slow manoeuvring and brakes seem OK.
      11-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Has anyone else noticed that if you roll the car back, the brakes will pulse? Im aware that or cars have hill assist. Which keeps brake pressure on for a few seconds after you use them so you dont roll into a car behind you or something.

But once they have fully let go and you just roll back, mine brakes will pulse by themselves. As if my rotors are badly warped or Im actually pulsating the brake pedal.

I assume this is to not let he car gain backwards speed?
      11-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #42
mimustang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Problem solved!

Picked up the car from the dealer tonight and the problem has been corrected. Car now operates as I think it should. Dealer went through and reset all of the adaptations. Text from the service tech is as follows:

"No faults stored. Completed trans adaptations reset for clutch, shifting and valves. Noted M1 and M2 drive logic buttons were set to start at 2nd gear. Removed setting. "

Not sure where/how/when the 2nd gear start setting were established, but pretty sure the adaptation reset corrected a bad behavior that the car learned. It now starts off from a start like the 535xi loaner that I had today while they worked on my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #43
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
.... Not sure where/how/when the 2nd gear start setting were established...
I recall months ago there was a thread and most of M5 guys mentioned that their car start from 2nd gear at stop and go! I have never experienced this with my M6 and I was wondering if M5 is set like this but M6 not
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #44
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Has anyone else noticed that if you roll the car back, the brakes will pulse? Im aware that or cars have hill assist. Which keeps brake pressure on for a few seconds after you use them so you dont roll into a car behind you or something.

But once they have fully let go and you just roll back, mine brakes will pulse by themselves. As if my rotors are badly warped or Im actually pulsating the brake pedal.

I assume this is to not let he car gain backwards speed?
That's a good point. Yes our cars have hill assist and I have experienced it several times. It's like a very soft pulse that slows down the car and depends on the slop can or cannot stop the car! You can test it. It happens slightly after 2 second assistance!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0