M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

I've driven around town and before pulling into the garage, gotten out and looked into the exhaust. The flap was closed both times.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #46
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
I've driven around town and before pulling into the garage, gotten out and looked into the exhaust. The flap was closed both times.
Right "Wire it then for me".
      05-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #47
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
I wonder if the USA have different ECU settings etc, to open and close the valves, because mine are definitely open all the time, after warm up.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #48
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
I wonder if the USA have different ECU settings etc, to open and close the valves, because mine are definitely open all the time, after warm up.
I too have checked mine repeatedly after running the car and have yet to find them closed. The only time that they are shut is at cold start, and only for a few min and then they open. I was trying to find a way to mount my GoPro under the car by the valve to see conclusively but have not had a chance to do that...maybe this weekend.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #49
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Thats interesting Simon, I will have to check on mine when it arrives, it could be here in September now according to Listers
      05-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #50
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I have wired mine open and there is defiantly more noise. Read somewhere that in sports plus the valves are open all the time?

I have decided to order the Eisenmann Race version and should get it fitted sometime in June.....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #51
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
I have wired mine open and there is defiantly more noise. Read somewhere that in sports plus the valves are open all the time?

I have decided to order the Eisenmann Race version and should get it fitted sometime in June.....
Lovely,
Looking forward to your opinion on the Eisenmann Race. Its definitly on my hit list for the M5, but i appear to have to buy a garden shed first
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #52
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post

Keep us in the loop, it will be a good mod.
      05-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #53
Mbmw5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
The next step in this process would be to gut the OEM muffler. Sure thinking about that mod next.
I am running a modified OEM muffler setup on my car. You can actually get those from Performing imports. It removes the valves altogether and replaces the OEM 45mm pipe with a 65mm to make it basically a straight thru system. Sounds very nice as well. Nice throaty V8 sound without any raspiness or over the top noise. They are also now in the process of developing prototype tips to enhance the look over the small OEM ones.
Question: If you install say a Turner axle back exhaust system will that remove the valves completely? I'm waiting for my new M5 to arrive within a few weeks and the first mod I want to do is exhaust. Any recommendations out there?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #54
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbmw5 View Post
Question: If you install say a Turner axle back exhaust system will that remove the valves completely? I'm waiting for my new M5 to arrive within a few weeks and the first mod I want to do is exhaust. Any recommendations out there?
Yes the Turner exhaust will remove the mufflers and exhaust valves
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-17...k-exhaust.aspx
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #55
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Yes the Turner exhaust will remove the mufflers and exhaust valves
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-17...k-exhaust.aspx
Yes but you have to cut the STD Exhaust to fit it. What about when you sell, how do you return it to stock?.
Weld a pipe sleeve on the old system?.
      06-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #56
Axvel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Just did this mod, with wire. If anyone cares, there is not much difference. Even me living in the cole de sac community of garages, it didn't make much of a sound and after like 30 sec it quieted down all together. On a cold start mind you.

What i did... I disconnected the vacuum line and tied down the valve with aluminum wire as per instructions.

I hear something here and there but not much.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #57
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
I too have checked mine repeatedly after running the car and have yet to find them closed. The only time that they are shut is at cold start, and only for a few min and then they open. I was trying to find a way to mount my GoPro under the car by the valve to see conclusively but have not had a chance to do that...maybe this weekend.
Did you find out if they stayopen?.
      06-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #58
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Did you find out if they stayopen?.
Haven't had the time to check this out definitively. Still on the list though
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #59
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axvel View Post
Just did this mod, with wire. If anyone cares, there is not much difference. Even me living in the cole de sac community of garages, it didn't make much of a sound and after like 30 sec it quieted down all together. On a cold start mind you.

What i did... I disconnected the vacuum line and tied down the valve with aluminum wire as per instructions.

You may have just left the vacuum tube connected, it will not do anything once the valve it strapped open, and can not leak.
If it leaks then you get problems.
      07-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #60
Axvel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Quote:

You may have just left the vacuum tube connected, it will not do anything once the valve it strapped open, and can not leak.
If it leaks then you get problems.
Can you please explain? After i tie the valves down, should i disconnect the rubber vacuum line or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #61
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Can you please explain? After i tie the valves down, should i disconnect the rubber vacuum line or not?
He means you have to somehow seal the vacuum lines , either by plugging them or leave them connected to the actuators for the exhaust flaps.
If you unplug the vacuum line and leave it "open" you will notice a significant change in performance/driveability
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #62
Axvel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
Quote:
He means you have to somehow seal the vacuum lines , either by plugging them or leave them connected to the actuators for the exhaust flaps.
If you unplug the vacuum line and leave it "open" you will notice a significant change in performance/driveability
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #63
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

I have wired my LCI M5 exhaust Valves Open before I pick it up on Sunday, also fitted the CYBA Black chrome Tips. Looks and sounds great.
      09-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #64
us_matrix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY14 M5 Black Sapphire

Any update on this? I would be very interested to do that.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Btw you can also modify the vacuum setup so the exhaust valves are ALWAYS open , no need to use chicken/barb wire at all. Looks OEM and works perfectly. Over night the valves will close (loosing vacuum) but as soon as you start the engine they'll be open again.
I will take some detailed pictures/info when I get back from my trip next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #65
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by us_matrix View Post
Any update on this? I would be very interested to do that.

Thanks.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:08 AM   #66
M5_Lucky_Driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Hello,

just to inform you and if you do not know that solution (I already mentioned it in my other thread but thought, you already know this product):

I have installed the insideperformance M5 flap-control-unit. It is a small piece of elecrtonic with only two wires - installation in the trunk took me only about 30 minutes. Just like pug and play.. with this unit, you have FULL control over the exhaust flaps. You can open and close them at ANY time with the stock M1 button.. independant of which exhaust system you have installed. It works perfect with my BMW performance muffler.
The unit links the flaps to the M1 button on the steeringwheel. So at anytime I aktivate M1, flaps are off.. independant of what my M1 settings are -e ven if I put all settings on "economic" it works..

http://www.insideperformance.de/onli...37/language/en

In my opinion a much better solution than blocking the flaps from working with a zip / wire. My wife would kill me if I was not able to go out of the garage with closed flaps early in the morning (but some days I do - anyway *hehe*)

greetings from Spain
Appreciate 0