M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS ALPHA View Post
As I stated above the 2500-3500 is just boost control and we will smooth that up. The trailing off effect after 6000...well that's the turbos starting to run out of gas. At this level we are just about maxing out what they can do. I would imagine with some race gas we can put a bit more timing at it and pick up another 20-30whp but the turbos are not going to make anymore big gains.

Eric
I understand the low end issue and what you are explaining.
I also agree with you about top end and the fact that turbos probably run out of gas, but are you sure it's not because HPFP must be reprogrammed for higher pressures? The reason I'm bringing this to your attention is because I rememebr months ago a guy who had PPPerformance tuned was talking about the same issue in higher speed. It might be the same issue
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #24
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
As I stated above the 2500-3500 is just boost control and we will smooth that up. The trailing off effect after 6000...well that's the turbos starting to run out of gas. At this level we are just about maxing out what they can do. I would imagine with some race gas we can put a bit more timing at it and pick up another 20-30whp but the turbos are not going to make anymore big gains.

Eric
I also agree with you about top end and the fact that turbos probably run out of gas, but are you sure it's not because HPFP must be reprogrammed for higher pressures? The reason I'm bringing this to your attention is because I rememebr months ago a guy who had PPPerformance tuned was talking about the same issue in higher speed. It might be the same issue
That guy could possibly be M-Bitious?

He had issues with his PP piggyback tune, but all those was resolved with the ECU flash tune by Leib he has reported

EDIT:

That was probably what you meant... Since they had identified that issue they could also rectify it with the flash tune and know that it had to be dealt with when writing the software.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #25
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F06

Such great news, I can't wait !!! Few questions

1. Do you think we will be able to get into 700whp range with mods without having to use methanol ? Or at least to use methanol for additional 20-30 hp but without fully depending on it ?

2. The turbos that you're planning to install are going to be direct swap just with upgraded internals ? If I plan on installing other brand turbos will you be able to provide with tune ?

Thanks
      01-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #26
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik K. View Post
Not so amazing to me..
Yes the figures are good.
But Leib Engineering did manage to get the same numbers out of the M5 of M-Bitious with a better torque curve.
BR-Performance is reached also figures nearly the same like this.
Yes, but these guys are local to us, it wont cost us 3000 euros and we all know they make killer cars.
      01-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #27
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Not so amazing to me..
But Leib Engineering did manage to get the same numbers out of the M5 of M-Bitious with a better torque curve.

They are German. not very many Americans are willing to ship off their CPU to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #28
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
That guy could possibly be M-Bitious?
You are correct about that guy.
BTW, that guy never posted any dyno after that and never reported back here...
Quote:
He had issues with his PP piggyback tune, but all those was resolved with the ECU flash tune by Leib he has reported

EDIT:

That was probably what you meant... Since they had identified that issue they could also rectify it with the flash tune and know that it had to be dealt with when writing the software.
This is my point. ECU tuning must resolve the issue by reprogramming the HPFP
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
znammzM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 SG M6

price? is this going to cost an arm and a leg for it or affordable like 2K?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #30
AMS ALPHA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Not so amazing to me..
Unless they are running on a dynojet comparing power numbers is pointless. This isn't meant to discredit what anyone else is doing just stating that comparing two different dynos will give you virtually no comparable data. Others will be able to do what we have done / are already. I think what sets us apart is that we are actually doing it, we are stateside and we have a resume that most other tuning companies do not. Not to sound cocky but there is about 15-20,000 HP behind the door to my office right now. This isn't our first go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Fueling has nothing to do with it. The amount of psi a turbo can sustain is most often related to the turbo itself as is true in this case. These guys are just running out of steam is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartian777 View Post
Such great news, I can't wait !!! Few questions

1. Do you think we will be able to get into 700whp range with mods without having to use methanol ? Or at least to use methanol for additional 20-30 hp but without fully depending on it ?

2. The turbos that you're planning to install are going to be direct swap just with upgraded internals ? If I plan on installing other brand turbos will you be able to provide with tune ?

Thanks
I dont know if these stock turbos will ever touch 700whp on our dynojet. More importantly you would be squeezing the ever living hell out of them which is never a good idea.

Yes, the turbos we are putting in are drop in turbos. No modification required.

We will not make a tune for any other turbos outside of our own offerings.

Eric

Last edited by AMS ALPHA; 01-14-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #31
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS ALPHA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I am still under warranty, when I take the M5 to the dealer for service, is it possible for them to overwrite/remove your tune when they have the car connected to the BMW diagnostic machine?
Connecting it wont overwrite it but if they load in a new software etc its very possible they could overwrite our tune. If that was the case you would have to send the ECU back in so we can load it back on. We do this same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Amazing news. Will you be offering a tune and upgrades turbos for the M4/3???
Very likely, IND is going to be bringing their shop M4 here once we greet light them. At the moment we are up to our ears in projects so I had to put that off for a few weeks.

Eric
Tell Ilia to get his ass there asap :

I'll be waiting with my check book very ready.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #32
AMS ALPHA
Private
Rep

Quote:

LOL Ilia was ready a week ago. We are the ones delaying things. We have a few projects we need to clear up before we bring the M3/M4 platform on.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #33
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS ALPHA
Quote:

LOL Ilia was ready a week ago. We are the ones delaying things. We have a few projects we need to clear up before we bring the M3/M4 platform on.

Eric
Epic. I was the one on the phone with Larry this morning, btw.

-Tim
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #34
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Unless they are running on a dynojet comparing power numbers is pointless. This isn't meant to discredit what anyone else is doing just stating that comparing two different dynos will give you virtually no comparable data. Others will be able to do what we have done / are already. I think what sets us apart is that we are actually doing it, we are stateside and we have a resume that most other tuning companies do not. Not to sound cocky but there is about 15-20,000 HP behind the door to my office right now. This isn't our first go around.

Fueling has nothing to do with it. The amount of psi a turbo can sustain is most often related to the turbo itself as is true in this case. These guys are just running out of steam is all.

I dont know if these stock turbos will ever touch 700whp on our dynojet. More importantly you would be squeezing the ever living hell out of them which is never a good idea.

Yes, the turbos we are putting in are drop in turbos. No modification required.

We will not make a tune for any other turbos outside of our own offerings.

Eric
Can we integrate meth instead of using race fuel ( more convenient just to have a 3 gallon tank ) for additional 20-30 whp as mentioned ? Will drop in turbos cost above 5k ? Thanks !
      01-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #35
AMS ALPHA
Private
Rep

No our drop in turbos will not cost over 5K... in fact they are right at $5k.

To be perfectly frank we dont like methanol injection here. We have used it in the past and the simple truth is no system is perfect or even close to it. The only time we feel comfortable using it is for cooling reasons and only on a 50/50 split. This way if the system fails its not going to hurt anything. Running pure methanol is is a crutch and one we just dont feel safe using. Making power is one thing but making reliable power is a different ball game.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #36
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

Quote:

To be perfectly frank we dont like methanol injection here. We have used it in the past and the simple truth is no system is perfect or even close to it. The only time we feel comfortable using it is for cooling reasons and only on a 50/50 split. This way if the system fails its not going to hurt anything. Running pure methanol is is a crutch and one we just dont feel safe using. Making power is one thing but making reliable power is a different ball game.

Eric
I love you <3
      01-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #37
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Eric
Will you have any package deal if I get both tune and turbo at the same time ? Thanks !
      01-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #38
AurélienFxx
Rep
Drives: Whatever Fxx @ shop

Proper job guys !!

Hello to the whole AMS team !
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #39
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

Please remember BMW owners are more poor than AMG, and it many more of us who will tune, so please keep the tuning price like for Jaguar at least )))))))
      01-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #40
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Ams -

3 questions if I may?

1) will you tune an m5 to run on e85?
2)Are you able to fully rescale fuel maps?
3)any plans for an ob2 flashing option?

Can you also show any fueling maps?
      01-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #41
AMS ALPHA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Will you have any package deal if I get both tune and turbo at the same time ? Thanks !
We will offer a package deal for the tune with the turbos as the tune for the turbos will obviously be different.

Quote:
I love you <3
:BRO HUG:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurélienFxx View Post
Proper job guys !!

Hello to the whole AMS team !
Thank you buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Ams -

3 questions if I may?

1) will you tune an m5 to run on e85?
2)Are you able to fully rescale fuel maps?
3)any plans for an ob2 flashing option?

Can you also show any fueling maps?
I dont know if the stock system will even support E85

Fuel maps dont really apply to this ECU. That would be something you would use/see on say a stand alone system. Stock ECU's are a bit different.

There is no map we would be comfortable sharing.

OBD flashing is not something we are working on.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #42
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
You are correct about that guy.
BTW, that guy never posted any dyno after that and never reported back here...

This is my point. ECU tuning must resolve the issue by reprogramming the HPFP
Dynographs was posted here:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=136

Vbox times was also posted, which improved 0,5s on his previous "higher power" PP tune... He only could do one wet Vbox run though. After that the weather has been wet/winter where he lives, so no more runs done apparently.

He has "reported" back here, but he does not post very often. But there has been several posts after he had the Leib tune done (here and also on the F8x forums).

But, that is OT for this thread though
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #43
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

I dont know if the stock system will even support E85

Fuel maps dont really apply to this ECU. That would be something you would use/see on say a stand alone system. Stock ECU's are a bit different.

There is no map we would be comfortable sharing.

OBD flashing is not something we are working on.

Eric
Perhaps I should have said fueling tables.

Are you able to access fuel and rescale it as you wish? How are stock ecu's different? The N54 (135i/335i) had this done all day long and the adjustments were a standard for any flash tune, especially if you were to run different fuels. This is a direct injected motor and almost any modern BMW fueling system can support ethanol...You guys are an extremely reputable shop, i am just making sure this isn't smoke and mirrors and a name alone won't handle that. Please tell me what I am missing here...
      01-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #44
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Perhaps I should have said fueling tables.

Are you able to access fuel and rescale it as you wish? How are stock ecu's different? The N54 (135i/335i) had this done all day long and the adjustments were a standard for any flash tune, especially if you were to run different fuels. This is a direct injected motor and almost any modern BMW fueling system can support ethanol...You guys are an extremely reputable shop, i am just making sure this isn't smoke and mirrors and a name alone won't handle that. Please tell me what I am missing here...
Well if there's going to be good power gains without fueling issues I don't see a point of using e85, at least for me.