M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #133
mrhonest
Oil pump waitlister
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Frozen Black

I would also like to join this cause with my 18 way POS seat, 20 is definitely what I need, now that I know I am missing it. Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #134
RKJ10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Space Grey

I also don't have the buttons and thought that it was a typo in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #135
Omar
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonest View Post
I would also like to join this cause with my 18 way POS seat, 20 is definitely what I need, now that I know I am missing it. Subscribed
I do not have the two buttons either. I am writing a letter tonight. I am a lawyer and disappointed with the false advertisment. We are definetly entitled to a partial refund and more...

First we had to wait for our cars more than a month for the bogus EPA certification pretext. Second, We receive the car without the advertised seats adjustment. Third, the car has a fautlty oil pump (though mine is not listed thus far). It is too much for a brand new car that costs around $100,000. This is not good for its value.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #136
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I'm actually more disappointed in the lack of High Beam assist, which is also described in my manual.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #137
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
I'm actually more disappointed in the lack of High Beam assist, which is also described in my manual.
Unfortunately I can't confirm the lack of the High Beam Assistant on my M5 since it is on the boat at the moment, but if there are more owners who report that they do not have this standard feature, perhaps we should start another thread and address this to BMW too.

I'll just check my M5 manual since it is all that I have of the car right now. Gives me something to read anyways.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #138
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

BMW Canada has responded.. not sure where this puts us.

"I think there is a bit of confusion here. Lumbar support is the big round 4-way button, which is included on the M5. The two small buttons are the adjustable seat bolsters, which are not on M5. Seat bolster adjustment is no longer available from the factory."

09-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #139
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Unfortunately I can't confirm the lack of the High Beam Assistant on my M5 since it is on the boat at the moment, but if there are more owners who report that they do not have this standard feature, perhaps we should start another thread and address this to BMW too.

I'll just check my M5 manual since it is all that I have of the car right now. Gives me something to read anyways.
Nope no HB assist either ...

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #140
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Our cars don't have High Beam assist - but that wasn't in the spec sheet like the 20-way seats were.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #141
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
BMW Canada has responded.. not sure where this puts us.

"I think there is a bit of confusion here. Lumbar support is the big round 4-way button, which is included on the M5. The two small buttons are the adjustable seat bolsters, which are not on M5. Seat bolster adjustment is no longer available from the factory."

Wrong. There was never confusion about Lumbar support.

Advertised 20 way -> Delivered 18 way. Response?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #142
puffysheep
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Hey guys,

I got a phone call from executive office of BMW NA today.
Unfortunately, I missed the call because I was in a meeting but I will update you guys tomorrow after I get to speak the representative.
I hope it's not a lame apology followed by there isn't anything they can do speech.
As much as I love BMW, if they pull that kind of excuse tomorrow, we should all seriously consider suing...
What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #143
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

What do you guys think?

As long as you asked --

My life isn't perfect, I'm unhappy, I have to find someone to sue! Don't you just love America!

I've been following this thread and the oil pump campaign thread and, personally, I find it sad the way some people are responding. I can discount those that clearly don't have a clue about how a product as complex as an M5 is designed and built, how problems are identified and addressed, or how long it takes to accomplish something in the absence of a magic button that can be pushed to instantly produce and install a part.

However, anyone that buys a new car and expects it to be perfect, and will "sue" if it's not, is not being rational. In the U. S. the J. D. Powers and Associates company has been publishing Initial Quality reports on how many defects and problems new cars have. It is by manufacturer and model. I don't recall seeing a single model that had none. If we all demanded perfect cars, that never broke or had a problem, we couldn't afford to buy them. So it is only safe to assume that a new car we buy may not be perfect. Stuff happens and how we deal with it will be more an illustration of what we are than what the company that tries it's best to fix the problem (without having the benefit of a magic button) is.

My car is on the list of cars that could have a defective oil pump. Do I wish that wasn't so--of course. Am I going to be inconvienced -- of course but I'll deal with it. But yelling and stomping my feet isn't going to make the problem go away. I want the problem fixed and by their actions I'm pretty sure BMW wants it fixed as well. I will work with them to get it fixed. Calling my lawyer doesn't seem like the best way to do this.

I also think it isn't correct for me to not accept responsibility for the consequences of my own decisions. If I don't carefully study the details of the contract I sign it is no one else's fault if I didn't get what I wanted. I wanted the adjustable side bolsters but I did enough research before signing my purchase agreement to know they weren't going to be available or included. I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone that assumed they'd get them based upon a cursory reading of their contract and didn't notice that they weren't included. As an aside, in the Owner's Manual, on almost every page, there is a statement that the manual describes features and functions that may not be on the car. I decided that the rest of the car was worth having so I bought it without the adjustable side bolsters. To me, saying you wouldn't buy the car had you known it didn't include the adjustable bolsters is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. For what it's worth, BMW is trying to get the U. S. Government safety bureaucrats to approve the adjustable side bolsters in the M5; they may become available in the future. I won't be disappointed if it does get approved because I accept the consequences of the decision I made to buy the car without them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to have had them available when I bought the car.

Life isn't perfect and that's ok with me because I have a new M5! It may not be perfect but I trust BMW to take care of fixing the one problem it has. It may not happen today but as far as I'm concerned it will be done in a reasonable time. I can deal with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #144
Tigumz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; Z8(03)-Blk

Garage List
2003 BMW Z8  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
.........For what it's worth, BMW is trying to get the U. S. Government safety bureaucrats to approve the adjustable side bolsters in the M5; they may become available in the future........
First I heard of that being the reason. *IF* that is the case, then I concur totally with your post.
2004 Ferrari 360CS, 07 Lotus Exige S
Former M cars: Euro E30 M3, 01 E39 M5, 08 E60 M5, F10 M5, 18 M2Comp
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #145
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Wrong. There was never confusion about Lumbar support.

Advertised 20 way -> Delivered 18 way. Response?
One thing to remember - I believe that the 20-way seats were shown only on the bmwusa.com specs. I believe the bmw canada specs always showed 18 way seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #146
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigumz View Post
First I heard of that being the reason. *IF* that is the case, then I concur totally with your post.
I was told that last Friday when I had dinner with the BMW NA person that was the F10 M Brand Manager. (The position has been eliminated by NA but he is still with the company and was most recently responsible for producing the M5/M6 Product Launch for journalists at Laguna Seca August 20-21.) I would assume he knows!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #147
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Just got off the phone with BMW NA. Guess there is an email that was "just received" buy the customer relations folks, and, it stated that the new F10 M5 does not have 20-way seats due to the new model having comfort seats. I asked if there was any additional information, and the representative said no, looks like a "mistake". Has anyone heard any formal announcement or more info?

FYI, I am not looking to sue them, just want an explanation for the change. Was it a mistake, or, as Racer Louis pointed out did the US Government block them at some point between NA announcement and first delivery?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #148
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

The regional service manager who was supposed to call me, never did as expected. I don't want an explanation why it was left off, I want ADJUSTABLE BOLSTERS
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #149
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
As long as you asked --

My life isn't perfect, I'm unhappy, I have to find someone to sue! Don't you just love America!

I've been following this thread and the oil pump campaign thread and, personally, I find it sad the way some people are responding. I can discount those that clearly don't have a clue about how a product as complex as an M5 is designed and built, how problems are identified and addressed, or how long it takes to accomplish something in the absence of a magic button that can be pushed to instantly produce and install a part.

However, anyone that buys a new car and expects it to be perfect, and will "sue" if it's not, is not being rational. In the U. S. the J. D. Powers and Associates company has been publishing Initial Quality reports on how many defects and problems new cars have. It is by manufacturer and model. I don't recall seeing a single model that had none. If we all demanded perfect cars, that never broke or had a problem, we couldn't afford to buy them. So it is only safe to assume that a new car we buy may not be perfect. Stuff happens and how we deal with it will be more an illustration of what we are than what the company that tries it's best to fix the problem (without having the benefit of a magic button) is.

My car is on the list of cars that could have a defective oil pump. Do I wish that wasn't so--of course. Am I going to be inconvienced -- of course but I'll deal with it. But yelling and stomping my feet isn't going to make the problem go away. I want the problem fixed and by their actions I'm pretty sure BMW wants it fixed as well. I will work with them to get it fixed. Calling my lawyer doesn't seem like the best way to do this.

I also think it isn't correct for me to not accept responsibility for the consequences of my own decisions. If I don't carefully study the details of the contract I sign it is no one else's fault if I didn't get what I wanted. I wanted the adjustable side bolsters but I did enough research before signing my purchase agreement to know they weren't going to be available or included. I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone that assumed they'd get them based upon a cursory reading of their contract and didn't notice that they weren't included. As an aside, in the Owner's Manual, on almost every page, there is a statement that the manual describes features and functions that may not be on the car. I decided that the rest of the car was worth having so I bought it without the adjustable side bolsters. To me, saying you wouldn't buy the car had you known it didn't include the adjustable bolsters is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. For what it's worth, BMW is trying to get the U. S. Government safety bureaucrats to approve the adjustable side bolsters in the M5; they may become available in the future. I won't be disappointed if it does get approved because I accept the consequences of the decision I made to buy the car without them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to have had them available when I bought the car.

Life isn't perfect and that's ok with me because I have a new M5! It may not be perfect but I trust BMW to take care of fixing the one problem it has. It may not happen today but as far as I'm concerned it will be done in a reasonable time. I can deal with that.
This is the most intelligent post on the backrest and oil pump threads. Thank you, Racer Louis, for a small but refreshing dose of sensibility amidst the rancor.

dk
      09-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #150
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

I hardly took any notice of my adjustable bolsters before this thread started, but now I can't stop playing with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #151
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis
As long as you asked --

I signed my purchase contract that included 20 way seats. Stuck at port over 30 days exposed to the elements, bad oil pump, wrong springs, no adjustable bolsters, yet BMW doesn't deserve any blame? For the record, my previous 7 vehicles spanning all luxury manufacturers were nearly perfect. Therefore, when I decide to buy my first BMW I have a certain level of expectation. The fact they haven't responded to anyone about any issue with a clear cut answer is what exacerbates the matter. BMW needs lessons in service recovery if it expects to remain competitive.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #152
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Just got off the phone with BMW NA. Guess there is an email that was "just received" buy the customer relations folks, and, it stated that the new F10 M5 does not have 20-way seats due to the new model having comfort seats.
I'm not sure that I understand that explanation. The 5GT, 6, M6 and 7 (not to mention my E60 550) have comfort seats -- all of them are 20-way comfort seats with adjustable side bolsters. And one other thing - the M5s in the rest of the world have comfort seats -- again, 20-way comfort seats.

fwiw, I think that there are two issues here. First, why were the side adjustments left off all North American F10s? If it was simple de-contenting, that makes me angry, but it's certainly not unethical. The second issue is the more serious one in my mind. The original US M5 specs stated 20-way seats. Many people purchased their M5s with that spec and BMW then delivered a lesser-spec'd vehicle. Imo, that's the real ethical/customer service issue.

Last edited by hinckley; 09-25-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #153
Tigumz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; Z8(03)-Blk

Garage List
2003 BMW Z8  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh View Post
I hardly took any notice of my adjustable bolsters before this thread started, but now I can't stop playing with them.
Umm, be careful now, overuse could effect your vision.
2004 Ferrari 360CS, 07 Lotus Exige S
Former M cars: Euro E30 M3, 01 E39 M5, 08 E60 M5, F10 M5, 18 M2Comp
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #154
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigumz View Post
Umm, be careful now, overuse could effect your vision.
... or make your palms hairy!!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0