M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

05-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

ED itinerary suggestions

For my anticipated European Delivery in Munich, I plan to take the following route afterwards. Could anybody familiar with these routes/itinerary comment. Also suggestions to add or what should be considered a "must see/do" would be appreciated.

Munich -> Salzburg -> Zurich -> Milan and along the way take the long scenic route leading to the different passes such as Grossglockner, San Bernardino, St Gotthard, Umbrail and Stelvio.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html

for 100oz of beer!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
For my anticipated European Delivery in Munich, I plan to take the following route afterwards. Could anybody familiar with these routes/itinerary comment. Also suggestions to add or what should be considered a "must see/do" would be appreciated.

Munich -> Salzburg -> Zurich -> Milan and along the way take the long scenic route leading to the different passes such as Grossglockner, San Bernardino, St Gotthard, Umbrail and Stelvio.

Thanks.
I wouldn't drive my new M5 into Milan - park it outside of the center of town unless you have driven in Milan before. Lots of nice places to drive/stay in the Lakes North of Milan - why Milan?
My ED is late October with the M5, but this will be my 12th BMW ED

dk
      05-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I wouldn't drive my new M5 into Milan - park it outside of the center of town unless you have driven in Milan before. Lots of nice places to drive/stay in the Lakes North of Milan - why Milan?

dk
dk
How are you going to handle the German tire requirements after October 15th? I moved my ED up because I didnt want to get into a big deal about all that. Just curious?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
dk
How are you going to handle the German tire requirements after October 15th? I moved my ED up because I didnt want to get into a big deal about all that. Just curious?
I will be driving off from Munich on the 3rd of October and will be dropping off the car possibly on the 11th or 12th. My initial plan is to drop it off in Nice. So since it is before October 15th, I would not need All Season or Winter tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
dk
By indicating Milan, I did not mean I will be staying in Milan. I have been in that city several times in the past. I will most possible just pass through outside not taking the route through it. I eventually plan to go to France and possibly drop off the car in Nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
tarmant
tarmant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i-xDrive, Dravit Grey

How long are you planning on stay? Your stops are great as long as you spend a couple days in Munich first. After Zurich, stop in Lucerne on your way to Milan, great city.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
tarmant
tarmant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i-xDrive, Dravit Grey

Stelvio pass

Does anyone have the best route they can provide from Munich to the Stelvio pass. Right now I see it as thru Davos to Bormio and do we catch the pass there?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmant View Post
Does anyone have the best route they can provide from Munich to the Stelvio pass. Right now I see it as thru Davos to Bormio and do we catch the pass there?
Personally I will be hitting the Stelvio Pass from Val Mustair, GraubudNden on the way to Bormio, Lombardia towards Milan, but I will be starting off from Munich to Zurich. I guess in your case if you are directly coming from Munich and want to directly go to the Stelvio Pass, you can go south from Munich to Innsbruck then to Val Mustair, GraubudNden towards Bormio via the Stelvio Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmant View Post
How long are you planning on stay? Your stops are great as long as you spend a couple days in Munich first. After Zurich, stop in Lucerne on your way to Milan, great city.
I have been to the major Swiss cities since almost every winter, my ski group and I have been skiing the Alps flying into the gateway cities of Geneva or Zurich. I sometimes take a day or two exploring these Swiss cities and had on one occasion been to Montreaux. I have also been to Lucerne and can recall the beautiful views of Lake Lucerne. I might just make a short stop. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 05-22-2012 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Answering a second query
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
dk
This is ED #12 for me, so I have some experience in driving in the fall on summer rubber. Last December I rented a set of wheels/snows from ED Tire rental in Munich for the Z4 and may do so on the M5 depending upon how the weather is holding up.
I picked up my 997 TT from the dealer in Bellingham WA and drove it through the mountains to SoCal with PS 2 rubber in January - summer rubber in cold wx isn't quite as bad as some people believe...but I live in Montana in the winter so bad weather is relative

dk