M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
Aussiefishy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Hi guys I am having a slight issue with my DCT and would like to see if anyone here have experienced it/how to fix:

I have a 2014 and During any mode of driving (DCT settings), the down shift was really slow and hesitated while upshifts are okay. This condition will correct itself when I restart the car. The delay/hesitation happens on every gear (5/4/3/2/1) etc. all odd and even gears... I suspect there might be something to do with the programming and not mechanical as the issue did not affect shifting up, and immediately went away after restarting the engine...

As additional info, the car was in the repair shop for some other work that required resetting/flashing the computers (replacing vibration steering module). When I got the car back, the keyless entry wasn't working, as well I couldn't tilt/auto open my sunroof.

Any clue ?? Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Yes, I've had a similar issue after my car was re-flashed following some repair work. Sometimes the DCT will downshift normally after a cold start; i.e., it'll blip the throttle and immediately downshift to the lower gear. Other times (again after a cold start), it won't blip the throttle and there will be a 1 - 2 second delay before downshifting. After 10 minutes or so of driving it'll start operating normally. There is no rhyme or reason to whether it works properly or doesn't. I've been going back and forth with my SA, and we're currently waiting for the next time the BMW NA region manager will be at my dealer so we can have him take a look at it.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
Yes, I've had a similar issue after my car was re-flashed following some repair work. Sometimes the DCT will downshift normally after a cold start; i.e., it'll blip the throttle and immediately downshift to the lower gear. Other times (again after a cold start), it won't blip the throttle and there will be a 1 - 2 second delay before downshifting. After 10 minutes or so of driving it'll start operating normally. There is no rhyme or reason to whether it works properly or doesn't. I've been going back and forth with my SA, and we're currently waiting for the next time the BMW NA region manager will be at my dealer so we can have him take a look at it.
This is also consistent with my experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantage View Post
This is also consistent with my experience.
What we're the circumstances that caused it? Software reflash? How long have you been living with the issue? I'm trying to get my SA any information I can to get this issue fixed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

It's normal lol
Car is anticipating upshift but you downshift and hence the delay.

Go to your local BmW tech and do a trans/clutch relearn process should help.

But yea, it's normal lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
Aussiefishy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
It's normal lol

But yea, it's normal lol
No I don't think it's normal.

I owned the car for 2 years and it never happened before. I suspect there was a software reset when they reinstall the vibration steering module and it happened after that shop visit.

For additional information, these delays were found when I was in manual mode.

From what I know, the DCT gearbox have two sets of clutches, and so it always anticipate/ready for your up or down shifts, as long as you don't shift two gears in sequence too quickly.

I suspect it's the sensor that reads the pressure for operating the downshift and gauge the speed it should be operating the shifts at, and they are recording a less than normal reading, causing it to shift slower... but I am not technical enough to know whether these pressures readers would operate the upshifts as well.

The two times I encounter the delay in downshifts was not on cold starts, and there were really no similarities between the two occasions.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:22 AM   #7
AGS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
It's normal lol

But yea, it's normal lol
It's not normal. This is my second F10 M5 with the DCT. The first one never had this issue, and my current one was fine for almost two years until the most recent software reflash. They tried the relearn process but it did nothing to remedy the issue.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

I guess varies.. I had M6 and now M5 and a clutch relearn and transmission relearn clears things up.
Do a Trans relearn also Not just clutch.
99% of them will only do clutch and not trans.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
AGS
Major
Rep

Next time I talk to the SA I'll ask which relearn procedures they did. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #10
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

I also have a 2014 and have experienced the exact same issue just recently in the past few months. I can confidently say it happens inconsistently and seems to go away by restarting the car (after a slight delay though - I tried turning it off and on again quickly while stopped at a red light and the issue persisted). It's also not related to cold start as the issue persists regardless of driving time.

It's most noticeable for me when I'm coasting/decelerating and manually downshift. The car does not respond to the input (paddle or shifter)and does not atuoblip the throttle. It only automatically downshifts (lethargically) once the rpm's have dropped down low enough ~1k). I have had my system reflashed /reset by dealer but not recently (couple years ago).

I have an appt next Friday and will discuss this with my SA and see where that takes me. Please update and reply to this thread if y'all hear anything new or find out any causes/solutions. Hope this helps lol!

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
AGS
Major
Rep

I finally got my issue corrected. They reflashed the transmission software which resolved the delayed downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
rkb4_photos
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

I am having the same lethargic downshifts that is also intermittent. I noticed that it started happening when the weather got a little cooler even though I park in a garage (coincidental)?

I did notice after the engine hits normal operating temps I would pull over and restart the car and boom, it goes back to normal.

The first time I took it in, I did a ride along with the SA and of course the transmission acted normal, and he said he couldn't do anything since it didn't show any error. I have another appointment setup with another service center that seams more willing to look into the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
Dandadda
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 COMP PACKAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb4_photos View Post
I am having the same lethargic downshifts that is also intermittent. I noticed that it started happening when the weather got a little cooler even though I park in a garage (coincidental)?

I did notice after the engine hits normal operating temps I would pull over and restart the car and boom, it goes back to normal.

The first time I took it in, I did a ride along with the SA and of course the transmission acted normal, and he said he couldn't do anything since it didn't show any error. I have another appointment setup with another service center that seams more willing to look into the issue.
You might want to look at your DCT fluid level. Possible changing the fluid entirely.
JB4 w/BCM
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
rkb4_photos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandadda View Post
You might want to look at your DCT fluid level. Possible changing the fluid entirely.
Is the DCT fluid levels be something that would effect the car sitting only at 22K miles?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #15
Dandadda
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 COMP PACKAGE

I had an issue where my DCT fluids were low leak from the casket. The car would do weird things. wouldn't upshift and go to the proper gear. didn't want to downshift either. Found out I was low on DCT Fluid. I had gasket replaced and Fluid added did a relearn on the dct and issues disappeared. Haven't been back since. Suggested you checked the fluids or changed it based off of what my experience was.
JB4 w/BCM
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #16
Hirenarora
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I have been having the same problem for a week now. Only in the morning for 10-15 minutes. I did notice every time i downshift i get a warning on Low Engine Coolant. I am on my way to to add some Coolant hopefully it would solve this.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
rkb4_photos
Rep

Issue has been resolved! I took my car in to get the rotors replaces and explained that I was having lethargic downshifts. My SA was able to run my key to see if there were any software updates available which popped a DCT Transmission software update message.

Ever since the update the shifts have been quick and precise. It feels like an M again!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
LOYLTY
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Hello - Very good information here. I have a similar problem where I can't get out 2nd in D3 mode on my 2013 M5. It would just hold in 2nd with the RPM up to 7000. Letting go of the gas so that the RPM drops to 3000, the car then shifts into 3rd. It sounds like having the car flashed may solve the problem. What does the dealer charge to do this?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #19
rkb4_photos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOYLTY View Post
Hello - Very good information here. I have a similar problem where I can't get out 2nd in D3 mode on my 2013 M5. It would just hold in 2nd with the RPM up to 7000. Letting go of the gas so that the RPM drops to 3000, the car then shifts into 3rd. It sounds like having the car flashed may solve the problem. What does the dealer charge to do this?
Mine was still covered under warranty, but if I remember it was about $50-75 on the invoice. I have been taking my M to the Alexandria location, which IMO has been fantastic for customer support.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
LOYLTY
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #21
Aussiefishy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just an update from my original issue stated.

Finally the issue is resolved by totally re-flashing all of the software modules in the car. I guess when they reprogrammed some parts of the car ( in this case the steering wheel angle sensor / vibration module was the beginning of the issue), that version of the software was not compliant to the rest of the car ( DCT was affected). When this issue was happening I luckily was test-driving with a service tech, then dealer got BMW Canada involved then BMW Germany, they then refresh the car's software completely and now the issue is completely gone.

Cars nowadays are so complex and computer centric then I find it impossible to even think of owning this for longer than the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #22
LOYLTY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiefishy View Post
Just an update from my original issue stated.

Finally the issue is resolved by totally re-flashing all of the software modules in the car. I guess when they reprogrammed some parts of the car ( in this case the steering wheel angle sensor / vibration module was the beginning of the issue), that version of the software was not compliant to the rest of the car ( DCT was affected). When this issue was happening I luckily was test-driving with a service tech, then dealer got BMW Canada involved then BMW Germany, they then refresh the car's software completely and now the issue is completely gone.

Cars nowadays are so complex and computer centric then I find it impossible to even think of owning this for longer than the warranty period.
Great to hear that your problem got fixed. My car has been in the shop going two weeks now. They told me they flashed the software but when I went to drive it to confirm the issue has been fixed, it was still there. Can you share all the components that were flashed to fix your issue? How did BMW Germany get involved? The dealer is telling me that a Regional Engineer needs to come take a look at it.
Appreciate 0