BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-16-2023, 08:48 AM   #1
Ednedwards
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Random clicking noise from engine

After changing oil on my 13' m5 with 5w40 liqui moly molygen my car has developed a slight random ticking noise coming from the what I think is the front of the engine area. This was the second time using this oil and prior all changes were 5w40 liqui moly every 4k miles. I did go to 4500 miles before this last oil change. I've owned the car for the last 20k miles with no issues. I've attached a video from YouTube of the sound. The car has been at 2 Hendrick bmw dealers for over a combined 20 days without any diagnosis of what the sound is. I had one dealer foreman tell me it was possibly internal and then the other dealer foreman says it isn't, but neither can figure it out even with 5 other techs. The sound only happens when the car is warm and it does go with the rpm. I do have an aftermarket warranty on the car that's pretty good. It expires in January or at 75k. I've basically parked the car until this is resolved. And the car has no engine modifications. Seems I'm not the only person with this noise from other people commenting, but no one can figure their issue out either.

https://youtube.com/shorts/EGHuhzt1D6A?feature=share4
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 09:24 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

In my handbook it says only to use 0W30 or 0W40 FS viscosity oil,A3/B4 spec. If you just had the oil changed and it started happening, who changed the oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 06:56 AM   #3
m5dream
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10m5

Hmmm how can 2 different dealers not figure out the noise. It sounds like they don’t want to figure it out cuz they know it’s likely a bottom end replacement and they don’t want to do the work
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:50 PM   #4
cortega
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Same noise in my M6 after doing my first oil change, two months after buying the car. I used Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40. Noticed the noise same as the OP, only when warm on low RPMs. Even tried contacting Liqui Moly with no luck. Tried their lifter treatment with no change. I read on the e9x M3 forums something very similar with a few of them pointing the problem as something with the Liqui Moly oil. I decided to change the oil, did tried to get 0w-30 euro formula in any brand but found none locally. Could have gone OEM but for way to expensive at the dealer. Found Castrol Edge Euro Formula 5W-40, did the oil change and added a bottle of Ceratec, noise is gone.

I can’t blame the oil since a lot of people have good experience with it with no issues. Was the oil brand or the Ceratec that did the trick? don’t know. It would be good to know why the noise is present with this specific oil in my case.

Just uploded 2 videos on youtube, you can barely hear the noise but its there.

I’m no youtube expert but if the link doesn’t work, try searching for “F13 M6 ticking noise from engine”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wq0x...NraW5nIG5vaXNl
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 04:26 PM   #5
Ednedwards
Registered
Rep

Sorry for the late responses... dealing with family medical stuff and haven't had time to drive the car. Had it sitting at the dealer for a couple weeks. They only drove the car once during this time and couldn't get it resurface. I went by 2 days ago and picked it up in hopes of getting the ticking sound to resurface. Drive it like they are suppose to be driven and couldn't get anything to come about. Drove it 400 miles yesterday and seems to be coming back. You can barely hear it now. I'm going to top the oil off since it's had 1100 since the change and curious if pressure might bring it back, worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
In my handbook it says only to use 0W30 or 0W40 FS viscosity oil,A3/B4 spec. If you just had the oil changed and it started happening, who changed the oil.
A reputable close family friend of mine's shop. I trust them, they do mostly exotic cars.. tend to drool walking around there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5dream View Post
Hmmm how can 2 different dealers not figure out the noise. It sounds like they don’t want to figure it out cuz they know it’s likely a bottom end replacement and they don’t want to do the work
No one can get it to make the noise long enough, but Hendrick bmw Northlake seem determined to find the issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortega View Post
Same noise in my M6 after doing my first oil change, two months after buying the car. I used Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40. Noticed the noise same as the OP, only when warm on low RPMs. Even tried contacting Liqui Moly with no luck. Tried their lifter treatment with no change. I read on the e9x M3 forums something very similar with a few of them pointing the problem as something with the Liqui Moly oil. I decided to change the oil, did tried to get 0w-30 euro formula in any brand but found none locally. Could have gone OEM but for way to expensive at the dealer. Found Castrol Edge Euro Formula 5W-40, did the oil change and added a bottle of Ceratec, noise is gone.

I can’t blame the oil since a lot of people have good experience with it with no issues. Was the oil brand or the Ceratec that did the trick? don’t know. It would be good to know why the noise is present with this specific oil in my case.

Just uploded 2 videos on youtube, you can barely hear the noise but its there.

I’m no youtube expert but if the link doesn’t work, try searching for “F13 M6 ticking noise from engine”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wq0x...NraW5nIG5vaXNl
That's crazy! Same exact noise! I used liqui moly before this and never had this noise until switching to molygen. Going to change the oil to what i use to run and maybe run it without the ceratec, but tbh I've ran liquimoly additives with positive results on other vehicles I've owned. Appreciate the comment. A little bit of hope.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 04:36 PM   #6
cortega
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Happy to bring a little hope. I know how you feel, having this noise and thinking the worst. Let us know the results!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
Ednedwards
Registered
Rep

Update...

Changed back to 5W40 Leichtlauf High Tech and went away after letting the car idle almost immediately. I went ahead and put half a bottle of Ceratec and nothing in 400 miles. Guess I shoulda never switched. It's definitely the additive in molygen making the lifter sounds more ambient. And my reasoning on this as well was as mileage added up the noise wasn't as intermittent. "If it's not broken".... and after reading about all the coyote engines and the bbq tick, and how ceratec resolved their issues immediately, I wish I'd ran this soon in the car to see its effects on the rod bearings.
Appreciate 1
cortega20.50
      08-25-2023, 08:42 AM   #8
RossStemple
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0