M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

01-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
After 2.5 years of my 2013 M5.

Hello members, long time no see and I hope all of you are very well.

Wish you all the bests for 2016.

For those who do not recall, I was the one who opened a thread about "how old are you to drive M5". I was in Toronto but now I am residing in Victoria BC.

The car is with me and tons of unforgettable memoirs with the car.

How are your M5s holding on?

I am literally visiting service centres once/twice a month to top up my engine oil.

Here are my main work order histories.

1. One of the turbo replaced.
2. Front brake system replaced (due to squeaking noise) was lucky on this one because they replaced at the point about 2 years mark. However fron brake system still makes the noise
3. Catalytic converter (both sides) replaced.

Those are already 20k repair costs.

However, there are still problems and my car is going for the service again.

1. Engine ping at acceleration. Happens around 1600 ~ 2300 RPM.
Quite not sure if this is engine ping but mechanics claim
2. Rattling noise when RPM decreased from "N" geared acceleration.
3. Lack of power.
4. Shaky feeling when care is at high speed 100~120km when more acceleration is applied.
5. Transmission click noise when gear shifts at very low speed (parking lot browsing)

Oil top up not consistent. 1000km top up sometimes 500km top up given same driving behaviour.

When I was in Toronto, there was an incident that the car started to shake heavily like someone who failed to put the first gear for a manual car. I was stopping at red light. I thought it was some truck, bus or street car passed by. Then the car went into safe mode for hours having drive-train malfunction warning on. The next day the warning disappeared so not much was done at the service centre.

Ever since I fell the lack of power. That's how I got the catalytic converter replaced. After the replacement, the car seemed re-gain the power but it's not 560bhp I think.

My work order pile with BMW will be the thickest in this forum i guess.

Anyone with similar issue?

I am taking the car in on 20th of this month and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I remember you, I guess you have moved to GVA for good then. Your car was also in an accident (hit your rear) at around Yonge & Steeles, not long after you got your car, if I recalled

Your oil consumption was the same as mine then, at least we have something in common, along with the brake squeaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Had squeaking brakes issue for the longest time. Tech took off the pads and chamfered the edges and that resolved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I remember you, I guess you have moved to GVA for good then. Your car was also in an accident (hit your rear) at around Yonge & Steeles, not long after you got your car, if I recalled

Your oil consumption was the same as mine then, at least we have something in common, along with the brake squeaking.
Hello bobblehead. Yea my car was in accident but it was frontal.

Another member had rear hit but more of soda spill in the gearshift area.

I wonder what is going on with that member.

Anyways I secretly saw your replies and glad that you are active!

Should have met you at least once before I move!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #5
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Had squeaking brakes issue for the longest time. Tech took off the pads and chamfered the edges and that resolved the issue.
Thanks for the tip. I will bring up this method to the mechanics.

BTW great service centre with one BMW Canada top 40 mechanics!!

I realized how shitty BMW Autohaus on Steeles was horrible.

My service advisor even called me after he/she left the job telling me not to listen the service manager there so be aware whoever goes to their service centre.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

was it Prem Patel ?

If yes, he left and has gone to MB Brampton ... it's been nearly 2 yrs now since he left after being passed over for a promotion for the Asst Svc Mgr or even Svc Mgr position a few yrs back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsama86 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I will bring up this method to the mechanics.

BTW great service centre with one BMW Canada top 40 mechanics!!

I realized how shitty BMW Autohaus on Steeles was horrible.

My service advisor even called me after he/she left the job telling me not to listen the service manager there so be aware whoever goes to their service centre.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

how much is a cat converter by chance?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

You can buy the DP used for like $300
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i am in the GTA. bought the car when i was still living in montreal. not many problems so far. i have brake squeal issues when they are cold but once i brake hard a couple of times after some fast driving, squeal goes away.

i have a ticking sound from the wheels or hub area at low speed. seems like this is a common problem among a lot of members. i think its coming from the interface between the wheel and the hub and isnt the wheel bearings. bad wheel bearings usually sound different. i havent taken it to the dealer to get this looked at.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:

For those who do not recall, I was the one who opened a thread about "how old are you to drive M5". I was in Toronto but now I am residing in Victoria BC.

I am literally visiting service centres once/twice a month to top up my engine oil.

2. Front brake system replaced (due to squeaking noise) was lucky on this one because they replaced at the point about 2 years mark. However fron brake system still makes the noise

3. Lack of power.
4. Shaky feeling when care is at high speed 100~120km when more acceleration is applied.
5. Transmission click noise when gear shifts at very low speed (parking lot browsing)

Oil top up not consistent. 1000km top up sometimes 500km top up given same driving behaviour.

When I was in Toronto, there was an incident that the car started to shake heavily like someone who failed to put the first gear for a manual car. I was stopping at red light. I thought it was some truck, bus or street car passed by. Then the car went into safe mode for hours having drive-train malfunction warning on. The next day the warning disappeared so not much was done at the service centre.

Ever since I fell the lack of power. That's how I got the catalytic converter replaced. After the replacement, the car seemed re-gain the power but it's not 560bhp I think.

That shaking was probably due to a misfire, which ended up messing up your catalytic converters
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Hello bobblehead and OP,

I'm also in GTA, took delivery of my 2014 M5 back in Nov 2013, it has about 26000km on it now after almost 3 years.

I some time experince strong jerking of the car when drive low speed in parking lots under all "Sports" setting on steering, throttle, shift. It go away after I ease off the gas and re-apply acceleration, anyone else have this?

I also hear some clicking noise of wheels at low speed in parking lots, sounds from the front wheel, and more when I'm turning slowly. Not sure if its normal.

No engine/power issues that I've noticed while driving over 120km/h on highway. I've not had oil consumption issues, and only topped up during normal maintainance services/

I've done the recommend coolant recall fix http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052661

I have the same squeaky break issue as most ppl, it usually goes away after I wash the breaks with SONAX but never completly goes away which is annoying. Went to the dealer about it, and was told it was normal behavior for large roaters.

Quote:

09-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich View Post
Hello bobblehead and OP,

I'm also in GTA, took delivery of my 2014 M5 back in Nov 2013, it has about 26000km on it now after almost 3 years.

I some time experince strong jerking of the car when drive low speed in parking lots under all "Sports" setting on steering, throttle, shift. It go away after I ease off the gas and re-apply acceleration, anyone else have this?

I also hear some clicking noise of wheels at low speed in parking lots, sounds from the front wheel, and more when I'm turning slowly. Not sure if its normal.

No engine/power issues that I've noticed while driving over 120km/h on highway. I've not had oil consumption issues, and only topped up during normal maintainance services/

I've done the recommend coolant recall fix http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052661

I have the same squeaky break issue as most ppl, it usually goes away after I wash the breaks with SONAX but never completly goes away which is annoying. Went to the dealer about it, and was told it was normal behavior for large roaters.

Hey Orich,

really long time no talk.

Your clicking noise from front wheel is the wheel bearing. It is a tsb item and should be looked at by the dealer. I had this too when the car was about 1 yr old and the dealer changed out the wheel bearing as they were rusted (premature)

As for the squeaky brakes, no fix at all. Turn the radio volume a couple of notches and it went away ... well, you know what i mean.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
Orich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Your clicking noise from front wheel is the wheel bearing. It is a tsb item and should be looked at by the dealer. I had this too when the car was about 1 yr old and the dealer changed out the wheel bearing as they were rusted (premature)
Thanks for the info, do you know if there is a TSB number I can mention to the dealer so the service people know what I'm asking? or you think they will know if I just tell them I hear the clicking noise in the bearing?

I still haven't used those wipers I got from you, and will soon. Thanks.
      09-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orich View Post
Thanks for the info, do you know if there is a TSB number I can mention to the dealer so the service people know what I'm asking? or you think they will know if I just tell them I hear the clicking noise in the bearing?

I still haven't used those wipers I got from you, and will soon. Thanks.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...=843004&page=2

see quote 27

It happens to pretty well all the models, not just the M cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
HarinderG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Quote:

3. Lack of power.

I am considering getting a 2014 M5 with 54k miles for $45k. Would you say the mileage is too high to deal with, or will it be fine.

Can I just get the warranty plans that cover everything from wipers to break replacements?

What was the mileage on your m5?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #16
VADER332
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Gen 6 Camaro SS

Quote:

3. Lack of power.

How many miles do you have on your car? I have a 2013 as well. Thanks.
Appreciate 0