BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
JaSTL
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Battery Discharge

Hey all,

I am getting the warning "Battery Discharge while Stopped: All electrical devices temporarily switched off". I have read all of the other threads on this and I don't have anything plugged, lock the car and I have a battery tender.

This usually happens after it sits overnight. After I start it in the morning, shut it off and then restart it the message clears and everything is fine until the next morning. Even for 8-9 hours while I am at work.

I come home, put the battery tender on and the message appears in the morning. I don't drive a lot (Sept. 12 delivery with 2800 miles on the clock) but the battery tender should fix this right? Dealer can't get me in for 10 days.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Do you turn your accessories off after turning the engine off? I was told during delivery to hit the On/OFF button twice when leaving the car. Once to turn off the engine, the second time to turn off the ignition and accessories.

I think some have argued that locking the door does the same thing, throwing the car in park and turning accessories off, but Ive already gotten into the habit of doing this. For therecord, the manual states this as well.
      05-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
JaSTL
Rep

Yes. I hit the button twice. Another odd fact is that when the error message appears the steering wheel does not automatically raise when I shut off the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

Probably need a new battery...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
DanW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSTL View Post
Hey all,

I am getting the warning "Battery Discharge while Stopped: All electrical devices temporarily switched off". I have read all of the other threads on this and I don't have anything plugged, lock the car and I have a battery tender.

This usually happens after it sits overnight. After I start it in the morning, shut it off and then restart it the message clears and everything is fine until the next morning. Even for 8-9 hours while I am at work.

I come home, put the battery tender on and the message appears in the morning. I don't drive a lot (Sept. 12 delivery with 2800 miles on the clock) but the battery tender should fix this right? Dealer can't get me in for 10 days.
This has happened to my car as well. It happened when I had 300 miles on my car. First I got "ignition malfunction". A few days later i got the "battery discharge" error. I took it to the dealer and they asked "do you leave your keys in your car, or anywhere relatively close to where the car could communicate with the key"? After a chuckle and a response of no, they also advised me to hit the start/stop button twice. I was already doing that but the dealer tried to charge the battery and sent me on my way. The next morning my car didnt even start at all. The only remedy was to replace the battery completely. I would insist that they do the same for you before you end up stranded somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Wrotwro7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 / 2013 SG M5

Couple of things.
Some guys had their cars sit during the winter at the port awaiting delivery for a long time. They have seen lame battery performance and have forced the dealer to replace. I actually did not accept delivery until the battery was tested passed and a print out signed. So far, so good.

Also the battery only charges during certain times like when the car is at cruising speeds. What happens over time if you only drive it for short bursts, the battery will eventually croak.

Lastly anything USB will not shut off when you shut off the car. It will always stay on so if you have a mem stick or phone charger plugged in there it will slowly drain and kill the battery.

With any BMW you will likely need a battery minder so if you don't drive a lot, or not far every time, even in the summer you may need to plug it in. I would definitely have the dealer look at it and if you suspect it is a bad battery insist it is replaced. Heads up, the dealer will likely go out of their way not to replace it.

Best luck

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
JaSTL
Rep

When I first had the car I accidentally did not push the button twice but this occurred maybe three times. No radar detector ever and only the iPhone when started. Hard to say I abused the battery. We will see how good my deler is I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
rayseng
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Battery discharge

Hi, did u install any camera in your car? It will still recorded moving objects when it's in off mode. Unless u deactivate the motion sensor in the camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
JaSTL
Rep

No aftermarket anything. Car is just as delivered.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSTL View Post
Hey all,

The cells in the battery are bad. BMW ill replace it. Try a different dealership.. it shouldn't take more than an hour to test and replace. I've had this done on both of my previous M3's.
      05-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I had this issue with my Lexus a few years ago. Turned out the cars electronics were fine, but I had an aftermarket HID foglight kit which was draining power from the battery even when the car and lights were off. Lexus diagnosed the car was draining electricity when switched off. I disconnected the accessories one by one - radar, laser jammer, GPS tracker, fog lights to identify issue. fortunately the fog lights were my second guess after the GPS tracker so it didn't take long.

Also whenever the battery gets fully drained it damages the battery. If its happened 2-3 times you may need a new battery. I was lucky that Lexus gave me three free batteries in a row because they didn't know it was caused by my accessory.
Appreciate 0