M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I don't imagine IND's will bring the car back to the dealer after having the car stripped down and if they do, then I can't imagine what the real # would be ... mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteM5 View Post
so does that mean IND's car is going to shoot up in power after the service cause their numbers are impressive with 400 miles and a detuned motor...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Richard Cranium
Private
Rep
Drives: It's a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I am in Canada and this is what I got back from my BMW dealer - Svc Mgr

"On your 2000km service we would replace the engine oil & filter, replace the rear diff. Fluid, & replace the transmission fluid only if the vehicle is equipped with the manual transmission. If your vehicle has the SMG transmission then we do not replace the transmission fluid. & yes we will unleash the full HP on your vehicle after this service is performed."

Kind regards

Justin Vella
Service Manager
Not dissing your specific service manager, but Service Managers can say anything, just like Sales guys.

I still would want to see before and after HP numbers on a dyno to confirm.

Since most seem to be babying their car during break in (ie not pushing it) this would mean they don't know how the car feels before it goes in. After they push it and they feel the full performance but that doesn't mean anything actually changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #25
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
+1
I say placebo effect
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Test drove a M5 last week. The dealer told me to be gentle with the car since it was not broken in yet. Then when we got out he said, that was not even with full power since the car is de-tuned.

Now that makes sense if you bought the car and the dealer makes you feel special, but if your just test driving the car, I dont think he would lie.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #27
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
+1
I say placebo effect
Exactly !
Too many armchair mechanics on the Internet.
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
I spoke with York... or w/e his name is.. the product delivery manager at the european delivery M event. He says there is no unlocked power for the American market. The only thing close to locked power is a speed limiter in some asian markets. He told me that the trans fluid should not be changed in a DCT set up.. not sure about the manual trans. The diff fluid should be changed as per the M team... don't mean to put anyone down but this is the info I got from the M team. My car had pleaaaaanttttyyyyy of power in sport plus. Loved it on the auto bahn.