Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Holy gee will-ickers Batman - $400+ for a MAF

Called up the parts department to see if they have a new MAF in stock.

Answer: "Yep just one. $400+." For that much, it better have gold and at least a mildy flawed diamond.

Cleaning the MAF now that I have isolated which side was BANK A (it appears to be the passenger side in case that information helps anyone in the future).

If it still throws I'll swap them around and see if I have an intake leak on the BMS intake sleaves.

Really....$400+ dollars. Even the part guy paused and commented after he said it.

Updated with alternative source with more reasonable price:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...sor-0280218266
I apparently need to open a BMW parts department and retire. This whole computer software industry thing isn't making the right kind of income........sheesh!

Last edited by johntomferg; 07-28-2016 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg
Called up the parts department to see if they have a new MAF in stock.

Answer: "Yep just one. $400+." For that much, it better have gold and at least a mildy flawed diamond.

Cleaning the MAF now that I have isolated which side was BANK A (it appears to be the passenger side in case that information helps anyone in the future).

If it still throws I'll swap them around and see if I have an intake leak on the BMS intake sleaves.

Really....$400+ dollars. Even the part guy paused and commented after he said it.

Updated with alternative source with more reasonable price:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...sor-0280218266
I apparently need to open a BMW parts department and retire. This whole computer software industry thing isn't making the right kind of income........sheesh!
Can get those alot cheaper!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

You need to clean the MAF sensor a couple times a year to get the gunk out. Will run smoother, get better mileage, etc etc if it's clean. They make specific cleaner for the MAF.

http://crcindustries.com/ei/product_....aspx?id=05110
      07-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750
You need to clean the MAF sensor a couple times a year to get the gunk out. Will run smoother, get better mileage, etc etc if it's clean. They make specific cleaner for the MAF.

http://crcindustries.com/ei/product_....aspx?id=05110
That is actually the very stuff I have in the shelf and used. Just got through running and logging with my hand scanner. The MAF in question reads slightly higher than the other when I am off throttle.

Name:  MAF - Copy.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  471.4 KB

So I now have one on order from Amazon. Should be here next week. Even then I'm surprised it is enough to tick it off but such is life.

I switched my BMS to Map 0 to make sure that want the issue and I checked all the connections on the intake. Short of doing a smoke test (any cigarette smokers in the audience) I'm going to just wait for the part to get here. I am not feeling any noticeable running issues so it is probably just enough of a problem to give me the error.

Last edited by johntomferg; 07-28-2016 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Did you swop side to side to see if the delta moved with the MAF?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Make readings with various intakes - you will see what works and what doesn't (which is most of them).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
Did you swap side to side to see if the delta moved with the MAF?
I'll be doing that in a little while. Once I saw the lambda wasn't moving all the way back down at idle, the priority for doing it last night diminished and I started working on other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Make readings with various intakes - you will see what works and what doesn't (which is most of them).
I don't understand your comment... I would have check for leaks on the stock intakes as well for this same condition. In the unlikely event that the comment was made to hijack this thread to grand stand about aftermarket intakes: please don't. Plenty of other threads available for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Snap on tool you can check different banks from intake temp
O2 sensors
Fuel
Etc
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Snap on tool you can check different banks from intake temp
O2 sensors
Fuel
Etc
Same with the Actron - but it displays on device.

attached is a raw output.

I swapped the MAFs but still ended up with a MAF Bank A DTC pending. So it doesn't look like it moved with the MAF else I would expect a matching DTC on Bank B.

If you see anything that jumps out at your from the subset that I recorded, please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: txt datacapture.txt (48.9 KB, 556 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Call off the support effort. I went to recheck the BMS Stage 1 box because I never felt a power drop when I switched to Map 0 during all of my testing to try and isolate the MAF issue.

I attempted to do a firmware flash to see if maybe the box just needed an update and it refused the flash (only a partial flash would load). So I have pulled the box and it is no longer in line of the engine sensors. I just gave the car a thrashing, could feel the difference in stock power again, and came away with no DTCs. Definitely appears to be a contributor - perhaps it was hanging on when it shouldn't have been. I'll see about bench (in my case 'table') flashing it this weekend and decide if I want to mess with putting it back in or not.

Might be some parts for sale soon (BMS intakes, BMS spacers, BMS Stage 1, MAF, extra bleeder valves for the brakes, extra set of wheel/tires, etc) in the near future if I keep scratching this itch for a change in cars.
Appreciate 0