M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
BlownM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: Grey M5 DME

Tracking my M5 but is it to much power? 650whp

Really want to track the M5 this fall, I have been tracking the FRS turbo this last two seasons and wanted to push the M5.

My real questions is what should I prepare for the M5, I know like most cars. Every car has a niche that needs maybe trans cooler, oil cooler or what now? What should I focus on? Are my mods supporting 650whp to aggressive for the track? Is the SSP clutch going to fry on the track? Thanks alot guys.

I have done the DPs, RSI GTM, AMS intake/chargepipe, SSP clutch and DME tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Assume you have uprated the suspension ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
BlownM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: Grey M5 DME

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera2RSL View Post
Assume you have uprated the suspension ?
Well im just getting springs for now and maybe sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 03:37 AM   #4
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

I'd recommend KWV3 for track work as the stock dampers are not in the same league. Going from Dinan coils and roll bars to KWV3 and roll bars has been very worthwhile. I have found that adjusting bump and rebound has allowed me to keep most of the comfort on the road but perform very differently when pushed

I now have a car that feels more taught and provides much better feedback driven normally. Much more poise and accuracy. On the limit amazing difference. The feeling of softness and float, roll has gone. I'm no longer needing to have confidence in a rolling two tonne car that's showing it's weight and getting out of shape in a two tonne car kind of way.

Now it's full of feedback on the limit and doesn't get out of shape in the same way, feels much more accurate and no longer the two tonnes it is at the limit. I have also dialled in a much less nose heavy feel, that allows me to drive with the throttle exiting a corner earlier.

As the fitment cost is quite significant ($1,000 ? Including 4 wheel alignment and corner weights) be a shame to blow $1500 on springs and fitment then wish you'd bought the KW's as on the track I think you'll feel it's weight and realise it's too heavy and soft
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 04:05 AM   #5
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownM5 View Post
Really want to track the M5 this fall, I have been tracking the FRS turbo this last two seasons and wanted to push the M5.

My real questions is what should I prepare for the M5, I know like most cars. Every car has a niche that needs maybe trans cooler, oil cooler or what now? What should I focus on? Are my mods supporting 650whp to aggressive for the track? Is the SSP clutch going to fry on the track? Thanks alot guys.

I have done the DPs, RSI GTM, AMS intake/chargepipe, SSP clutch and DME tune.
Better brakes. M5 is not lacking in power but rather it's heavy and takes a toll on the brakes.
Appreciate 0