M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI M5 & Z4M Roadster

Tyre life and narrower tyres?

Hi all,

I should be picking up my new (to me) F10 M5 this week, after my previous 2 cars both being Jaguar XFRs and am just trying to work what to do with my shed full of wheels & tyres I have left over from the Jags.

The M5 had all new tyres 300 miles ago, so it'd be good to know generally how long people are getting out of a set. My driving is a mixture of some city centre driving, then quite a lot of dual carriageway and country A roads.

As for tyres I already have, there's a set of staggered MPSS tyres that were used for a couple of months on one XFR, so essentially new BUT they're a slightly narrower size. They are 255/35 R20 and 285/30 R20 vs the 265/35 R20 and 295/30 R20 of the M5. They'd give a 1.1% smaller circumference and be 3-4% narrower, would there be any real noticeable difference using these, other than the speedo being slightly out? Has anybody else run similar sizes on their M5?

Other tyres I have are all partly worn 255/35 winters as I ran narrower, non-staggered rears for winter on my XFRs. I have a set of 4 matching which are all around 30% worn, and a separate pair which are around 50% worn. Is it possible to run non-staggered (4 front) wheels on an M5?

There's a fair chance I'll just try and sell everything off anyway, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not making a big loss by selling what I've already got if they'd be good to use

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

I'm sure they will work, but why would you want to run smaller tyres? Go up on tyre size, stay the same but don't reduce.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera2RSL View Post
I'm sure they will work, but why would you want to run smaller tyres? Go up on tyre size, stay the same but don't reduce.
Because I already have them There's probably around £1500 of unused rubber that I've already paid for, I'm just pondering whether it's worth using on the M5 or not. I'd probably not get much back selling them on used.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:27 AM   #4
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep

It will depend how many miles you do, my M5 is on it's first set of MPSS and I still have a good amount of tread left. It gets driven hard a lot of the time, no track time as yet. Just done 12k. How many miles do you do and how old are the tyres ?

I'm thinking of trying P Zero Trofeo's R's to get more grip and moving to wider rims with 305 and 275
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:09 AM   #5
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep

Mileage varies with work and the weather, but it'll probably be around 8-15k a year in the M5. The MPSS I already have were new last year and used for a couple of months, but I put the original alloys & tyres back on that car to trade it in, and then they never made it on to the second XFR.

The winters I have are all a few years old and have been used on both XFRs and some on the XFS I had before them. So I've at least had a fair amount of use from them, but if there's no issue using the size, then it saves me having to buy a full new set Do you run winters on your M5?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't run winters, it's a good point as I am thinking of Pirelli Trofeo R's which will be pretty hopeless in bad cold conditions. Having said that I probably won't bother driving it in the snow for anything other than fun. The grip is limited with MPSS as I'm sure you know, I'd be nervous about putting older smaller tyres on unless it's just mile crushing journeys. I've always been a fan of high quality tyres
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera2RSL View Post
I don't run winters, it's a good point as I am thinking of Pirelli Trofeo R's which will be pretty hopeless in bad cold conditions. Having said that I probably won't bother driving it in the snow for anything other than fun. The grip is limited with MPSS as I'm sure you know, I'd be nervous about putting older smaller tyres on unless it's just mile crushing journeys. I've always been a fan of high quality tyres
I always go for the best rated tyres I can too, which is why I have this set of spare MPSS, the other car came on Dunlop SportMaxx which weren't great so I'd been running it on MPSS. I traded it in on it's original alloys with Dunlops on, so I'm just trying to decide what to do with the left overs

I'll definitely be getting winters on, around here the roads quickly get greasy and iced up in winter, having the right tyres makes powerful RWD cars so much more predictable. I'm considering just getting a full set of new alloys and tyres now, rather than trying to reuse the part worn winter sets I have.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep

Where are you located ?

I'm in the Southwest so not much snow here
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm in North Leeds, there's not been much snow for the last couple of years, plenty of ice and generally horrible conditions though.
Appreciate 1