BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Observations after a longer road trip

I just came back from a day trip to SF (almost 900 miles round trip) and observed the following.

1. H&R springs in the comfort setting are very comfortable and almost feel like stock. Loved the ride and my back was relaxed.
2. After reading the thread on misc. rattles in the car I turned off the music driving through the Grape Vine and listened for the all the sounds.
I thought I had no rattles. I spotted buzzing from the passenger side B-pillar,
rattles around the passenger side seat belt area, rattling around the center dash speaker, cup holder and driver's side window control area. It also sounds like the sunroof needs to be re-aligned. Now I am pissed because it reminds me so much of the e60, but then again the chassis is tighter and stiffer so some creaking is expected.
3. Stop and go traffic I noticed a weird vibration, humming or friction sounds form the DCT. It only does that when going from 1st to 2nd and then stopping. Anyone experienced that?
4. The car has 3500 miles on it and the oil level is still at Max. I guess beating on it from mile 1 helped seal the rings. Not burning any oil yet?
5. Front wheels get a lot of brake dust really fast. Different pads maybe?
6. Motion sensor that was disabled only works for watching DVD's while driving, but will not let you get some info from BMW Online. Another motion sensor maybe?
7. Butt massager is useless. It feels like it's trying to push me through the roof rather than massage.
8. I kept on staring at the plastics around window control and center dash and finally agreed with my eyes that it has a really cheap look to it.
9. Chirped the tires in 3rd while racing a CTS-V. Poor guy kept on trying and I left him so far behind that if I was him I would just stay back. My e60 couldn't pull on one of those.
10. The car confirms Top Gear's opinion of being "The best all around car in the world."
11. Forgot to mention that yesterday while driving on PCH a black 2013 Camaro SS gets next to me at the light and starts revving. I quickly hit the M mode and when the light turns green I take off hard and he does nothing...weird. Then I see him on my a$$ and weaving in and out of traffic and revving behind him. Finally I got annoyed, slowed down and changed lanes. I rolled down the window and I asked him if he wanted to run the cars. He said sure and his gf replied "be careful what you ask for". I told him to follow me and we did two runs, rolling 30mph and from a stop. Both times i killed him really bad. I was embarrassed for him. The he pulls up and says he was in high gear, while his gf's covers her face with her hair.....priceless.
12. One more thing.....Dynamic navigation is a POS!!!. Got me stuck in the worse possible traffic. Called the concierge and he re-routed me out of there. Very helpful service.

Last edited by greentrbo95gst; 08-09-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Entertaining. Thanks

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Well done. I agree about the butt massager. I don't use it, and feel that it was useless idea. IMO it was a feeble attempt to pacify us for not putting active or at least adjustable bolsters in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

The butt massager isnt really a butt massager, per se... its meant to change the hotpoints or pressure points on your rear to guarantee better circulation. The concept is meant to not have body parts "go to sleep" on long times in the saddle. They actually make a similar strap-on system for ejection seat aircraft.

Other than that, amazing info. Still torn on the break-in stuff -- you broke it in hard and dont burn a drop of oil, and Stealth says he followed the break in to a T with the same result...
      08-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
The butt massager isnt really a butt massager, per se... its meant to change the hotpoints or pressure points on your rear to guarantee better circulation. The concept is meant to not have body parts "go to sleep" on long times in the saddle.
I agree B-1, you're right. That is what they intended it for, however I still stand by my statement. To me it's useless and I personally find it annoying. To each is own. Like I said I would have rather had active seats or adjustable bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

lol, about people driving lesser cars acting tough, lol

like why are 20 y.o. dudes in 370z's always trying to mess around?

i finally had to kill one the other day. they were definitly modded, engine/exhaust was LOUD.

the was funniest thing is , after i destroyed them three consecutive runs, they then blow by me WOT in a "yeah? take that" kind of fashion.

... as i had my turn signal on, turning left off the highway.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
The butt massager isnt really a butt massager, per se... its meant to change the hotpoints or pressure points on your rear to guarantee better circulation. The concept is meant to not have body parts "go to sleep" on long times in the saddle. They actually make a similar strap-on system for ejection seat aircraft.

Other than that, amazing info. Still torn on the break-in stuff -- you broke it in hard and dont burn a drop of oil, and Stealth says he followed the break in to a T with the same result...
Interesting fact about the aircraft seats.
I keep on monitoring the oil level and expect to burn through some amount of oil, but hoping the hard break in helped with oil usage. Time will show.
      08-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post

i finally had to kill one the other day. they were definitly modded, engine/exhaust was LOUD.

the was funniest thing is , after i destroyed them three consecutive runs, they then blow by me WOT in a "yeah? take that" kind of fashion.

Haven't had any Nissan's mess with me yet. I would love to run into a GTR, but afraid things might get dangerous.
      08-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I think the same thing about the air vent center console plastics. Do you have aluminum trim? Piano Black or Anthracite hide the plastics better.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
...his gf's covers her face with her hair.....priceless.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I think the same thing about the air vent center console plastics. Do you have aluminum trim? Piano Black or Anthracite hide the plastics better.
I have aluminum trim. I wanted some contrast between the black interior and the trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post

LOL

Maybe the Nissan salespeople are at fault...when I walked into a local Nissan dealer down the street from my work with a co-worker just to see if they had anything interesting... The salesperson was saying that the 370Z "was faster than a Corvette". I was like "not faster than any Corvette made in the past 10 years". He had this bewildered look on his face ...and he said "really?!?!?". You have to wonder how many people buy a car and just listen to a salesperson and take whatever BS they shovel as Gospel....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
LOL

Maybe the Nissan salespeople are at fault...when I walked into a local Nissan dealer down the street from my work with a co-worker just to see if they had anything interesting... The salesperson was saying that the 370Z "was faster than a Corvette". I was like "not faster than any Corvette made in the past 10 years". He had this bewildered look on his face ...and he said "really?!?!?". You have to wonder how many people buy a car and just listen to a salesperson and take whatever BS they shovel as Gospel....
I think it's very common accross the board with most of the sales people.
Even at BMW, most of the time I am more informed of their product than the sales person. That is why I deal with the GM, who is a long time friend and a brand fanatic.