03-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Post Official #IllicitM5 Journal - 2015 Season

Official Illicit F10 M5 Journal - 2015 Season

So I've been contemplating this project over the winter and decided to go for it.

After years of service and experience with custom car modifications for customers throughout the world, I woke up, and realize that I'm missing out on the one thing that I've been helping my customers achieve this entire time. Building a show & track car, and traveling the country for events and various publications. I've seen it all, and I've heard it all, but this year I decided to do it all with my own car. My ultimate goal is to build one of the most talked about BMW F10 M5 in the scene, from the Stance Culture, to the Track Oriented Daily Drivers and ultimately the next “Liberty Walk” inspired prototype.

I created a dedicated webpage journal to keep track of the build, and the journey I will take across country with my car. If you have time to read through it and check out all the blog entries

http://illicit.nyc

Be sure to follow the build on Instagram, Facebook & Flickr

I will have a rendering of what the car will look like for this season in a day or two, but this is the final phase that I'm striving for to showcase in 2016. This is rendered in track form, but will also be setup for shows.

Thanks to JADesigns aka E92Alpine328i for putting my vision on paper.

The build is currently half way through it's first phase. During the month of April, I'm fitting the car with wheels & a custom front bumper. I started reaching out to several street artists to commission a piece of artwork on the car, so by the end of April, beginning of May, the goal is to have the artwork done on a portion of some panel. I don't want it to take all the attention away from the build so it will only be visible on 1/4 of the car. Having the art work on the car will allow me to reach out to art galleries and in general the art community as a whole, not just the automotive scene.

The 3 biggest accomplishments I'm striving for this year are:
  • Bimmerfest West 2015 - make it there on time, make it back safe and sound.
  • SEMA 2015 - get a booth spot
  • Art Basel 2015 - Showcase the car in a gallery in Miami for Art Basel.

I have no doubt I'll score a feature in a magazine and some popuplar blogs thanks to all the friends I've made in the industry.

As for the current status on the build and whats been done so far:

EXTERIOR
  • Complete Vinyl Wrap in 3M Black Rose Satin – Custom one off finish
  • Vorsteiner 1×1 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
  • SLEK Design 1×1 Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Splitters
  • 2014/15 OEM LCI Kidney Grilles
  • 2014/15 OEM LCI Taillights
  • Custom Painted OEM BBK
INTERIOR
  • 2014/15 OEM iDrive Touch Knob Retrofit
  • 2014/15 OEM LCI Misc Interior Trim
ENGINE & EXHAUST
  • BMS JB4 Piggy Back
  • FabWorx Race Catless Downpipes
  • Borla Exhaust
  • Secondary Cat Delete

WHEELS, BRAKES & SUSPENSION
  • H&R Lowering Springs

I know this isn't much for what I set to accomplish, but this is more than what I've done on all my previous cars - even though I've been modifying cars for the last 8 years of my life lol.

The wrap was completed last week, the downpipes were installed just a few days prior.

Enough with the rambling, onto the photos.

Took ownership of the car in October 2014...

Did a few things...

Last edited by Igor_M5; 03-24-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Months prior I had installed Borla Mufflers and deleted my secondary cat, but it wasn’t loud enough to turn Biggie in his grave, or scare the mutants in the Hudson River as I passed the NYC tunnels. Last weekend (3.14.15), I took a trip down to Undercover Performance for a set of Fabworx Race Downpipes. Fabworx designs and fabricates their downpipes in house at Undercover.

As I arrived for my appointment, my downpipes were still on the “stove” getting welded. Felt like I was at a Hibachi Restaurant and the chief was peparing my meal in front of me, great experience.

I chose Fabworx downpipes not only because of their unbeatable price, but because of the unmatched quality. I’ve seen all kinds of downpipes for the N63 & S63 V8TT motors, and Fabworx downpipes were the only ones that exceeded my expectations of quality. Hand crafted art, perfected where the others couldn’t, and the welds… oh the welds, you would never think a human welded it.

I didn’t get a chance to experience the increase in HP that day due to rain, but on the drive back… I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face. The car sounded like a dragon unleashed after decades of muzzle captivity. Every downshift would gargle and back fire along with Formula 1 like high revs pitches. Every highway overpass I drove by had me looking into my rear view mirror seeing if I had just made it collapse. Extremely loud when I want it to be, but very tame and subtle at low RPM’s… I could look like a maniac, or just an average guy driving an M5 depending on what RPM I chose to be in. The best surprise was the lack of cabin noise when the windows were closed, you could easily take a cross country trip without wanting to rip your ears out, and whenever you want to hear the beast unleash, all you have to do is crack the window. One of the main reasons why I love luxury sport vehicles, the insulated interiors.

The next day when the roads dried up, I took the car for another spin. I suddenly noticed the increase in power because my perception of acceleration and braking was slightly off. I noticed myself getting to the next red light a lot sooner, and found myself braking wayy to late, very unusual given that I drive the same streets to and from work everyday. The cars spools up way faster, and I notice slightly less lag. All of the sudden I feel like the car is just not getting enough air, so cold air intakes & methanol from Fabworx is the next upgrade.

I have a video clip that I will add to this review in the next day or two after I process and slap it together. Great preview of what you can expect with a set of downpipes & exhaust on a BMW S63 motor.

Huge thanks to Undercover Performance for doing such a great install and accommodations during my visit at your wonderful shop, and a huge thanks to Fabworx for their amazing quality in craftsmanship. Both top notch brands
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Monte Carlo Blue M5’s are without a doubt the most appealing colors you can get from BMW without going Individual. I love the car, and it suits the F10 very well, however… being where I’m from, Brooklyn, MCB M5’s are dime a dozen. Being that my shop specializes in vinyl, I was always in the loop on the latest colors vinyl manufacturers would release. Few months ago 3M came out with a new swatch book, and I came across a color that caught my attention, it was called Black Rose, however, it was gloss, and I wasn’t a huge fan. I put the idea of that color off for a while, and searched for the next vinyl to hit the states from Europe. I came across KPMF and found a color that they had supplied shops in Europe, but in order to get it stateside, I would have had to order several thousand dollars worth of material, and being that I wanted my vinyl to be unique, I opted out.

Several weeks ago I pulled the trigger and ordered the Black Rose from 3M, but with a twist, we had it laminated with satin clear for a semi-matte/frozen finish. It arrived and as soon as our schedule in the shop freed up, my car was in the shop getting stripped and prepped.

Several days later, 90% of the car is wrapped. I’m having the brake calipers prepared for paint in Porsche Black Gray color. Along with the assembly, I’m installing a Vorsteiner CF rear diffuser, SLEK Design side skirt extensions & RPK splitters to the bumper.

I’m sourcing a BMW M4 front bumper to be custom fabricated to fit my M5. Also in the process of doing a custom headlight setup, a specialty of ours so it would only be right.

Stay tuned for more updates coming up within the next few weeks.

DEADLINE:

Southern Worthersee 2015 – May 15-17 – for the first event of the season. Would have loved to make it to the New York International Auto Show, even had a spot there, but won’t have rims in time.

Last edited by Igor_M5; 03-24-2015 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Awesome build, awesome color!
      03-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Nicely done... that color is definitely unique...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Love that color!

So your target build will have both form AND function?

That'll be hard since they are basically opposites.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
AntoM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 + 2008 E92 M3

WOW ! Awesome! Good luck man can't wait to see how this turns out.
      03-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

can't wait in for updates!
2006 E65 BMW 750i Titanium Silver
2001 E39 BMW 530i Orient Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

That's a unique color, I like it. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Any plans with the interior or changing the window tint? Engine or other suspension mods? I would think KW HAS or V3's would be more track focus than H&R. This build will be fun to follow, thanks for posting.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

Maybe we can have an impromptu meet in Charlotte on the way to SOWO! Can't wait to see it
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #11
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Love that color!

So your target build will have both form AND function?

That'll be hard since they are basically opposites.
Well I'm not trying to do 2 extremes lol. The car is a daily driver (16-19K miles a year) and I live in NYC, so I'll have a balance in form and function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
That's a unique color, I like it. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Any plans with the interior or changing the window tint? Engine or other suspension mods? I would think KW HAS or V3's would be more track focus than H&R. This build will be fun to follow, thanks for posting.
No major interior work, I'm still loving the extended silverstone, and even more so when I detail it for the first time lol. Otherwise I'm going with a few minor interior mods, I'll keep you posted.

As for the window tint, I did have plans to remove it and fishbowl it for a little before retinting it with regular (20% black), but after the wrap... I'm actually liking this tint way more than I did when the car was MCB, brings out great contrast. Def plan on changing it up, not sure when, we'll see.

Engine, suspension - absolutely. I can't stand the H&R springs on this car (worst mod ever), so I'll be upgrading to v3's or some cup over coils with sways. Engine, doing cold air intakes & charge pipes (for future meth). Eventually a true tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M5Guy View Post
Maybe we can have an impromptu meet in Charlotte on the way to SOWO! Can't wait to see it
For sure, shoot me over your contact info and I'll def hit you up otw to sowo.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #12
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Igor i remember you telling me about this wrap and i must say it looks a lot nicer than I imagined!! Good luck on the build and i cant wait to see her in person with her new look!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:29 AM   #13
alvinabed
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 13 AWSO M5,16 DGMR X5M

Garage List
Wow.. nice and unique color. Btw mind asking how do you retro the idrive controller?

thanks
upgrades: RKP front spoiler, M performance carbon spoiler, 3D design rear carbon diffuser, KW HAS Sleeve Kit, Akrapovic Evolution Carbon tips, ind black LCI front and rear grills, GruppeM RAM intake, 20" HRE P104 satin charcoal with PSS tires)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:44 AM   #14
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

WOW!...
      03-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Huge project! I'm glad to see someone keeping up the enthusiasm for doing different stuff with the F10 M5. My enthusiasm has waned over the last year or so because of the environment that I live in. Hopefully that will change one day. Thank you for doing this and keeping things fresh around here.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #16
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Nice project. Subscribing to this thread. Although I am not into Liberty Walk style cars, it's always interesting seeing someone push the envelope.
By the way, our cars do not have secondary cats.
      03-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #17
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinabed View Post
Wow.. nice and unique color. Btw mind asking how do you retro the idrive controller?

thanks
+1 on this. interested to know
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
Igor i remember you telling me about this wrap and i must say it looks a lot nicer than I imagined!! Good luck on the build and i cant wait to see her in person with her new look!
Wait till I snap some pics in the sun, it looks bananas, even crazier in person. We should have another Tri-State F10 meet sometime soon, can't wait to hear your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinabed View Post
thanks
Get an iDrive controller, its plug and play but the touch feature won't work unless you get the module.

If you want to retrofit the module, the part number is: 65829347470

You will need by pass the wire (4 wires) going into the iDrive controller and solder/connect them to the module.

This is what I did:

Wire tapped the module into the iDrive harness, then split it in between so it bypasses the module.

Then you'll need to code it in, my system was older (11/12 build) so I had to reflash the entire unit and change the build date. (Shawnsheridan helped me out, crazy F10 coding guru).

You can find more info in this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=748522

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Huge project! I'm glad to see someone keeping up the enthusiasm for doing different stuff with the F10 M5. My enthusiasm has waned over the last year or so because of the environment that I live in. Hopefully that will change one day. Thank you for doing this and keeping things fresh around here.
Whats wrong with your environment? I'm sure theres still a bunch of car events that go on in your area, get on your game and put together some meets !

Oh, and here's a teaser.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #19
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Awesome thread man. Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #20
yeonhaoc
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 F10 LCI

My gosh its beautiful! I'm thinking of giving mine a satin chrome silver wrap from Avery! its very nice! btw, what tuning do you recommend? i have AMS hatless downpipes, but not installed yet as i don't want the CEL to be a pain in the arse!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #21
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Wow
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #22
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeonhaoc View Post
My gosh its beautiful! I'm thinking of giving mine a satin chrome silver wrap from Avery! its very nice! btw, what tuning do you recommend? i have AMS hatless downpipes, but not installed yet as i don't want the CEL to be a pain in the arse!
I wouldn't be able to recommend you much, looks like a lot of companies are popping out with tunes for this car right now and they all seems to be offering the same thing.

Honestly though, I'd probably go with ESS's latest release on their S63tu tune.
Appreciate 0