BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Butty45
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Excessive smoke

Noticed today for the first time excessive smoke from the rear while looking in rear view mirror. Full throttle to redline in 2nd and 3rd and can see what looks like a plume of smoke left behind. Anyone else get that? Car doesn't use any oil and their is no loss of power. Any comments appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Hmmmmm

Full throttle in 2nd & 3rd? Sounds like your tyres may be going up in smoke
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

con- trail? :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:55 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Been behind many M5 at full throttle, never seen any smoke
      04-20-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Been behind many M5 at full throttle, never seen any smoke
+1
      04-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butty45 View Post
Noticed today for the first time excessive smoke from the rear while looking in rear view mirror. Full throttle to redline in 2nd and 3rd and can see what looks like a plume of smoke left behind. Anyone else get that? Car doesn't use any oil and their is no loss of power. Any comments appreciated.
If it's not tyres then you have a problem.
      04-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

OP what you are experiencing is oil blow by.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blowby

It's something that happens to engines when the seals on the piston rings aren't fully sealing or during high rpms and then after you left off the throttle the oil and/or gases enter the combustion chamber and get exited out of the exhaust creating a whitish color smoke. The blow by is more apparent with the smoke if you are running without cats. It is a relatively unknown thing for F10 M5's. Not too many people have had it, but I have. It's not a a concern unless you are constantly getting a huge amount of smoke every time you let off of the throttle. Most of the time the rings form better seals over thousands of miles of operation and the issue takes care of itself.

You could always tell the dealership about it but it may be difficult to replicate. As far as I can tell I don't experience it anymore. I'm nearly at 50,000 miles on my M5 and I've not had any issues with the engine. So I really don't think there is anything to worry about.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Butty45
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
OP what you are experiencing is oil blow by.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blowby

It's something that happens to engines when the seals on the piston rings aren't fully sealing or during high rpms and then after you left off the throttle the oil and/or gases enter the combustion chamber and get exited out of the exhaust creating a whitish color smoke. The blow by is more apparent with the smoke if you are running without cats. It is a relatively unknown thing for F10 M5's. Not too many people have had it, but I have. It's not a a concern unless you are constantly getting a huge amount of smoke every time you let off of the throttle. Most of the time the rings form better seals over thousands of miles of operation and the issue takes care of itself.

You could always tell the dealership about it but it may be difficult to replicate. As far as I can tell I don't experience it anymore. I'm nearly at 50,000 miles on my M5 and I've not had any issues with the engine. So I really don't think there is anything to worry about.
Thanks guys. Been out again tonight to make sure I was not imagining it yesterday and seems to have got worse. Warmed car up thoroughly. Couple of full throttle to say 4k in all gears and is fine until I nail it in 3rd and 4th to redline. At the top of 3rd on full throttle smoke starts then when I go for 4th and full throttle to redline there is a lot of smoke. Can't tell what colour as sun is in rear view mirror but looks whiteish. When I slow down I can't replicate it unless it is in last few k of redline in really fourth. All this on a closed road of course! When I stop and pop the bonnet all looks ok and not too much smell. It smells more of burning around the sides of the car and at the rear. Could it be a break sticking or more engine/transmission related. Really not looking forward to taking to dealer as had such bad experience. When the car was 1k miles old I had this terrible squeaking like a loose fan belt when you revved it at a standstill. They had it 8 times with no diagnosis, so gave up. To this day it still makes a rattle when you Rev it like the catalytic converters are rattling. The squeaking has sort of subsided.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
Butty45
Private
Rep

The culprit

I have it booked in for next Mon but see photo for the likely cause. Looks like hydraulic fluid? It is in two lines...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  30.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Thanks guys. Been out again tonight to make sure I was not imagining it yesterday and seems to have got worse. Warmed car up thoroughly. Couple of full throttle to say 4k in all gears and is fine until I nail it in 3rd and 4th to redline. At the top of 3rd on full throttle smoke starts then when I go for 4th and full throttle to redline there is a lot of smoke. Can't tell what colour as sun is in rear view mirror but looks whiteish. When I slow down I can't replicate it unless it is in last few k of redline in really fourth. All this on a closed road of course! When I stop and pop the bonnet all looks ok and not too much smell. It smells more of burning around the sides of the car and at the rear. Could it be a break sticking or more engine/transmission related. Really not looking forward to taking to dealer as had such bad experience. When the car was 1k miles old I had this terrible squeaking like a loose fan belt when you revved it at a standstill. They had it 8 times with no diagnosis, so gave up. To this day it still makes a rattle when you Rev it like the catalytic converters are rattling. The squeaking has sort of subsided.
let me know where that closed road is please, i would love to go there on daily basis

back to your topic, what dealer you using? i have mechanic who works in bmw and he is TOP notch, he is the only guy i trust and nobody else, he would do his best to fix your car and would not lie and make some stupid stories and say it is unfixable or it is working right, like all mechanics say, if it is not.

Shoot me PM if you are interested in his contact details and i will put you in contact, dont want to release any info here, as dealers might be reading and he obviously would work on your car in bmw dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
Butty45
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
let me know where that closed road is please, i would love to go there on daily basis

back to your topic, what dealer you using? i have mechanic who works in bmw and he is TOP notch, he is the only guy i trust and nobody else, he would do his best to fix your car and would not lie and make some stupid stories and say it is unfixable or it is working right, like all mechanics say, if it is not.

Shoot me PM if you are interested in his contact details and i will put you in contact, dont want to release any info here, as dealers might be reading and he obviously would work on your car in bmw dealership.
I am using Stephen James in Ruxley. I bought it from them, however they are useless. I tried getting it into Coopers but they can't see it for 3 weeks! As I have it booked it for Monday so will prob just go with them but if they fail to fix I will PM you. Appreciate the offer though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
I am using Stephen James in Ruxley. I bought it from them, however they are useless. I tried getting it into Coopers but they can't see it for 3 weeks! As I have it booked it for Monday so will prob just go with them but if they fail to fix I will PM you. Appreciate the offer though.
he might be able to see it this week!

so up to you!

let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:43 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I do hope your "private road" is not the M11 as it is getting a lot of extra attention of late.
      04-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #14
Butty45
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I do hope your "private road" is not the M11 as it is getting a lot of extra attention of late.
It's not but apprecaite the heads up...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #15
Butty45
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
he might be able to see it this week!

so up to you!

let us know how it goes!
Thanks but to be fair I don't have time this week to get the car anywhere. Will let you know what they say on Monday...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Butty45
Private
Rep

Dealer called and they have diagnosed a faulty gasket and failed "O" ring in a pump. Presume gearbox pump but may be another pump? Car ready tomorrow allegedly.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Dealer called and they have diagnosed a faulty gasket and failed "O" ring in a pump. Presume gearbox pump but may be another pump? Car ready tomorrow allegedly.
Hope its fixed.

O rings go bad in anything from M5's to Boeing's.
Let us know what happens.