M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Bluetooth Glitch with latest software update

Anybody else have this problem if you are either a 2013 M5 owner that has updated to the very latest software version via the dealer or are a 2014 or 2015 M5 owner. The dealer updated my 2013 M5 with the very latest software version for the entire car. V53 I think. Overall the update is very good, the iDrive works like 3 times faster now and my DCT doesn't have the hunting for gear problems anymore, along with all of the little changes BMW made into the iDrive menus.

So this has happened to me about 3 times now. Where I am playing music from my iPhone6 via bluetooth and then I switch to another music app on the iPhone and the music won't play anymore. It's almost as if the bluetooth has lost connection. I try to turn on and off the bluetooth on the iPhone itself but that doesn't work. Then I try to turn the bluetooth off on the car via the iDrive menu and what happens is that it'll let me turn the Bluetooth off but then it won't let me turn it back on. So if I am listening to music on say Pandora and then I switch to the stored music on the iPhone itself, the music will stop playing and there is no way I can get it back even if I switch back to Pandora. In fact I was driving the other day and the music cut out and then I was trying to reset the Bluetooth on the iDrive and then a few minutes later the entire iDrive shut off and rebooted itself, all while I was driving on the highway. After that I got Bluetooth connectivity back again like normal until I lost it again when I tried to switch music apps on the iPhone.

The only fix I have found so far is to shut the car off and let the iDrive power down for a few minutes. After that I think the iDrive gets a fresh boot and I get Bluetooth back like normal.

Also before the update, whenever I tried to plug in my iPhone6 into the car via the USB port, the iPhone would constantly alternate between being connected and unconnected. When I had the iPhone5S it would connect just fine via the USB port and I even used the BMW App on VIR to record lap times and stuff. Now after the software update, I plug the iPhone6 in and the USB cable powers the phone just fine but I can't get the iDrive to recognize the iPhone6 at all. It is as if the phone isn't even connecting to the iDrive. This is so lame.

Anyone else been having issues?? I'm looking for anyone that might have advice on quick troubleshooting fixes while driving the car when it comes to the Bluetooth connection. I am somewhat reluctant to take it to the dealer. I don't know if they have had customers complain about this yet.

Things I still have yet to try are repairing my iPhone6 with the car or buying another USB cable even though the cable I have in the car is brand new as the other one I had in the car broke before.

Thanks dudes! Hope you are all driving your M5's and M6's and having fun.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have you installed the latest Bluetooth software ?
Its DIY, the dealers dont usually do it (not the Idrive software, but bluetooth)
Download, put on USB stick, plug into car and load

Get it here with you VIN number:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
      04-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Its DIY, the dealers dont usually do it (not the Idrive software, but bluetooth)

No I didn't know about that. I'll give that a try. Don't know if I'll have time today though. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post

Thanks that's very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Dumb question, but if I do this update, will this have any impact on my remap? I have been advised to stay away from software updates generally although I assume these updates are the ones done via OBDII?
      04-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
Thanks that's very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Dumb question, but if I do this update, will this have any impact on my remap? I have been advised to stay away from software updates generally although I assume these updates are the ones done via OBDII?
Yes the dealer does the major software updates via the OBDII, but the one he posted on here today only involves doing the update via the USB port in the car. So the USB update won't have any impact on any custom coding or remaps you've done on your car. When the dealer did my update they wiped out everything on my M5's cpus and hard drives including all of the music I had stored in the hard drive.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yes the dealer does the major software updates via the OBDII, but the one he posted on here today only involves doing the update via the USB port in the car. So the USB update won't have any impact on any custom coding or remaps you've done on your car. When the dealer did my update they wiped out everything on my M5's cpus and hard drives including all of the music I had stored in the hard drive.
Ok. Thanks.. I'll look into this update as I have had issues with my Bluetooth switching off while I drive just like you and having my entire system reboot while driving. The worst has been when I use multiple apps..stopped using pandora pretty much because of this issue..and the most frustrating has been getting calls dropped on my iPhone...and then the Bluetooth reconnects.. That's my favorite part...not.
      04-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
Ok. Thanks.. I'll look into this update as I have had issues with my Bluetooth switching off while I drive just like you and having my entire system reboot while driving. The worst has been when I use multiple apps..stopped using pandora pretty much because of this issue..and the most frustrating has been getting calls dropped on my iPhone...and then the Bluetooth reconnects.. That's my favorite part...not.
Ah and I see you drive a 2014 M5, so I see that this issue is affecting the newer models too. Yeah this is super lame. I don't subscribe to XM anymore as it is rubbish for the Bang & Olufsen so I mostly use Music Streaming service apps.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Hey E90Fleet, thank you very much for the information. I finally got a chance to update my software on the M5 via the USB update and my iPhone6 is working perfectly again!

I had to try the other update it said was only supposed to be for cars with build dates after Apr 2014 because when I tried the one that made sense, with build dates between July 2012 and Mar 2014, it didn't work. I think it's because the dealer updated my car with the latest software. My M5's build date was Aug 2012.

Anyways installation was rather straightforward.

- Download the latest software from the website onto your USB sticks main directory.
- Turn on the car.
- Insert USB stick.
- Go to iDrive Settings then Software Update then update.
- iDrive screen will the instruct you and tell you how installation is going.
- iPhone6 works again!

Here's a couple screen shots.
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 05-04-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey E90Fleet, thank you very much for the information. I finally got a chance to update my software on the K5 via the USB update and my iPhone6 is working perfectly again!

I had to try the other update it said was only supposed to be for cars with build dates after Apr 2014 because when I tried the one that made sense, with build dates between July 2012 and Mar 2014, it didn't work. I think it's because the dealer updated my car with the latest software. My M5's build date was Aug 2012.

Anyways installation was rather straightforward.

- Download the latest software from the website onto your USB sticks main directory.
- Turn on the car.
- Insert USB stick.
- Go to iDrive Settings then Software Update then update.
- iDrive screen will the instruct you and tell you how installation is going.
- iPhone6 works again!

Here's a couple screen shots.
Thank you, will give it a try.
      05-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hey E90Fleet, thank you very much for the information. I finally got a chance to update my software on the K5 via the USB update and my iPhone6 is working perfectly again!

Good to hear its all OK again