06-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #23
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
To answer your question: "what other cars will be a step-up from M5 under 100K" - none. Drive the others to see if you like them. Think you'll miss the M5's punch. The 991 drives and feels quite different, test drive and see if you like it. Other than that, no point wasting time. Unfortunately, the Jag F-type isn't upto the mark. They have a faster svr edition thing planned, that might be nice and fast. But yeah, try the 991.
      06-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #24
Rborrow14
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 & M6,X5 4.8is,E39,535

maybe this will help? lol, I love the M cars and nothing will compare the way they drive and handle IMO
in the meantime here is a video of some of sedans out there

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #25
Dansarkis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, i8, V10 R8 Twin turbo

Garage List
If you aren't power crazy then a V8 Manual R8 is the best daily driver out there. You can pick one up in the 70s used or brand new dealers are giving them away around 110 for low optioned cars. There will not be a manual in the next version. Regardless of it being a 7 year old car it is still one of the sexiest on the road.
Grave yard: 14 1100hp GTR, 11 Twin Turbo R8, 13 M5, 09 LP-560, 14 GTR, 08 R8 V8, 11 X5M 700hp, 10 E93 M3, 08 E92 M3, 06 E46 M3 CP, 02 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #26
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansarkis View Post
If you aren't power crazy then a V8 Manual R8 is the best daily driver out there. You can pick one up in the 70s used or brand new dealers are giving them away around 110 for low optioned cars. There will not be a manual in the next version. Regardless of it being a 7 year old car it is still one of the sexiest on the road.
Winner winner chicken dinner! In all seriousness, the OP's original question was what car would you consider to be an "upgrade" to an F10 M5 for under $100,000 dollars. That's a seriously tough question to answer and for me personally, I think that only a few cars make the cut. An upgrade denotes something either more powerful, more luxurious, more exotic, more rare/exclusive or more dynamic to me.

More luxurious/More Powerful: If we are only talking about Sports Sedans, then in reality no other Sports Sedan out there meets the criteria of being a better car in every category (power, luxury, handling, utility, comfort, technology) than the F10 M5 for under $100 grand. The RS7 is the only one that comes close and it's base price is over $100k. Sure the Charger Hellcat is about $40 grand less than an M5 but it's all engine and some people have already raced them with stock M5's and modified M5's, and have beaten them in the straightline. I personally think the Audi S6 is a great car, although not competitive to an M5, but it is substantially cheaper and worth consideration if price is an issue and you want pretty great AWD performance. The S6 does pretty well from 0-60 so you can definitely win a lot of stop light races. The Audi's however lack the some of the luxury options that BMW's have though. So I wouldn't pick an Audi Sedan over a BMW if I am looking for an upgrade in luxury. Perhaps if only considering Power and Performance with luxury and comfort aside, the new 2016 CTS-V is the top contender. I have a feeling it will best the F10 M5 in standardized tests that Carlos Lago does and will be faster in some areas. Some would consider the 2016 CTS-V an upgrade to an F10 M5 if only by the numbers, 250lbs lighter than an F10 M5, with 80 more horsepower, but you have to not care that your passengers in the back seat don't have their own temperature controls and no Soft Close Doors, etc... Base price of the 2016 CTS-V will be way under $100k though.

More Dynamic: Then we get into the Sports Cars side. For under $100k, I think the only real choices are a Cayman GTS, used 991 Carrera S, Vette C7 Z06, and used Audi R8. Remember we have to think of the term "upgrade" here as well. Yeah sure an Alfa Romeo 4C is only 2,400lbs, nearly half the weight of an M5, but would most M5 owners consider that an upgrade? I wouldn't. The Cayman GTS is a fantastic Sports Car although not as raw and track oriented as a Cayman GT4. I didn't include the GT4 in this list because it will almost be impossible to find an allocation at this point even though the base price is under $100K. The GT4 would be my ultimate top choice though. The GTS is the next best thing and is still a much more dynamic and sportier car than an M4 despite the power deficit. There are also plenty of GTS's on sale.

More dynamic/Rare and Exclusive: What more is there to say about a 991 Carrera? In either as a base model or in S trim, it is still one of the best cars out there today. Even a Base 350hp 991 Carrera can achieve a better lap time than an M4. Only bad thing as we all know is that we can option an 991 Carrera out to $150k pretty easily.

More Powerful/More Exotic/More Dynamic: Vette C7 Z06 meets a lot of requirements here. Price is great. Performance is stratospheric. Many consider it to be an exotic car. Only downsides are comfort and perhaps the lack of exclusivity. Definitely the best bang for buck and the most smiles per mile probably. It's really hard to say anything bad about the C7 Z06. It's sexy and not too much out there can stay ahead of it on the street or the track. Since Cayman GT4's will be very difficult to attain, the C7 Z06 mass availability is what makes it a top choice given everything else. One other possible detractor though, is that not everyone is into Vette's or American cars. Sometimes there is this stigma of being one of those you know "Vette" guys. Porsche 911's and Vette Z06's seem to attract a lot of the ahem umm "older" car owners, if you know what I mean. At least this is what I have always seen at Cars and Coffee.

More Exotic/More Dynamic: The Audi R8. Although very slow by today's standards, almost no car can maintain it's exotic looks in what I'm sure will be a timeless design. One of the very best car designs in my book, I would love to own R8 after F10 M5 ownership, even if it's only a V8. Why? It looks fantastic, the performance is not bad, the V8 Version still only weighs about 3,400lbs, you can get a gated manual 6spd shifter (gotta love that clackity clack as you shift), the both the V8 and V10 sound very good (you know with every car going turbo these days, heck even the new Ferrari 488GTB is turbo), AWD (especially great for those who live in winter zone), and great comfort. I find the R8 to be a more comfortable and usable car as a daily driver than a 991 Carrera personally. The 991 feels small and tight, where as the R8 feels spacious and comfortable. In the C7 Z06, it is very low and uncomfortable to get into and out of on a daily basis. You can take the R8 to the track and still have a good time and set a nice lap time although you may be passed by more experienced drivers in an E46 M3, but the R8 was never designed to be a track monster, but you can still drive the R8 home from the track in comfort and have a thousand people take pictures of you on the way home. Besides who needs 650hp on the street? 420hp is plenty enough to break the law with. After all, more power doesn't make you a better driver.

More Exotic: The Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2008 and above only though). The 2008 Aston Martin Vantage is a sexy car. With Exoticness oozing out of it and 420hp, these cars have really come down in price. They sound sexy and are not bad driving experience at all. Not a car you would take to the track though, it's mostly a street dominatrix with it's looks and sound. It will drop many panties for you, if that's what you are into. From a drivers perspective, it would still definitely be a car I would enjoy taking on a mountain drive or a drive on country roads most definitely. The sound of that V8 alone and a nice 6spd manual transmission are what purists dream about.

Well that's my 56 cents.

Last edited by RPiM5; 06-09-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #27
Dansarkis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, i8, V10 R8 Twin turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner! In all seriousness, the OP's original question was what car would you consider to be an "upgrade" to an F10 M5 for under $100,000 dollars. That's a seriously tough question to answer and for me personally, I think that only a few cars make the cut. An upgrade denotes something either more powerful, more luxurious, more exotic, more rare/exclusive or more dynamic to me.

More luxurious/More Powerful: If we are only talking about Sports Sedans, then in reality no other Sports Sedan out there meets the criteria of being a better car in every category (power, luxury, handling, utility, comfort, technology) than the F10 M5 for under $100 grand. The RS7 is the only one that comes close and it's base price is over $100k. Sure the Charger Hellcat is about $40 grand less than an M5 but it's all engine and some people have already raced them with stock M5's and modified M5's, and have beaten them in the straightline. I personally think the Audi S6 is a great car, although not competitive to an M5, but it is substantially cheaper and worth consideration if price is an issue and you want pretty great AWD performance. The S6 does pretty well from 0-60 so you can definitely win a lot of stop light races. The Audi's however lack the some of the luxury options that BMW's have though. So I wouldn't pick an Audi Sedan over a BMW if I am looking for an upgrade in luxury. Perhaps if only considering Power and Performance with luxury and comfort aside, the new 2016 CTS-V is the top contender. I have a feeling it will best the F10 M5 in standardized tests that Carlos Lago does and will be faster in some areas. Some would consider the 2016 CTS-V an upgrade to an F10 M5 if only by the numbers, 250lbs lighter than an F10 M5, with 80 more horsepower, but you have to not care that your passengers in the back seat don't have their own temperature controls and no Soft Close Doors, etc... Base price of the 2016 CTS-V will be way under $100k though.

More Dynamic: Then we get into the Sports Cars side. For under $100k, I think the only real choices are a Cayman GTS, used 991 Carrera S, Vette C7 Z06, and used Audi R8. Remember we have to think of the term "upgrade" here as well. Yeah sure an Alfa Romeo 4C is only 2,400lbs, nearly half the weight of an M5, but would most M5 owners consider that an upgrade? I wouldn't. The Cayman GTS is a fantastic Sports Car although not as raw and track oriented as a Cayman GT4. I didn't include the GT4 in this list because it will almost be impossible to find an allocation at this point even though the base price is under $100K. The GT4 would be my ultimate top choice though. The GTS is the next best thing and is still a much more dynamic and sportier car than an M4 despite the power deficit. There are also plenty of GTS's on sale.

More dynamic/Rare and Exclusive: What more is there to say about a 991 Carrera? In either as a base model or in S trim, it is still one of the best cars out there today. Even a Base 350hp 991 Carrera can achieve a better lap time than an M4. Only bad thing as we all know is that we can option an 991 Carrera out to $150k pretty easily.

More Powerful/More Exotic/More Dynamic: Vette C7 Z06 meets a lot of requirements here. Price is great. Performance is stratospheric. Many consider it to be an exotic car. Only downsides are comfort and perhaps the lack of exclusivity. Definitely the best bang for buck and the most smiles per mile probably. It's really hard to say anything bad about the C7 Z06. It's sexy and not too much out there can stay ahead of it on the street or the track. Since Cayman GT4's will be very difficult to attain, the C7 Z06 mass availability is what makes it a top choice given everything else. One other possible detractor though, is that not everyone is into Vette's or American cars. Sometimes there is this stigma of being one of those you know "Vette" guys. Porsche 911's and Vette Z06's seem to attract a lot of the ahem umm "older" car owners, if you know what I mean. At least this is what I have always seen at Cars and Coffee.

More Exotic/More Dynamic: The Audi R8. Although very slow by today's standards, almost no car can maintain it's exotic looks in what I'm sure will be a timeless design. One of the very best car designs in my book, I would love to own R8 after F10 M5 ownership, even if it's only a V8. Why? It looks fantastic, the performance is not bad, the V8 Version still only weighs about 3,400lbs, you can get a gated manual 6spd shifter (gotta love that clackity clack as you shift), the both the V8 and V10 sound very good (you know with every car going turbo these days, heck even the new Ferrari 488GTB is turbo), AWD (especially great for those who live in winter zone), and great comfort. I find the R8 to be a more comfortable and usable car as a daily driver than a 991 Carrera personally. The 991 feels small and tight, where as the R8 feels spacious and comfortable. In the C7 Z06, it is very low and uncomfortable to get into and out of on a daily basis. You can take the R8 to the track and still have a good time and set a nice lap time although you may be passed by more experienced drivers in an E46 M3, but the R8 was never designed to be a track monster, but you can still drive the R8 home from the track in comfort and have a thousand people take pictures of you on the way home. Besides who needs 650hp on the street? 420hp is plenty enough to break the law with. After all, more power doesn't make you a better driver.

More Exotic: The Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2008 and above only though). The 2008 Aston Martin Vantage is a sexy car. With Exoticness oozing out of it and 420hp, these cars have really come down in price. They sound sexy and are not bad driving experience at all. Not a car you would take to the track though, it's mostly a street dominatrix with it's looks and sound. It will drop many panties for you, if that's what you are into. From a drivers perspective, it would still definitely be a car I would enjoy taking on a mountain drive or a drive on country roads most definitely. The sound of that V8 alone and a nice 6spd manual transmission are what purists dream about.

Well that's my 56 cents.

Thats about as good as it gets!! Well written
Grave yard: 14 1100hp GTR, 11 Twin Turbo R8, 13 M5, 09 LP-560, 14 GTR, 08 R8 V8, 11 X5M 700hp, 10 E93 M3, 08 E92 M3, 06 E46 M3 CP, 02 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
The new Cadillac CTS- V would certainly been on the money If available to test. Maybe not as quick as the dodge but I'm sure it would have impressed.
      06-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #29
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rborrow14 View Post
maybe this will help? lol, I love the M cars and nothing will compare the way they drive and handle IMO
in the meantime here is a video of some of sedans out there

Off topic but:
The most subjectively biased video I have ever watched
Hellcat is claimed to be the fastest sedan car because:
1. The other cars have governor limiter
2. Non of them (except M5) are fast enough to reach the last battle
3. The way they setup competition is to put Jaguar (huge car with 206" length which is slower than M5 in any comparison except speed limiter) in race with hellcat

Now what about this setup:
0-60:
group 1 : Aston (4.9), Cadillac (4.2), Mercedes (4.0) -->> Aston out
group 2: Jaguar (4.4), M5 (3.8), Hellcat (3.7) -->> Jaguar out

Drag:
M5 vs Cadillac --->> Cadillac out
Hellcat vs Mercedes (over 5000lb ) --->> Mercedes out

Finnal:
M5 (with no speed limiter) vs Hellcat -->> ???

The question is:
1. Why RS7 is not there to beat Hellcat in first battle (0-60) and put it out of picture?
2. Why E63 S is not there to beat hellcat in second battle (Drag)?

So if they really want to know which car is the fastest sedan in the world they have to have this setup:

a. Hellcat
b. RS7
c. E63 S
d. M5 CP
e. Panamera TTS
f. Cadillac CTS (V)

All of these cars have similar weight and length + under 4 second (0-60) + very close trap speed and 1/4 mile time

Bottom line: They have selected 4 "pre-loser" cars to show hellcat is the fastest Sedan in the world
P.S: The purpose of a video is to prove the concept... why they announced 204 mph when he just achieved 194 mph? Oh yeah he explained " the racetrack was not long enough...." lol
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #30
ericdad
Private
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karney5
So, I find myself not "bored" with the M5, but an itch to get something else.

I bought my CPO 2013 M5 with every option checked off for a little under $65k, and I've put on nearly 10k miles in just over 6 months. I think I'll be selling it for around $57k-$60k.

That being said, I have no idea what I want next. One of my professors has a M6 GC which looks absolutely gorgeous, but I want something with 2 doors, just so it looks a bit sportier, and I have been looking at a 2014 M6. The R8 also seems like a good option, but what other cars would be a step up from the M5 UNDER $100k? Any input from some of the guys that burn through cars like pieces of gum...
We just took delivery of an i8 and it is a great companion to our 2014 CP M5. I think it's a bit over the price range you quoted but suits your requirement perfectly otherwise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #31
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karney5 View Post
So, I find myself not "bored" with the M5, but an itch to get something else.
but what other cars would be a step up from the M5 UNDER $100k? Any input from some of the guys that burn through cars like pieces of gum...
i dont think theres anything thats a "step up" from an m5 for under $100k new??

otherwise, a used 911 turbo/s?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #32
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

F Type R....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #33
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425
I was in the same boat. I sold my 2013 M5 on April 24th, bought a 2015 F150 Platinum, jacked it up a bit, put some big wheels on it, sold it 5 weeks later, now I'm picking up a 2014 M5 CP this week on swapalease, I'll keep this for 2 years and then deal with the first world issue of what to drive next.

I absolutely love the Cayman GTS, drove one on the track (Porsche World Event) and WOW, what an awesome car! That could be in the cards in a couple of years or a 911 GTS.
Why would you sell in 5 weeks??? Impulse buy followed by deep regret???
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #34
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Porsche is definitely up next for me, getting bored of the M5 as well. It's very fast and comfortable but just want something 2 doors and more nimble. GT3 or if this year is good to me Huracan
Appreciate 0