M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #89
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomis View Post
Its never to late to start training....im 36 now so for me its just for fun and stay in shape i'll guess...

Ok cool!
I am 29 and I have had 3 local businesses open up within a 2 mile radius of my house; Karate, BJJ and TKD / Kung Fu. I am really interested in taking some lessons. I am mostly interested in BJJ as every match I see on UFC it seems as the the BJJ guy has a lil bit of a one up on his opponent. I am not looking to compete at my age, but mainly want to use this as a good past time that will keep me in shape as I have gained a good 10 lbs over the past 2-3 years and need something to get my heart rate going again. I sit in an office for 50+ hrs a week and could use the conditioning. What would you guys say will get me the best conditioning?
Thanks in advance
      04-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #90
hayabusa55
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Ok cool!
I am 29 and I have had 3 local businesses open up within a 2 mile radius of my house; Karate, BJJ and TKD / Kung Fu. I am really interested in taking some lessons. I am mostly interested in BJJ as every match I see on UFC it seems as the the BJJ guy has a lil bit of a one up on his opponent. I am not looking to compete at my age, but mainly want to use this as a good past time that will keep me in shape as I have gained a good 10 lbs over the past 2-3 years and need something to get my heart rate going again. I sit in an office for 50+ hrs a week and could use the conditioning. What would you guys say will get me the best conditioning?
Thanks in advance
I've done BJJ and Muay Thai. BJJ is great and some of the moves are amazing, but I still prefer Muay Thai. I'd also recommend it over BJJ in terms of exercise benefits.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #91
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I've done BJJ and Muay Thai. BJJ is great and some of the moves are amazing, but I still prefer Muay Thai. I'd also recommend it over BJJ in terms of exercise benefits.
hmmmm, I will look into this. Thanks for the insight. I should pick some of this stuff up relatively well, I think for a while it is all about flexibility and stretches tho correct?
      04-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #92
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
+1 on MT I love it just because its very intense workout for me and keeps the heart rate moving!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #93
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
+1 on MT I love it just because its very intense workout for me and keeps the heart rate moving!
Which of the workouts would you guys say has the least injury risk? Not to sound like a wuss, but I'd love to get into some MMA training but I can't afford to get myself injured.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #94
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I love doing MT. Going to training tonight. I've been asked to fight in some amateur bouts but I can't go to the office with bruises on my face.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #95
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
this makes no sense! MMA is a mix of martial arts, it not ground fighting.

Oh, I make no sense...Thanks.

Here are the facts. MMA may stand for "mixed martial arts" but it's far from that. Most MMA fighters are graplers who have added kickboxing techniques to their repertoire and have been trained from day 1 that there are rules to abide by. That happens to be a far cry from the way most "stand-up" (for lack of a better word) systems were meant to be used. With the exception of some pro MMA fighters, I've yet to see a moderately experienced MMA person acurately execute any level of close-range, stand-up fighting technique (where the real damage is done). Instead, when the distance is closed, they opt for the grapple. That may work in a ring (along with a mohawk and lots of tattoos) but it may not always wont work in life-or-death. Especially when you start getting older.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #96
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
I love doing MT. Going to training tonight. I've been asked to fight in some amateur bouts but I can't go to the office with bruises on my face.
Why not, Ed Norton did in Fight Club.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #97
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
Which of the workouts would you guys say has the least injury risk? Not to sound like a wuss, but I'd love to get into some MMA training but I can't afford to get myself injured.
In MMA, it all depends on the instructor. Some will train you to a level where injury will be much less likely, and some are assholes who will throw you to the wolves when you're a beginner.

To this day, I still believe the best way to learn grappling is with good old fashioned Kodokan Judo (what do you think Helio Gracie learned?)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #98
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
I personally think every type of MMA training is very susceptible to injury and if you jump into this type of sport you have to expect either a bruise or something minimum. After all, MMA training is for fight training and if you train you need to fight. Competitive or not and that is how you learn in this type of sport.

If you want workout without injury than go to the gym for weight training / cardio exercises / core work outs etc etc
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #99
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
How old are the majority of you guys training? How old is too late to start, not to be competitive but to just stay in shape and learn? I have taken some kick boxing lessons in the past from a private teacher, but nothing organized. I love watching UFC and WEC and have gone to a few local events now that it has been legalized in PA.
one of the guys I train with is about 47 and he's only be doing it for a year and a half. He's excellent but I think some of it comes from his Judo background. Regardless though, he won his division at Pan Am's even though he was fighting a couple age groups down.

Just go for it, 29 is definitely not too old
      04-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #100
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Oh, I make no sense...Thanks.

Here are the facts. MMA may stand for "mixed martial arts" but it's far from that. Most MMA fighters are graplers who have added kickboxing techniques to their repertoire and have been trained from day 1 that there are rules to abide by. That happens to be a far cry from the way most "stand-up" (for lack of a better word) systems were meant to be used. With the exception of some pro MMA fighters, I've yet to see a moderately experienced MMA person acurately execute any level of close-range, stand-up fighting technique (where the real damage is done). Instead, when the distance is closed, they opt for the grapple. That may work in a ring (along with a mohawk and lots of tattoos) but it may not always wont work in life-or-death. Especially when you start getting older.
still doesnt make sense.. Im not disagreeing that stand up "may" be prefered in a "bar" fight. however, MMA is not BJJ, two different things.
Also, when your trained correctly going to the ground in a "bar fight" may not be that bad an idea. If you know what your doing you can easily subdue your apponent and move to the next one. On the ground or standing up.
The bigest problem is when people like you say that boxing is better then bjj or whatever you said earilier.. MMA is a mix of fighting, both standing and ground. so if your trained correctly then thats the best to have. Or you can take MT and BJJ or some combination. which is basically an MMA class.
enough of that ramble. lol
      04-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #101
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
still doesnt make sense.. Im not disagreeing that stand up "may" be prefered in a "bar" fight. however, MMA is not BJJ, two different things.
Also, when your trained correctly going to the ground in a "bar fight" may not be that bad an idea. If you know what your doing you can easily subdue your apponent and move to the next one. On the ground or standing up.
The bigest problem is when people like you say that boxing is better then bjj or whatever you said earilier.. MMA is a mix of fighting, both standing and ground. so if your trained correctly then thats the best to have. Or you can take MT and BJJ or some combination. which is basically an MMA class.
enough of that ramble. lol
I've been training/fighting for 21 years. You?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #102
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Maybe BJJ in a one on one fight, since most fights end up on the ground. But if that person has friends, you run the chance of getting stomped and kicked or worse stabbed, shot, or hit with a blunt object. Plus they could bite, gouge eyes, and headbutt you while you are on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #103
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've been training/fighting for 21 years. You?
All my life.

whats that prove?
      04-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #104
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
+1

...After my 20 years of martial arts experience...you are correct! MMA is BS in the street or a bar. What are you going to do in a bar...take me down and put me in the guard while my friend breaks a Bacardi bottle over your head? Not quite. MMA works best in arranged matches with rules. Real martial arts work best in quick, reactionary scenarios where there is a definitive attacker and a definitive defender.
Again, here is what you wrote..

and again, this makes no sense. Have you trained MMA? MMA is a mixture of martial arts. I don't know why you think MMA means going to the ground. that would be BJJ.

so once again. MMA is a mix of standup and ground styles.

If you trained MMA and it was all ground work , then go somewhere else.
Most places that have MMA, train BJJ, Boxing, judo, etc. so AGAIN it is a mix of fighting styles, which would be way better then any ONE style, period.

if you have been traiining for 20+ years. you have been sheltered and you are to hung up on the one style you train.. expand brother.
      04-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #105
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again, here is what you wrote..

and again, this makes no sense. Have you trained MMA? MMA is a mixture of martial arts. I don't know why you think MMA means going to the ground. that would be BJJ.

so once again. MMA is a mix of standup and ground styles.

If you trained MMA and it was all ground work , then go somewhere else.
Most places that have MMA, train BJJ, Boxing, judo, etc. so AGAIN it is a mix of fighting styles, which would be way better then any ONE style, period.

if you have been traiining for 20+ years. you have been sheltered and you are to hung up on the one style you train.. expand brother.

You sound like a child...again.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #106
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just watch the Bas Rutten videos for bar fights
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #107
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You sound like a child...again.
Thanks.
      04-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #108
hayabusa55
Private
Rep

Quote:
hmmmm, I will look into this. Thanks for the insight. I should pick some of this stuff up relatively well, I think for a while it is all about flexibility and stretches tho correct?
For me it was straight to punching and kicking on the first day. They paid a bit more attention to me since I was new, but other than that, there's little else.

I think most Muay Thai schools do three 3-min rounds or so of warm up. Jump rope, bouncing on a tire, shadow boxing...
Quote:
Depends on the school. Like someone else said, some instructors/students are rough, others less so. Don't go training with the Diaz brothers.

We work pads a lot, so I haven't had more than a few bruises (from when people miss, which doesn't happen often) but I'm planning on moving up to the next level, where you spar with others in the ring. Yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
If you want workout without injury than go to the gym for weight training / cardio exercises / core work outs etc etc
Boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
Just watch the Bas Rutten videos for bar fights
Indispensable advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #109
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
For me it was straight to punching and kicking on the first day. They paid a bit more attention to me since I was new, but other than that, there's little else.

I think most Muay Thai schools do three 3-min rounds or so of warm up. Jump rope, bouncing on a tire, shadow boxing...
Thanks Busa! Sounds like a lot of fun, I know I would enjoy myself.
      04-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #110
hayabusa55
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Busa! Sounds like a lot of fun, I know I would enjoy myself.
Well, then... Don't delay! Check out a few schools and start working on it.

I'm a relative novice, but I'll answer any questions I can.
Appreciate 0