M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Any MMA, BJJ, Muy Thai fighters here?

For the past 2 months or so I have been taking classes at a MMA (mixed martial arts) school. They offer BJJ (with and without GI), MMA, and Muy Thai. I must say that I took the first class feeling good ( I weighed 225lbs and have always been a gymrat) and left that same day a VERY humble person.

I'm at 215lbs, leaner, and quicker than I was 2 months ago. I have been favoring BJJ with Gi. I will take 2 classes of it twice a week, and if I have time I'll go to one of the No-Gi classes. I have taken a few private elssons, along with attending a few Open Mat sessions on the weekend.

Although I feel I have been progressing, I can't seem to think that I'm learning fast enough.

Yesterday was a bad class (in my mind). During two "6 minute" rolls with other students, I was tapped 5 times. Any attempt at passing guard resulted in a quick submission on my part. There are times that I feel good and confident, and there are times like these that I leave soo angry I cannot get the thought out of my head.

Any tips, ideas, motivational strategies any of you fellow fighters can offer? Doesn't neccesarily have to apply to MMA.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Buy a gun.

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilver View Post
Buy a gun.
Haha. Whats the fun in that.

Plus, this is not for self defense as much as it is for extracuricular activity. I look forward to attending competions and events in the fiture.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm a cock fighter, does that count?
      03-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
I'm a cock fighter, does that count?

EDIT:

Ha Ha. The cage I fight in is a litter larger than yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
On a serious note, no, I don't do any MMA training. I am, however, a huge UFC fan, so I'm appreciative of the training, skill, and courage required.
      03-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
On a serious note, no, I don't do any MMA training. I am, however, a huge UFC fan, so I'm appreciative of the training, skill, and courage required.

Thats cool... There was a recent NAGA competition here in Miami this Saturday. Didn't compete, but the level of fighters there were incredible.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post
Any tips, ideas, motivational strategies any of you fellow fighters can offer? Doesn't neccesarily have to apply to MMA.
F all that bullsh+t. you wanna learn how to fight then take it to the streets and fight for real...

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
nine4surfah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Electric Red

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'd been practicing the sport of Judo for about 7years but I haven't been training for almost 2years now. When I was actively training we would ronduri at the end of each class and I would get very frustrated whenever I'd loose a match. It was especially frustrating when I would loose by ippon (full point throw) because if it was a clean throw then the match was over. I vented my frustrations by training harder and intentionally match up with more skillfull opponents hoping to learn a thing or too. I really need to get back out on the mat!
      03-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Just keep showing up. Pretty soon you'll get to where you are tapping others. A few of us train with what we wear - uniform, vest, etc. Nothing hurts more than a 5min roll in full tac gear. I can say that a simple armbar saved my life one night. Never know when you'll use it.

Also, check out www.crossfit.com for a damn good workout. I had about 6mos of xfit under my belt when I had my wreck. I'm still looking at another 3 months or so before I can hit it hard again. Before the xfit, I only thought I was in shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 05:13 AM   #11
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
There are times that I feel good and confident, and there are times like these that I leave soo angry I cannot get the thought out of my head.
I know what you mean. Do you ever leave the gym replaying the scenario in your head thinking if you had trapped this arm, passed this leg, shifted your base, etc. then you would've done better? I do that sometimes haha.

I remember when I first began training I was getting tapped fairly regularly because not only was I training with the experienced white belts, but because I was impatient. As they say, "position before submission." It helped when I got submitted by someone, I'd ask them after class to show me how they set it up, so that way I learned how to attack someone else with the same moves, and also to defend it in the future since I recognized what they were doing. I don't see tapping during training as a bad thing since it's a learning experience (unless you tap to the same move every time haha), but it definitely feels good to submit someone else.

If you're ever around the NYC area, drop a line if you need a training partner, or if you want to check out Renzo's academy.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
F all that bullsh+t. you wanna learn how to fight then take it to the streets and fight for real...
What are you talking about? The idea behind MMA, BJJ, Muy Thai is that its for real world street fighting. I promise you, that everything is real inside a cage with padded gloves on.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91 Dude View Post
I know what you mean. Do you ever leave the gym replaying the scenario in your head thinking if you had trapped this arm, passed this leg, shifted your base, etc. then you would've done better? I do that sometimes haha.

I remember when I first began training I was getting tapped fairly regularly because not only was I training with the experienced white belts, but because I was impatient. As they say, "position before submission." It helped when I got submitted by someone, I'd ask them after class to show me how they set it up, so that way I learned how to attack someone else with the same moves, and also to defend it in the future since I recognized what they were doing. I don't see tapping during training as a bad thing since it's a learning experience (unless you tap to the same move every time haha), but it definitely feels good to submit someone else.

If you're ever around the NYC area, drop a line if you need a training partner, or if you want to check out Renzo's academy.

Yesterday I had a Gi class. As expected, I do a lot better in Gi classes. Makes me want to wear my Gi everywhere.

Tapped a guy with a kimora from guard. Next fight hung in the whole 6 minutes with a Blue belt. Didn't tap him, but neither did he...

My mentality yesterday was, "w/e happens, happens", which actually made it easier for me to set up and attack. Where as there are time that I over think what I am about to do, so while I'm reaching to get my hooks in, the other dude was completely setting me up for something else.

One thing I want to say again is that, I went into this club 225lbs of bulk muscle, always being a gymrat and outweighing a lot of the other members, and left that same day a very very humble man...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #14
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
One thing I want to say again is that, I went into this club 225lbs of bulk muscle, always being a gymrat and outweighing a lot of the other members, and left that same day a very very humble man...
Have you ever rolled with a girl or old man before? That's a really humbling experience when they school you on the ground. No matter how much I try, I can't put a girl in my triangle, or have her put one me in hers though haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What are you talking about? The idea behind MMA, BJJ, Muy Thai is that its for real world street fighting. I promise you, that everything is real inside a cage with padded gloves on.
i never said it wasn't real, i enjoy watching mma etc very much. in my experience though a seasoned street fighter that has fought many times always beats some guy that thinks he can fight because he paid $65.00 a month to some instructer.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Whats a streetfighter to you? A brawler? To me some brawler on the street will always OWN against some of the more POPULAR martial arts (TKD or Karate). Why? Because their techniques are not realistic. Muy Thai and BJJ is taking Martial Arts and being a realist with them. Its taking multiple arts that all ahve their weaknesses and satisfying those weaknesses with an art that prevails at it.

Are you to say Matt Hughes (Big striker and grappler), Anderson Silva (Legendary Muy Thai fighter), even Royce Gracie (BJJ), would get owned by some bouncer brawler in a bar? Not likely.

Most of those type of streetfighting brawlers I think of have no technique, or skill, just rely on throwing 10 punches, hoping 3 will hit.

Now Im not saying Im going to go out and pick some fights, but just defending the FACT that most brawlers as you mention have no technique or idea of what they're doing, and will always get owned by a skilled Mixed Martial Artists. I've also had my fair share of bar fights out in a parking lot (before I began MMA), so I know what I mean when I say Brawler.

BTW, i reread this post, and Im not arguing. Just sort of debating back with you...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91 Dude View Post
Have you ever rolled with a girl or old man before? That's a really humbling experience when they school you on the ground. No matter how much I try, I can't put a girl in my triangle, or have her put one me in hers though haha.

There is this girl in our No-Gi class. The first week I started I was paired with her. When it was time to roll she completely dominated. I took a few strikes to the face and a fat lip, and even when I would try to strike her back, she had me on closed guard so my armlength wasn't adequate enough to cause her any damage... Very humbling. Did I mention that I outweighed her by friggin 90lbs maybe? Brawn and guts needed to take a back seat from then on.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whats a streetfighter to you? A brawler? To me some brawler on the street will always OWN against some of the more POPULAR martial arts (TKD or Karate). Why? Because their techniques are not realistic. Muy Thai and BJJ is taking Martial Arts and being a realist with them. Its taking multiple arts that all ahve their weaknesses and satisfying those weaknesses with an art that prevails at it.

Are you to say Matt Hughes (Big striker and grappler), Anderson Silva (Legendary Muy Thai fighter), even Royce Gracie (BJJ), would get owned by some bouncer brawler in a bar? Not likely.

Most of those type of streetfighting brawlers I think of have no technique, or skill, just rely on throwing 10 punches, hoping 3 will hit.

Now Im not saying Im going to go out and pick some fights, but just defending the FACT that most brawlers as you mention have no technique or idea of what they're doing, and will always get owned by a skilled Mixed Martial Artists. I've also had my fair share of bar fights out in a parking lot (before I began MMA), so I know what I mean when I say Brawler.

BTW, i reread this post, and Im not arguing. Just sort of debating back with you...
i'm not arguing with you either just having a discussion. i agree with most of what you say above except that you omit one important fact. most street fighter have 10x more instinct than a formally trained fighter. and when you say that most streetfighters have no technigue or skill, i could not disagree with you more.
any streetfighter that gets off 10 punches and lands just 3 well then the fight is all over right there because to me that is the difference. a streetfighter will take a shot to give a shot and this attitude is what wins fights. you have to have that killer instinct and do what ever it takes to win. jmo, based on real world experience growing up.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'm not arguing with you either just having a discussion. i agree with most of what you say above except that you omit one important fact. most street fighter have 10x more instinct than a formally trained fighter. and when you say that most streetfighters have no technigue or skill, i could not disagree with you more.
any streetfighter that gets off 10 punches and lands just 3 well then the fight is all over right there because to me that is the difference. a streetfighter will take a shot to give a shot and this attitude is what wins fights. you have to have that killer instinct and do what ever it takes to win. jmo, based on real world experience growing up.
Correct, which is also why MMA clubs, atleast where Im at now, offer Cage Octagon fighting where anyone is welcome. Every day we roll. Unlike other Arts, MMA training requires you to actually practice your technique on another person, while that other person is being taought to defend it. There is no shadow kicking or slow formations. When its time to roll, you can do w/e you want (punch, kick, elbow, pull, choke without any real technique if you choose), only thing is that in order to actually conquer anything against the other person you have to be strategic and smart about what you are going to do. If you look at my chest, knees, you will find bruising galore. Before even going to class, I throw an Cold Gel Pack into the freezer, because I know Im going to be coming out sore and in a little pain. The fights and rolls we have in class do way more than simulate an actual streetfight, they prepare you for a streetfight against someone who knows what they are doing...

EDIT: A big convincing factor to me (I too felt a little apprehensive about MMA) is to search youtube for vids a MMA against my infamous "brawlers". Look at the vids of karate Blackbelts get owned by a blue belt BJJ. Very Very convincing and inspiring...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

all i can say is good luck with your training and protect those knees at all costs. btw i'm a lover not a fighter.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #21
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
all i can say is good luck with your training and protect those knees at all costs. btw i'm a lover not a fighter.
Haha! Same here... I don't wanna come off as some ego driven wannabe warrior, after all, it just takes one dude hidhing a gun in his pants to end it all... My activity is directed for sport and competition only... Whatever happens inbetween is a gamble.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

I've done muay thai for the past 3 to 4 years now. I stopped fighting about a year ago tho due to a few injuries, but I love the sport!

Before that I was in Tae kwon do for over 10 years. BTW that doesn't help you on the street so much. I don't want to start a debate, so that's just my opinion guys.

Anyways, some motivational tips...hmm well my motivation was to be able to utilize what i learned in the ring. Putting all my training together and testing to see how i do against other similar trained fighters. That may be something you could look forward to. When i fought, i trained 6 days a week, twice a day sometimes. Put all your effort and commitment into it, and when your match/fight comes up, you'll be well prepared. In the end, it'll be worth it. All the training and sacrafice you did is worth it when your hand is raised for the win. Set a goal and keep your eye on the prize. Hope that helps!

Most muay thai fighters are pretty humble once you know them. We tend to look kinda mean sometimes, and our actions show it in the ring, but when we're not fighting, we're just normal people. haha For instance, in one of my fights, i opened up my opponents nose and he was bleeding pretty bad. During the fight i was "hunting" for the ko so i pressed him and became pretty aggressive. But after the fight, we talk and hang out, bought him a beer and now when i see him, we're friends.
Appreciate 0