M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post
For the past 2 months or so I have been taking classes at a MMA (mixed martial arts) school. They offer BJJ (with and without GI), MMA, and Muy Thai. I must say that I took the first class feeling good ( I weighed 225lbs and have always been a gymrat) and left that same day a VERY humble person.

I'm at 215lbs, leaner, and quicker than I was 2 months ago. I have been favoring BJJ with Gi. I will take 2 classes of it twice a week, and if I have time I'll go to one of the No-Gi classes. I have taken a few private elssons, along with attending a few Open Mat sessions on the weekend.

Although I feel I have been progressing, I can't seem to think that I'm learning fast enough.

Yesterday was a bad class (in my mind). During two "6 minute" rolls with other students, I was tapped 5 times. Any attempt at passing guard resulted in a quick submission on my part. There are times that I feel good and confident, and there are times like these that I leave soo angry I cannot get the thought out of my head.

Any tips, ideas, motivational strategies any of you fellow fighters can offer? Doesn't neccesarily have to apply to MMA.
yes, quite MMA right away and start with a traditional art or Krav Maga. MMA is a mix of arts where you do not master any of them. Keep Jeet Kune Do's philosophy (not the commercialized art, but Lee's philosophy) in your mind when you practice anything. Stick to it, and do not quit. it will pay off at the end
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #24
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Studied Judo, Karate, Boxing, Wrestling, Aikido, and now Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido to varying degrees. All take time; there is no substitute for experience. It comes slowly, at least for me, so do not get frustrated and be sure to practice the technique. Lots of time it all goes out the window when sparring but they really work when performed appropriately. It also helps me to work within my physical limits; no roundhouse kicks to the head here (unless you are about 5' tall) or wrestling with 300lbers. Good luck.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

i've been training BJJ for about 2 years now i think. I currently train 3-4 days a week. Even thought there is no gi, I love to train with gi.

Motiviation? Well when i first started i was 178lb. And i was getting tapped left and right by thinner dudes. One thing i did notice though is, i would be COMPLETELY gassed by the first 3 minutes... And they would walk all over me.

So i went from, getting tapped many times a roll, to sometimes, to rarely. Then it went to NOT getting tapped and just holding my own. THAT believe it or not means you've gained knowledge and your learning. And before you know it, you will tap someone out. Maybe not in every roll, but you will.

I feel in jiu jitsu the belts are earned. I currently hold 1 stripe blue belt. And i didn't know how much i know untill i rolled with white belts, and it's a completely another game. They use so much power, and force. I rely on sweeps, and of course submissions. And some of these bigger guys, i just hold on a little untill i hit about 2.5 - 3 minutes.... They usually tire out because i give them positions where they feel they need power and waist all there oxygen and power.. Then it's a walk in the park to take their backs, or wherever.

Then i get back to the advanced classes, and it's back to normal....TRAINING. Unfortunately, the ONLY way to get better is time on the matt. Watching video's on youtube, or google, or buying $100 dvd, and books, can help... It will help a lot more if your are more advanced because you will know how to apply those subbmissions or sweeps to your rolling. If you are a beginner, you will look to do ONE move, and you will get stopped almost every single time, and get subbmitted.

Every now and then we get these guys who watch ufc, pride, kot, and want to mimic those moves, and think it's all armbars, guard, and guillatine... BUT after training they didn't expect to get purples in the shines, arms, neck chokes that leave hickey like marks, swollen fingers from grabbing on to the gi, knees that have scrapes, and are soar, etc... Then they quit. After you've been there a while, you will have harder grip so your fingers will be used to being crucket (spell?), your knees will built tollorence to the ground, neck chokes aren't all that back, etc...

Just relax and spend more time on the matt, that is really the ONLY way to progress. Time on the matt. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #26
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
One thing I want to say again is that, I went into this club 225lbs of bulk muscle, always being a gymrat and outweighing a lot of the other members, and left that same day a very very humble man...
Yeah, that seems to be the case often.

I've been doing Muay Thai for almost 3 years now, although not as much as I'd like in the past 6-8 months. I'm by no means a big guy (6'2", but only 150-155lbs), but you play to your strengths... I keep people at a distance with kicks and jabs, or get them in a clinch and go to town with my knees.

It's fun when new guys come to the gym, 'cause there are always one or two who think "I can bench more then you, I'll kick your a**!" Those big guys typically don't have the flexibility or energy needed. By the second round of sparing, they can barely put any weight on their legs.
      08-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #27
SIM SIMMA!
Don't read this sentence!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon: AW E92 M3

Really good thread, thanks for all the info guys.

I'm in the process of looking for gyms to join in the SFV area (Big John's school in Valencia or Machado's in Tarzana) and its good to read up on diff experiences.

What were the first couple of months like? Do they teach a lot of concepts before going into actual training?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #28
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

from my experiance, the first couple of months was really, catching up and trying to catch the rythm of what they were doing to me. Getting to know the people. Thankfully, in my bjj, and i think most, there are a lot of humble guys. Cool respectfull guys. I felt very welcomed, and wondered when i was going to be like other who come in and everyone say what's up to... NOW, that happens. I go to bjj and most are like "aaiiiiii clark!!!" so yeah it feels good.

I got a LOT of bruses... Now, i don't know if i'm used to the bruses or what, but i don't get that many bruses. It's like i would bruis easily before. Now minimal.

I was NOT that flexible. To do certain moves, i wouldn't use my hips to get an armbar, or triangle or whatever, now it's better. more flexible more air.

Just remember your there to learn. Just keep learning and don't be afraid to ask.. Usually people want to help, but don't know you want it, if you don't ask. Good luck bro!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #29
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've been training for the last 10 years with a friend of mine, Mike Taylor, who trains directly with the Gracie's, and several other high profile UFC fighters. We train in BJJ (no Gi), Jeet Kun Do, and Muay Thai. Mike is a 3rd degree black belt in BJJ and Jeet Kun Do. He's a great teacher, and I've learned a lot in the last 10 years.

I'm planning to get in top shape soon, and begin competing at the amateur level. I also have an in with Bodog, so if I do well at all, I may get into the Bodog circuit.

I fight for the reassurance it gives me that I'm not made of glass. I like stepping into the ring and going toe to toe, and knowing that I'm strong willed and strong bodied enough to not back down until I know I'm beat, if I'm beat.

I think every man needs to fight every once in a while, just to prove to yourself that you are the man you claim to be. If you get your ass handed to you, then it's humbling and you'll either shut up or step up. If you win, then you can rest assured that you can defend yourself and your loved one's and that you're not a liar.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #30
SIM SIMMA!
Don't read this sentence!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmister View Post
from my experiance, the first couple of months was really, catching up and trying to catch the rythm of what they were doing to me. Getting to know the people. Thankfully, in my bjj, and i think most, there are a lot of humble guys. Cool respectfull guys. I felt very welcomed, and wondered when i was going to be like other who come in and everyone say what's up to... NOW, that happens. I go to bjj and most are like "aaiiiiii clark!!!" so yeah it feels good.

I got a LOT of bruses... Now, i don't know if i'm used to the bruses or what, but i don't get that many bruses. It's like i would bruis easily before. Now minimal.

I was NOT that flexible. To do certain moves, i wouldn't use my hips to get an armbar, or triangle or whatever, now it's better. more flexible more air.

Just remember your there to learn. Just keep learning and don't be afraid to ask.. Usually people want to help, but don't know you want it, if you don't ask. Good luck bro!
Thanks alot for the info, much appreciated.

I'm definitely going into this with a (for lack of a better term) 'dry sponge' mentality and just hope that I'll have the good fortune of being able to work with good teachers.

Looking to sign up in the next month or so - I'll try to remember to update this thread and break down my 'rookie experience'
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #31
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
F all that bullsh+t. you wanna learn how to fight then take it to the streets and fight for real...

what are you talking about MMA fighters IMO are the best fighters in the world, because they learn to fight in every aspect from the ground to stand up and they do not use padded gloves either. Also in the earlier post you talk about brawlers being the best fighters I don't think so, because if a MMA figher takes you to the ground I'm sure the brawler would have no idea what to do and get his limbs broken or beaten down. Don't say that the brawler can avoid it, because trying to counter a take down is very hard and not easy at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #32
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

I've been with Serra BJJ in East Meadow, NY since Oct. of last year. Pretty good work out and self defense techniques IMO. I'm 38 already and I feel that I'm in much better shape than when I was in my 20's. I'm a HUGE MMA fan and love the art of BJJ. I completely disagree with brunotheboxer. MMA practitioners certainly have an edge over street fighters (i.e. Tank Abbott, where is he now? ) Good luck in your training joyriide.
BTW, I still have the wheels I bought from you.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #33
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

hey im kinda in ur shoes. ive been training MMA more muay ti though then bjj b/c i suck and had a bad exp. But i like it, its hard work and make u alot more humble at the end of the class b/c im 6'2 215 lbs pretty muscular guy and i know how to fight a lil bit but after watching some of these other classmates that have been doin this for a yr or two weighing 170 at 6'0 they would scrap my ass in real life. and u never would think they can, but they train hard and r movitavated. I like it and hope to be good at it some day maybe not UFC good b/c i just dont think i have it in me but i love the sport and i love doin it plus its helped me out in life get over things.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #34
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have a big wrestling background and rolled with my friend in JJ back in the day. He currently competes and I'm looking to get back into shape. Eventually I plan on getting back into classes.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #35
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Interesting!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #36
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Oh, I am training now, just for fun/health, not to fight.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #37
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Nice!

I took 3 weeks off. I gotta say, taking a break for these 3 weeks has really helped. I went to class with afresh mind and my body was thankful.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #38
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
i just did business with an MMA fighter.... Stephane Dube...

he fought this past weekend at TKO 30 Apocolypse... he lost, i wanted to make fun of him, but didnt, just in case he took it the wrong way...

cool guy
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #39
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Although I feel I have been progressing, I can't seem to think that I'm learning fast enough.
BJJ is very slow learned. sit back relax and soak it all up.
      10-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #40
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
yes, quite MMA right away =====. Stick to it, and do not quit. it will pay off at the end
MAntis which do you want him to do? you want him to quit something or stick with it?
      10-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Oh, I am training now, just for fun/health, not to fight.
Where are you training out in OC?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #42
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Where are you training out in OC?
Nolimitsmma.com

What about you? I recently hurt my rib/lat grappling with my friend though. He's an instructor there.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #43
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Nolimitsmma.com

What about you? I recently hurt my rib/lat grappling with my friend though. He's an instructor there.
I only grapple to supplement my Capoeira training, but when I do train, it's with students from Millenia JiuJitsu and Sharktank. My buddy lives in Coto, so when I head out there we roll at the 24HR Fitness in Ladera.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #44
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

joyride where here in Miami are you going? ive been boxing at Tropical Park for over a year and been going to FFA for almost a year on and off....
Appreciate 0