M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #45
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
practice iron head. Will be handy someday...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #46
2K5 325i
srsly *****'n!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007/8 TiAg 335i 'Vert

I trained in BJJ for about 10 months with Romero "Jacare´" Cavalcanti.

I was friends with his step-son who is a straight MMA monster. I would put money on him versus anyone his weight, height, + 50lbs or 6". He has been doing MMA for his entire life.

This guy was legit:
* Bachelor Degree in Physical Ed. (Gama Filho University Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 1978)
* 6th Degree Black Belt, BJJ (1982 Gracie School)
* Head Coach Alliance Team, USA/Brazil, est. 1985
* Director/Instructor Alliance Martial Arts Center Atlanta, GA
* Consultant/Instructor US Army Rangers Fort Bennings, GA (hand-to-hand combat)
* Founder/Referee Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation
* President Georgia State BJJ/Submission Wrestling Federation

Last March I snapped my femur with a 35 foot vertical fall snowboarding and it has been 7 months of training, working out, and strengthening my muscles and joints to hope I'm ready to get back out there. I have enough hardware in my left leg to set off metal detectors... and I'm just worried that as soon as I go back on the mats i'm going to seriously injure my knee and be bound to a wheelchair again!

After another month or two of fitness and strengthening I think I will try to join another BJJ gym!
-Chris

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #47
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Who is his son? How much does he weigh?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #48
2K5 325i
srsly *****'n!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007/8 TiAg 335i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Who is his son? How much does he weigh?
His nick-name is T, and I'm guessing he weighs around 180-ish. He's jacked. Hahahaha.

to his opponents!
-Chris

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #49
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Sao Brasileiros? Sim ou nao?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #50
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I trained Thai for about 5 years, 1 of the 5 was spent training one on one with my Kru, who was a pro with 45 fights (30 wins, x losses, x draws). I haven't trained in the last three years though. I loved the sport but it was starting to take a toll on my everything else in my life. It almost became an obsession being there 5 days a week. Now I just lift weights and do cardio to stay in shape. But nothing compares to Thai if you want to stay in top physical shape. I can still hit like a bull and my jaw is tough as nails but I'm no where near the shape I was in when I was fighting. I'm 5'8" and was 153lbs ripped (ultimate lowest fight weight). Now I'm 195lbs but with a lot more muscle bulk. I am still about 15lbs over weight. Oh well, whatch gonna do!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #51
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Switched my training to Gracie Barra since Sept 09.. Lost 17 lbs since then and put on some solid muscle. Most people wouldn't of said I was fat to begin with but I thought I had room to lose.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #52
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Trained muay Thai for 5 years and Pancrase & misc grappling arts for about 3.5 years. Fun stuff and I miss it. Since UFC got big, everyone jacked up their rates. Its ludicrous now but I still want to get back into it. Its hard to find friends to hold Thai pads for me.
      01-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #53
syhr
Rep
Drives: toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post

... snip snip snip ...

Any tips, ideas, motivational strategies any of you fellow fighters can offer? Doesn't neccesarily have to apply to MMA.
My $0.02 :-

Probably obvious but worth saying anyways ...
  • work on your basic techniques and know them backwards - it's no good trying to build upon weak foundations.
  • don't get fixated on any one technique - your the goal to destroy the opponent any way possible
  • learn your personal strengths and weaknesses (via randori, talking to training partners, sensei, etc); build on your strengths, eliminate your weaknesses.
  • work on chaining techniques together
  • understand the weakness of a technique, and what kind of technique you can easily switch to when your opponent exploits a weakness of the first technique
  • work on unconscious imprinting - you want to be able to switch techniques without thinking
  • work on your basic conditioning so you can endure your 2x 6 minute rounds without tiring (too much... ;-) ). ie train to be less tired than your opponent.
  • learn to feel your opponents’ strengths and weaknesses, keep him out of his areas of expertise.
  • don’t forget your mental game !
Hope this helps.

Last edited by syhr; 05-07-2010 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: cleanup
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #54
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

ive been doing bjj for about three months and know exactly what you are talking about. i went in with the goal of not getting tapped for the first two months. i wouldnt worry so much about beating the other guy as i would about surviving the fight. once you get the hang of that and know how to survive, offense becomes easier. also, replay all the rolls in your mind afterward. what did you do right or wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #55
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22Z View Post
ive been doing bjj for about three months and know exactly what you are talking about. i went in with the goal of not getting tapped for the first two months. i wouldnt worry so much about beating the other guy as i would about surviving the fight. once you get the hang of that and know how to survive, offense becomes easier. also, replay all the rolls in your mind afterward. what did you do right or wrong?
If you aren't getting tapped you aren't rolling with good enough people. In BJJ training getting tapped helps you improve. I feel when you are against people you are better than you can work on your weaknesses, put yourself in dangerous positions, and try new techniques. You can't be the hammer all the time.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #56
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Been training in Muay Thai for about 2 years under Saekson Janjira.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #57
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BJJ/MMA
son does BJJ/MMA/JUDO/TKD.
my son was in his first rournement this past weekend. NAGA. he got first in his divisions.
      02-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #58
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I wish I could get into MMA. Pretty sure I would go home pretty down after getting my ass kicked everyday though.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #59
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I appreciate the sport of MMA and I find it very entertaining and I'm intrigued by the different aspects of fighting used. I'm usually a fit person, I try to keep healthy and I wouldn't mind taking up an aspect of MMA, maybe boxing, karate, bbj, wrestling to help keep me fit and learn new techniques at the same time. I know this is completely new game though and the commitment and work rate is a lot higher than jumping on a treadmill, lifting weights and ab exercises and a bit of social sport. I have big respect for those that do MMA, it's a tough sport. Ot, I went to UFC 110 on the weekend though. Was awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #60
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Just a thought, coming from a ground fighter, I picked up western boxing and it's amazing. More difficult than anything i've done in BJJ, Judo, Scholastic wrestling, and Sambo. You need a really good BJJ instructor who makes you drill and focuses on technique, i've had some bad ones. As far as tips, I write down a lot of the submissions and takedowns and link them. For example:

From back control:
1) Hooks in
2) Rear Naked Choke
3) Set up to armbar

So basically if you have back control and you are attempting to choke your opponent out, but can't get the choke in deep, set up for an armbar from the same position. It's like a combo in boxing: 1-2 duck to your right, come back with a right hook followed by a left uppercut... they might see the hook coming, but not the body shot.

I sometimes close my eyes while rolling, this way i don't get baited when someone leaves an arm or leg for me.

Anyways pick up boxing, it is by far the most technical and difficult combat sport i've ever tried. I'm currently working on leg flexibility,hip flexibility, cutting weight, boxing, kicks, take downs and cardio, which would be good for any BJJ person. Seriously as dull as just punching may seem it is so much fun. Watch Roy Jones Jr or Prince Naseem fight it so cool. Tyson is a technical master and pacquiao is speed demon. Of course Ali is amazing and entertaining also. Muay thai should be learned after unless the instructor has a good boxing background.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #61
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
From back control:
1) Hooks in
2) Rear Naked Choke
3) Set up to armbar

So basically if you have back control and you are attempting to choke your opponent out, but can't get the choke in deep, set up for an armbar from the same position. It's like a combo in boxing: 1-2 duck to your right, come back with a right hook followed by a left uppercut... they might see the hook coming, but not the body shot.
linking moves together is the key, you can bait a guy with one move and transition right into something else. Another one that's effective is:

1. Armbar from guard
2. Omoplata
3. Armbar from side

If you've got somebody in your guard, try to get their right arm in an armbar from the bottom. They will probably be able to pull it out but then swing your right leg over their their left shoulder and move to omoplata their left arm. You should hold onto their pants or something to keep them from flipping over to get out of it. If for some reason they do manage to flip, you're still in the perfect position for an armbar from the side.
      02-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #62
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
i'm not arguing with you either just having a discussion. i agree with most of what you say above except that you omit one important fact. most street fighter have 10x more instinct than a formally trained fighter. and when you say that most streetfighters have no technigue or skill, i could not disagree with you more.
any streetfighter that gets off 10 punches and lands just 3 well then the fight is all over right there because to me that is the difference. a streetfighter will take a shot to give a shot and this attitude is what wins fights. you have to have that killer instinct and do what ever it takes to win. jmo, based on real world experience growing up.

lol, how do you propose we become proficient at "street fighting"? Join a fight club? Instinct is purely reaction time and muscle memory. You don't need to be out in the streets for that, you can train for it in the gym with another willing participant. I trained in Muay Thai for 2 years and did BJJ/Judo for a couple of month. I can tell you that it's a good idea to mix up your ground game with striking.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #63
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just watch videos on bjpenn.com and you'll be a black belt in no time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #64
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post

EDIT: A big convincing factor to me (I too felt a little apprehensive about MMA) is to search youtube for vids a MMA against my infamous "brawlers". Look at the vids of karate Blackbelts get owned by a blue belt BJJ. Very Very convincing and inspiring...
Maybe in a ring, but Ground Fighting is not only ineffective but dangerous in a real fight (read: Bar fight). Good solid stand up coupled with good instincts are whats needed in that situation. Get in, do damage, get the fuck out.

This come from 4 years of being a marine and fighting in marine bars, plus 10 years of Krav Maga, BJJ, Shotokan, and Kempo.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #65
syhr
Rep
Drives: toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Maybe in a ring, but Ground Fighting is not only ineffective but dangerous in a real fight (read: Bar fight). Good solid stand up coupled with good instincts are whats needed in that situation. Get in, do damage, get the fuck out.
+1, streetfight =/= groundfight.

Groundfighting is a sport which presumes rules, and a single opponent in unarmed combat. None of these presumptions apply in streetfighting.

In a streetfight, the last place you wanna be is tied to your opponent and lying on the ground (opponent); it limits your mobility and leaves you too open against multiple attackers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #66
fezz93
Rep
Drives: 335xi

There are lots of good opinions on this topic and I would like to share my 2 cents. My first MMA fight was in 1997 and I came from an Olympic freestyle background of 6 years then picked up Thai boxing and submission wrestling. I have been fortunate to have trained with some of the best guys; Josh Barnett (PRIDE, UFC, DREAM), Francisco Filho (K-1), Tsuyoshi Kohsaka(RINGS, PRIDE, UFC), Maurice Smith (K-1, UFC), Randy Couture, Frank Shamrock, to name a few.

This is a great sport and my comments are only observations that I have personally made and I do not profess to know it all. Observations would be:

-This is a sport, (have been in a bar fight where I mounted the guy and was kicked in the back of the head by the guys friend) night night time for me

-BJJ is not MMA,(I have found that it is much easier to submit someone that wants to be submitted because they don’t want to be hit anymore) Ex would be spin for the arm bar and clamp your legs tight and secure the arm with you arm closest to their body and then hammer fist the guy in the face with the arm closest to the head until he straightens his arm for you. You lose nothing by doing this because you have secured the arm bar position and expect them to escape and continue to counter.

-Don’t give up superior striking positioning in the attempts of a possible submission. Ex would be someone here had said that you take someone’s back with hooks in and cant sink in the choke and to then give up that superior position in the attempts of getting the arm bar (if you miss that arm bar you will be lucky to catch them back in you guard and if not lucky they will have side mount or half guard on you) I would suggest that you keep the back control and hit them until they worry more about being hit that getting choked. The very least it takes their wind away and limits their ability to breath. Fatigue makes cowards of us all

- I have trained at a lot of BJJ clubs that claim to be MMA, but they only teach sport BJJ and they commit both hands to an guard escapes and leave the face wide open, or side mount escapes that would leave you head crushed by elbows. The saying of make a BJJ black belt a brown belt by punching him in the face and keep hitting him until he is a white belt

-with respects to “brawlers” I would say that in most cases you cannot teach grit. You can settle people down with stress inoculation, but you just can’t teach someone to like being hit. Meaning that those guys in tough man contest who like to trade punches are a breed all of there own. Some guy’s look good hitting a bag or pads and the second they get in the ring their game falls apart because they are more worried about not getting hit then they are about winning the fight. There are guys with grit that have almost no training in the gym that beat better guys just because they dont know how to lose. I have much respect for the bangers in the sprort.

-gi is easier for most new people to pick up because the role is much slower and methodical. (very frustrating for wrestlers to be slowed down). No gi is more explosive and quick pace because it is harder to control the other person with nothing to hold on to and it is much easier to slip out of things.

-Strive to have no bad positions, Ex is start with the guy on your back both hooks in and the chock locked in and fight your way out. If you hate having a guy side mounted on you then always start with the person in that position until you figure it out.

-Have no ego and you should never care if you get tapped out, because it is just training. There is nothing worse then 2 guys who just stale mate for 5- 10 mins because they fear being tapped out. A good training session would be giving up positions and working out of the submissions. Ex do not just stop and reset after someone taps out, instead after they tap, the person should just release pressure and allow the person to work an escape and continue the role.

-most gyms start on the ground in BJJ and MMA classes and do not prepare people to be dumped hard, this is great for wrestlers in Pancrase/MMA, because we just slammed guys on there heads and even though we were not as good at BJJ we hit people until they didn’t want to fight anymore. Don’t get me wrong I have also been on the receiving end and it sucked.

These are just some observations and experiences that I have had and believe me there is a price to be paid for the realistic training, but it is an amazing feeling to stand in a ring and face a man who has trained to fight you. That guy feels that he is going to beat you as much as you believe that you will beat him. It is no weakling that stands in front of you and there is no room for bullies in this world because the bluff is called as soon as the bell rings.
Appreciate 0