M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #67
hayabusa55
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhr View Post
+1, streetfight =/= groundfight.

Groundfighting is a sport which presumes rules, and a single opponent in unarmed combat. None of these presumptions apply in streetfighting.

In a streetfight, the last place you wanna be is tied to your opponent and lying on the ground (opponent); it limits your mobility and leaves you too open against multiple attackers.
I agree for the most part. Ground game might be useful for a quick takedown and ground and pound, although that's purely theoretical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezz93 View Post
There are lots of good opinions on this topic and I would like to share my 2 cents. My first MMA fight was in 1997 and I came from an Olympic freestyle background of 6 years then picked up Thai boxing and submission wrestling. I have been fortunate to have trained with some of the best guys; Josh Barnett (PRIDE, UFC, DREAM), Francisco Filho (K-1), Tsuyoshi Kohsaka(RINGS, PRIDE, UFC), Maurice Smith (K-1, UFC), Randy Couture, Frank Shamrock, to name a few.
Name dropper.

Quote:
-This is a sport, (have been in a bar fight where I mounted the guy and was kicked in the back of the head by the guys friend) night night time for me
So much for my ground and pound idea, although one can get sucker punched in any position.

Quote:
- I have trained at a lot of BJJ clubs that claim to be MMA, but they only teach sport BJJ and they commit both hands to an guard escapes and leave the face wide open, or side mount escapes that would leave you head crushed by elbows. The saying of make a BJJ black belt a brown belt by punching him in the face and keep hitting him until he is a white belt
Interesting. The BJJ gym I've trained at definitely involved strikes. Another one I tried out did exactly what you said. I guess it's all about personal preference. Some people prefer sport BJJ.

Quote:
-with respects to “brawlers” I would say that in most cases you cannot teach grit. You can settle people down with stress inoculation, but you just can’t teach someone to like being hit. Meaning that those guys in tough man contest who like to trade punches are a breed all of there own.
Something I need to work on.

Quote:
Some guy’s look good hitting a bag or pads and the second they get in the ring their game falls apart because they are more worried about not getting hit then they are about winning the fight. There are guys with grit that have almost no training in the gym that beat better guys just because they dont know how to lose. I have much respect for the bangers in the sprort.
What's the secret? Keep getting hit until you're used to it? I don't want to end up looking like Mickey Rourke.

Quote:
-gi is easier for most new people to pick up because the role is much slower and methodical. (very frustrating for wrestlers to be slowed down). No gi is more explosive and quick pace because it is harder to control the other person with nothing to hold on to and it is much easier to slip out of things.
I've had the same experience. I don't like gi because it seems so unrealistic.

Quote:
-Have no ego and you should never care if you get tapped out, because it is just training. There is nothing worse then 2 guys who just stale mate for 5- 10 mins because they fear being tapped out. A good training session would be giving up positions and working out of the submissions. Ex do not just stop and reset after someone taps out, instead after they tap, the person should just release pressure and allow the person to work an escape and continue the role.
Great advice.

Quote:
These are just some observations and experiences that I have had and believe me there is a price to be paid for the realistic training, but it is an amazing feeling to stand in a ring and face a man who has trained to fight you. That guy feels that he is going to beat you as much as you believe that you will beat him. It is no weakling that stands in front of you and there is no room for bullies in this world because the bluff is called as soon as the bell rings.
Great post!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #68
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Maybe in a ring, but Ground Fighting is not only ineffective but dangerous in a real fight (read: Bar fight). Good solid stand up coupled with good instincts are whats needed in that situation. Get in, do damage, get the fuck out.

This come from 4 years of being a marine and fighting in marine bars, plus 10 years of Krav Maga, BJJ, Shotokan, and Kempo.
+1

...After my 20 years of martial arts experience...you are correct! MMA is BS in the street or a bar. What are you going to do in a bar...take me down and put me in the guard while my friend breaks a Bacardi bottle over your head? Not quite. MMA works best in arranged matches with rules. Real martial arts work best in quick, reactionary scenarios where there is a definitive attacker and a definitive defender.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #69
hayabusa55
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
+1

...After my 20 years of martial arts experience...you are correct! MMA is BS in the street or a bar. What are you going to do in a bar...take me down and put me in the guard while my friend breaks a Bacardi bottle over your head? Not quite. MMA works best in arranged matches with rules. Real martial arts work best in quick, reactionary scenarios where there is a definitive attacker and a definitive defender.
That's part of the reason I'm doing Muay Thai now. A well placed kick or knee can do wonders.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #70
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

I used to train Muay Thai and Kung Fu back when I was younger. I want to start training again someday soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #71
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I have trained muay thai for 7 years now....been down training in thailand a month every year as well

really love this sport....the lowkicks, knees and the elbowes are so effective....of course combined with great boxing skills.....it's really the boxing that opens for all other great techniques....i always defend/strikes with at least 3-4 techniques in a row...

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds

Last edited by Bomis; 04-17-2010 at 06:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #72
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I just came across this thread, sorry for the late comments.

I've laughed at a lot of what has been said about BJJ. All I can say is that for those of you who think BJJ isn't legit in a real fight - You have never fought a real Jiu Jitsu guy. LOL.

To all of you guys who train other arts; that's awesome! I wish I had time to learn other disciplines. Nothing but respect to each and every one of you!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #73
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
^ you train at Drac's?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #74
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I train with drac sometimes and under one of his black belts that live by me. I was just up by you for the Pan Am's - had a great time!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #75
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
+1

this makes no sense! MMA is a mix of martial arts, it not ground fighting.

04-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #76
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSaints View Post
I train with drac sometimes and under one of his black belts that live by me. I was just up by you for the Pan Am's - had a great time!
bunch of guys from my gym just went for Pan Am's...it's too soon for me, but I would have at least liked to go and watch. CT to CA is a haul though haha
      04-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #77
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

As far as street fighting is concerned all you really need is good boxing and wrestling skills. Stay on your feet, don't get taken down, and if you do get taken down have the ability to get right back up.

I started martial arts because my friend's dad was an instructor and two because my friends got into a lot of fights. And street fights are totally different, confined spaces, number of opponents, materials around you... You also don't have hand wraps, broken hand if not careful... However, it doesn't mean MMA, boxing, or BJJ can't help you or translate into street fighting self defense. It's sometimes not practical to use a certain style in a certain situation that's all. Also consider that MMA is probably the greatest for self defense since there are rules and just like MMA we have laws in the real world that determine whether you defended yourself and/or restrained the person or assaulted them even if they attacked you first. Legally it's better for you to KO someone then to armbar someone and snap an arm. You'd have a 50/50 chance of getting assault charges with a KO and almost definite charge with an arm snap even if you were hit first.

I've trained, Judo, BJJ, scholastic wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, and JKD. I loved BJJ until I was taught boxing. Boxing is just out of this world. Also learning how to disarm weapons along with good running shoes is also a good idea. Sometimes it's just better to run fast as hell. I remember doing JKD and the ground work, they use to tell us to gouge the eyes, pick up weapons, and do anything possible to stop your opponent, lol. Sounded good then...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #78
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

What kind of boxing gloves do you guys have? Just curious on my next purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #79
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
What kind of boxing gloves do you guys have? Just curious on my next purchase.
I love my Fairtex stuff. I know it's like the Nike of Muay Thai gear, but I've never had a problem with the quality of anything from them.
      04-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #80
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Winning, Cleto Reyes, Rival, and Hayabusa. Winning are amazing gloves no matter what, but are even better if you've injured your hands or are prone to injury. Cleto reyes, the mexican ones are really nice, the fight gloves have less padding, puncher's glove... Rival is my favorite, all my gear is rival, all around great and not as pricey as the other top brands mentioned. The mma people swear by Hayabusa gloves, they are very nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #81
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

TWINS....

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #82
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Don't forget to watch WEC this weekend! My boy Anthony Njokuani will be fighting in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #83
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
Don't forget to watch WEC this weekend! My boy Anthony Njokuani will be fighting in it.
buffalo wild wings sat night dude.
      04-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #84
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
How old are the majority of you guys training? How old is too late to start, not to be competitive but to just stay in shape and learn? I have taken some kick boxing lessons in the past from a private teacher, but nothing organized. I love watching UFC and WEC and have gone to a few local events now that it has been legalized in PA.
      04-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #85
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
How old are the majority of you guys training? How old is too late to start, not to be competitive but to just stay in shape and learn? I have taken some kick boxing lessons in the past from a private teacher, but nothing organized. I love watching UFC and WEC and have gone to a few local events now that it has been legalized in PA.
and you? there are a couple guys older then me that just started training too.
      04-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #86
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Several years now in MT!

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #87
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

Fezz93 you must have also trained with Matt Hume, Trevor Jackson, Ivan S and maybe Luis? They all used to train together.
      04-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #88
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Its never to late to start training....im 36 now so for me its just for fun and stay in shape i'll guess...

Appreciate 0