M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #155
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
I've been training jiu jitsu for about 3 years now. I love it, it's a great way to stay in shape and it gives me a great mindset for approaching conflict in everyday life. not to mention it's one of the most proven self defense systems out there.

I live in Atlanta and train at Tiger Academy of Martial Arts in Roswell. If anyone is new to jiu jitsu and wants to come check out a class, just let me know. Or if anyone from other schools in the area want to come up and roll, we do allow students from outside to come in to roll, as long as you are not a jerk on the mat looking to hurt someone.

Some schools teach jiu jitsu as a competitive sport for tournaments, others as part of MMA training. At Tiger Academy we learn jiu jitsu as a self defense system as designed by Helio Gracie. Our school is the official representative for Gracie Academy in the Atlanta area. Our head instructor Eddie Camden is a black belt under Pedro Sauer who is himself a black belt under Rickson Gracie. We regularly have members of the Gracie family come to the academy to give master cycle seminars, including Royce, Rickson, Ryron and Rener. Helio Gracie himself came to our school about a year before he passed away. So if you want to train jiu jitsu the way the Gracies intended for people to train, definitely check out Tiger Academy in Atlanta
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #156
Rocafella
Rep
Drives: 2Fast4U

Alright so my first post :P but i personally do BJJ, and i love it and my advice for you is to clear your mind before starting and just do what comes too your head, work with your opponents body not against and it definitely works to your advantage good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #157
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post
What are you talking about? The idea behind MMA, BJJ, Muy Thai is that its for real world street fighting. I promise you, that everything is real inside a cage with padded gloves on.
+100000

At my Academy, they teach BBJ, Capoeira, Filipino Martial Arts, Jun Fan Gung Fu, MMA, Muay Thai, Savate, USA Boxing, and Wing Chun Kung Fu. And I promise you, with full sparring gear on, its nothing short of a street fight scenario... Ask a MMA guy to "fight for real in the streets" and he will destroy you...

I study Jun Fan Gung Fu (also known as Jeet Kune Do; Bruce Lee's method to martial arts), as well as Wing Chun Kung Fu, and both are for "street fighting".

Karate and Tae Kwon Do is all commercialized. Tho it may be effective, its more for being "flashy" and scoring points in a tournament...

OP do what I do. When in class, if you can't clear your head, and feel your not in your zone, take your time to make sure you are doing the forms correctly. Even if you take a loss, next time around you may get the upper hand because you are strengthening your technique, rather then just worrying about winning all the time. I see white belts/sash's come in all the time, and try to hit and swing their hardest to try to impress somebody. They don't realize technique and form are more important then hitting as hard as you can. If you know HOW to, and WHEN to, and WHERE to strike, not much force is needed...

edit: I know this is an old thread, but maybe it will come back to life... I never even checked out the off topic section, so this is new to me

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #158
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Saw this thread and has to post!

haven't trained in a while, Marines keep me busy. I started at 14, in 2000, and trained regularly till I was 18 in: BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, JKD, Kali, and CSW.

Then since being in I've tried to find people to train with since it was nearly impossible to train at a facility for my first 5 years in. I've participated in a few fights as well (amateur of course), 8-3 is my record so far; not bad for barely training... lol. Most time I've had to prepare was about a month and that was just twice I had that much time; that little amount of time was rough on the body :\

I've taught a handful of people for fun and plan on continuing to train and eventually teach when i get out. Maybe continue to fight as well; we'll see, since I was injured earlier this year and still am.

So... from my experience, just feel. You should be able to grapple with your eyes closed in a non-hostile environment. I'm not saying close them, but instead of looking for everything, overloading your mind with what you see, feel where the other person is, realize what can happen if he catches you in this or that position.... plan 2,3, 4...6 steps ahead. It's like chess, but your limbs and neck are at risk, not wooden pawns.

You have to get beat to get better... that's just how it works. So look at it like this: Every time you get tapped out, do you know why it happened?
How it happened?
What you could of done to prevent it?

If you can take something away from it, as a learning experience, do you think you can recognize that submission coming next time? If so, then that's one more thing that will feel second nature.

My first year in BJJ I literally was tapped out all the time or completely dominated. I was 14 years old and 140 lbs. By 15, I was only 145 lbs, but I was tapping out guys 40-60 lbs heavier than me. I learned a lot from getting my ass kicked... showed me patience and that strength isn't everything; it's setting the trap... you learn how people set the trap on you, or by watching others grapple, you will become mentally and physically stronger.

I've always believe grappling is 90% mental.

If you are too cocky, you will probably get caught when you least expect it.

If you're too scared, you will sit like a ball or always get caught.

You observe, plan, attempt to execute.. and take risks when your chance of success is more than 50%... you will learn a lot more.

Don't be afraid to be defensive, protect yourself, use their submission attempts against them. Watch them plan, let them plan, let them reach for the submission... then spin out, escape, or whatever you need to do to prevent and take advantage of their short moment of vulnerability.

Now, I excelled quickly, but I literally lived at the MMA school as a teenager. 5-6 days a week, getting my ass handed to me... but in the end, it paid off. I haven't trained under than instructor for 7 years and the only people I've every struggled with are the people I've lost to in my fights.

Point being, I think about my moves in my head all the time. what can I do to prevent this? what can I do to improve that? If this happens, what will I do? So on and so forth.

I'd also recommend learning some wrestling. Take downs are like no other and they are strong and powerful. It will also build your base extremely strong.

------------------------

As Alpine said... old thread... but good advice is good advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #159
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

I been studying New Union JJ under Robson Moura for over a year now. Brilliant way to stay in shape and learn Gi/No-Gi techniques which can be applies in real world situations. My current striking coach is Sensei Apache Collins, Miguel Torres's old MT coach.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #160
bmwe34m5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Whiteboy View Post
+100000

At my Academy, they teach BBJ, Capoeira, Filipino Martial Arts, Jun Fan Gung Fu, MMA, Muay Thai, Savate, USA Boxing, and Wing Chun Kung Fu. And I promise you, with full sparring gear on, its nothing short of a street fight scenario... Ask a MMA guy to "fight for real in the streets" and he will destroy you...

I study Jun Fan Gung Fu (also known as Jeet Kune Do; Bruce Lee's method to martial arts), as well as Wing Chun Kung Fu, and both are for "street fighting".

Karate and Tae Kwon Do is all commercialized. Tho it may be effective, its more for being "flashy" and scoring points in a tournament...

OP do what I do. When in class, if you can't clear your head, and feel your not in your zone, take your time to make sure you are doing the forms correctly. Even if you take a loss, next time around you may get the upper hand because you are strengthening your technique, rather then just worrying about winning all the time. I see white belts/sash's come in all the time, and try to hit and swing their hardest to try to impress somebody. They don't realize technique and form are more important then hitting as hard as you can. If you know HOW to, and WHEN to, and WHERE to strike, not much force is needed...

edit: I know this is an old thread, but maybe it will come back to life... I never even checked out the off topic section, so this is new to me
I think Wing Chun is the best street fighting system around. Have you checked out the Ip Man movies? I studied with Yip Man's nephew many years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #161
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe34m5 View Post
I think Wing Chun is the best street fighting system around. Have you checked out the Ip Man movies? I studied with Yip Man's nephew many years ago.
I LOVE the Ip Man movies. Donnie Yen is an absolute BEAST. Wing Chun is very useful in street fighting, but I actually believe JKD is even better. Read up on Jeet Kune Do, or Jun Fan Gung Fu. It is very interesting. Bruce Lee was a MMA genius. It is sad he left us so early, for I would have loved to see what he would have evolved into these past 30 years. His good friend, and top student, Dan Inosanto, was my Sifu's teacher.

Do you still train?

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #162
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

I trained for two years in combative mixed martial arts which included close quarter combat, lotar, krav maga, jiu jitsu, kali and weapons training including firearms, knives, swords, sticks and disarms.

I don't know if I qualify as a "fighter" as most "fighters" train with some sort of rules in mind pertaining to competition. I have no desire to compete or climb into a cage. I guess I enjoy watching UFC just as much as the next person but it's not like I follow it very closely.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #163
alexdc2t
Honda Junkie
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I wanted to bring this thread back to life and see who all currently trains what!

I currently train brazilian jiu jitsu under 4th degree black belt Mario Roberto in Mn. I currently have a blue belt in it and its one of the best things ive tried yet. It is literally, human chess. Makes you focus, think, and not worry so much about strength and size.

I used to do muay thai, but due to my work schedule, that is impossible now.

Anyways, id love to see if anyone else trains martial arts around here!
      09-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #164
BJJTune
Faixa Roxa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i JB4 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113 View Post
For the past 2 months or so I have been taking classes at a MMA (mixed martial arts) school. They offer BJJ (with and without GI), MMA, and Muy Thai. I must say that I took the first class feeling good ( I weighed 225lbs and have always been a gymrat) and left that same day a VERY humble person.

I'm at 215lbs, leaner, and quicker than I was 2 months ago. I have been favoring BJJ with Gi. I will take 2 classes of it twice a week, and if I have time I'll go to one of the No-Gi classes. I have taken a few private elssons, along with attending a few Open Mat sessions on the weekend.

Although I feel I have been progressing, I can't seem to think that I'm learning fast enough.

Yesterday was a bad class (in my mind). During two "6 minute" rolls with other students, I was tapped 5 times. Any attempt at passing guard resulted in a quick submission on my part. There are times that I feel good and confident, and there are times like these that I leave soo angry I cannot get the thought out of my head.

Any tips, ideas, motivational strategies any of you fellow fighters can offer? Doesn't neccesarily have to apply to MMA.

I've been a purple belt in BJJ for over two years now.. I know it's not exactly fun but the more you're getting tapped, the more you're learning! Roll with everyone in the class and put yourself in bad positions to better learn the sweeps, escapes, counters. Its the best sport in the world IMO and once people notice your banged up ears you probably won't even have to fight lmao.

Awaiting Install: HPF "Gen 2" Exhaust, BMS Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #165
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJTune View Post
I've been a purple belt in BJJ for over two years now.. I know it's not exactly fun but the more you're getting tapped, the more you're learning! Roll with everyone in the class and put yourself in bad positions to better learn the sweeps, escapes, counters. Its the best sport in the world IMO and once people notice your banged up ears you probably won't even have to fight lmao.
Word.. BJJ Purple Belt right here .. going for brown real soon.. started with Vitor Shaolin bjj .. Currently Rolling With Renzo's 2nd Degree Black Belt students... Love it ..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #166
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Used to do BJJ. Then this happened:

Was on bottom, attempted a gogoplata when my partner rolled his weight across my body right before he was about to tap. Snapped my femur like a baseball bat. And yes, it hurt A LOT.

Now I'm part titanium.

Quote:
Any tips, ideas, motivational strategies any of you fellow fighters can offer?
BJJ is more mental than anything. Watch some of the Marcelo Garcia instructional videos. That guy knows his omaplata better than anyone I've seen. Watch some of the other videos, get different techniques to try. Always have a bag of tricks. If one sweep doesn't work, make sure you know 2 or 3 others. If you keep getting tapped by one move, learn the counter and the flow from the scramble.
      05-09-2014, 03:45 AM   #167
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

how do guys manage your aggression in the ring? I used to take Karate and spar quite often, but i've switched things up to Thai Boxing and i can't seem to find that aggression needed for the sport. Everytime i spar, i'm worried that i'd hurt the other person and end up just defending or getting my ass handed to me in a corner. I'm thinking i'm just too inexperienced and need to spar more in the ring?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #168
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
Cool thread. I have been fighting for 6 years. Have not won them all but pretty happy overall.

Wrestled first, then boxed a bit, picked up BJJ a few years back. Currently a brown belt.

MMA is a crazy sport of highs and lows.

BJJ is very tame and easier on the body.

Love them both!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #169
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

It's nice to see a wide range of disciplines here.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #170
666*335*i*666
Rep
Drives: e90 335i spacegrey VMR rims

My first post here, might as well make it here.

I've been kick/thaiboxing for over 14 years now. Did about 20 amateur fights when I was younger, won some, lost some.
Now I am learning bjj/grappling, did 2 bjj and 1 grappling tournaments but still have to win my first fight. I suck
Appreciate 0