Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Drivetrain Malfunction .... AGAIN.

Third time this is happening. Car has been to the dealer twice because of this, first time, cleared codes (misfiring cylinder), attempted to replicate issue - no luck. Second time, misfiring cylinder again, cleared codes replaced two coil packs, gave me the car back. This month the car hasn't been out much due to bad weather, maybe took it out twice. Today I take the car out happens again. I am considering pursuing the lemon law. I spoke with BMW customer care, they advised me to bring the car back to service and they they will be in contact with both the dealer and myself to resolve this issue. But my issue is, the car has ~1600 miles and this is now the 3rd time. I am paying near $1500 for the car to be in the shop every 2 weeks? This is absurd.

Side story.
As I was dropping my M5 off just a little while ago, I joke with the guy doing the loaner car paper work by saying "Are you guys going to give me a nice car, or what?" His response back, "I was told to give you a 328" - now, nothing against the 328, the new f30s are fantastic cars but this individual was SPECIFICALLY told to give me a 328 by his service manager..? I continued to ask him why is this and he told me "because you didn't purchase the M5 from us" At this point I wanted to get back in my M5 and leave but I calmed down asked if this said service manager was in and he was not. I asked if he would be there tomorrow and was told probably for 10 minutes or so. The guy saw I was a bit bothered by all of this and told me he would give me another loaner to not worry about it. And he did end up giving me another loaner. This does annoy me quite a bit, not only has this dealer NOT been able to fix my vehicle properly but now they are purposely giving me their weakest loaner? Like i said previously I have nothing against the 328 and last time I took my M5 for this issue I had also gotten a 328 but the fact this guy took the time out of his day to make sure I got a 328 when they had numerous other loaners available is a bit degrading in my opinion.

I congratulate the people who have read all of this. This was my rant. Helped me blow a little bit of steam. Now, if you guys could give me some input it would be greatly appreciated. Both on the M5 and how i should go about the situation, and what i should do regarding this lovely service manager who requested an owner of an M5 should get a 328 "because he did not purchase the car from us".

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
From a business prospective it makes sense assuming you did not recently move to the area. Just my 2 cents.
Dealers make less money on warranty work than walk in customers. So... If you buy a car from dealer X and ask Y to service it and you owned the business what would you do? Give the better loaner/demo (limited supply) to your own customer or the guy who bought elsewhere?
A friend who owned a dealership once told me, " Your buying the relationship he car is free."
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
My last loaner was a 128, so consider yourself lucky.

Sucks about the drivetrain issue. Keep us posted on the resolution. I don't recall hearing about this issue elsewhere on the board, so perhaps it's an isolated problem - not that that helps you any :-/
      03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks you for the replies. I will most definitely keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
From a business prospective it makes sense assuming you did not recently move to the area. Just my 2 cents.
Dealers make less money on warranty work than walk in customers. So... If you buy a car from dealer X and ask Y to service it and you owned the business what would you do? Give the better loaner/demo (limited supply) to your own customer or the guy who bought elsewhere?
A friend who owned a dealership once told me, " Your buying the relationship he car is free."
I have purchased cars from this dealership in the past, I completely understand they should treat their own customers better, but singling me out and telling them to give me a 328 was a bit harsh. I wouldn't have minded driving out of there in a fiat 500 like another m5 owner on this board, but the fact I was singled out like that for that reasoning is what got to me. Trust me, I am grateful BMW even does this. Not every car company gives you a loaner. And I understand all of that. Now building a relationship COULD also start in the service department. For example going into the show room while waiting for my car or whatever the case may be. But stunts like this will not earn future business of mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Dealers make far more $ on service then they do on car sales, especially new car sales. If the dealer does not appreciate the revenue they earn from your patronage then take it to another dealer for service.

btw..This is EXACTLY the talk that I would have with the GM of the current dealer prior to doing anything else. A quick mention to BMW NA when you call to inquire about their involvement in your car usually prompts a little action too.

I would be outraged myself for exactly the same reason you were. Utter disrespect. Just know that you will get the porter fired. Funny how the service mgr is ditching you. You should have asked "which 10 minutes?" and then told them you would see them then. And then I would show up a few minutes early as he was trying to rush the heck out of there-lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Is it the only BMW dealer within a certain distance? If so, I am not surprised at all as they probably think they don't have competitions. My experiences with BMW dealers are they can be so different from one to another. Back in 08, where I bought my M3 originally, treated me like I bought a $2000 used car so I left to another dealer and never looked back. You probably want to see another dealer if possible in the future.

As for the issues with the car, I hope BMW sorts it out properly for you asap. Good luck.
      03-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

you're going have to tell us which dealer this is. The 328 story bothers me. At my dealer, I can ask and request for any car that's available as a loaner. It is a direct low blow to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

I've been through a very similar experience with my F10 550i. Not all BMW Service Centers are the same. Some do excellent work, while others are mediocre to terrible! Dean, you did the right thing by contacting BMW Customer Care! They will work with your dealership to diagnose and repair the issue. Give them a chance!! If the time duration becomes unacceptable, they will provide some form of compensation from making payments, extending warranty, and yes even a Buyback!

Research your local dealerships and see who has the highest ranked service department. Also make sure your service advisor knows you have an open case with Customer Care. My 2011 550i xDrive was in the shop for over 14 weeks awaiting parts, etc. and after 6 dealer visits BMW did the right thing! I stand behind a company that stands behind their product!

Now regarding the loaner car issue. The policy varies from dealership to dealership. I purchased my car in New Jersey but reside in the DC Metro Area, and trust me there's peaks and valleys! Some dealerships only provide loaners for scheduled factory maintenance while others give you a loaner for any service. During my dilemma the COE dealership who was able to finally diagnose and address the issue had me in various vehicles from a 328xi, 335d, and a X5 5.0. I have a great relationship with my service advisor Mel who had made my BMW ownership experience a great one!

If BMW ever puts xDrive on an M5, it will be my new ride, no jive! :-)
      03-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Sorry about the loaner issue, that's some bullsh!t. I would call HQ and complain

I would also invoke lemon law and go for LCI update and order individual options.

I would do this at a 3rd dealer which are none of those two and make then both give you better loaners later upon service

My thoughts,
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Every person that walks through that door can be a customer or future customer. Maybe there is a reason people don't buy at their local dealers? Maybe the local dealers should look at themselves and realize most BMW owners are not one time owners. They are repeat customers and down the road will probably need another car. Why not make their experience the best and get them as a net new customer. People buy from people not companies. Disappointing to see how short sided these people can be
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Is it the only BMW dealer within a certain distance? If so, I am not surprised at all as they probably think they don't have competitions. My experiences with BMW dealers are they can be so different from one to another. Back in 08, where I bought my M3 originally, treated me like I bought a $2000 used car so I left to another dealer and never looked back. You probably want to see another dealer if possible in the future.

As for the issues with the car, I hope BMW sorts it out properly for you asap. Good luck.
This. There are 3 BMW Service centers within a decent radius from my residence and they have all differed in terms of treatment from service/sales perspective. I chose one that treats me like a king every time I visit my SA for service/warranty work, even though both of my new BMWs weren't purchased from there.

Every time I need a loaner they produce a list of all the BMW loaners available on paper and let me choose which one I want. Needless to say, they have two 7-series but seems to be always out when I ask for those.

I think it all boils down to basic business relationships - get on the good side of your SA provided that he's not a douchebag and get them to like you and treat them with respect. I guarantee they will like you back - there's a reason why they have the BMW NA customer satisfaction surveys - these guys' jobs are tied to 5-star ratings. My 2 cents.
      03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Start the Lemon law process.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I am going to initiate the Lemon Law process. I feel the issue isn't being given the amount of attention it should. Maybe I am just being a little impatient. Once I send out the letter to BMW of North America and the receive they have one final attempt to fix it (10 calendar days). Maybe then they will speed up the process a bit? I find it unfair on my end paying near $1500 lease payment on the car that has been to the service department 3 times before even reaching 2000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I would expect like for like, my dealer would do there best to get me a n M5, however as said you did not purchase from this dealer so............ take what you can get and get in touch with customer services and express your conserns, these cars lose lots of money per month, this you can not recover.
Compensation is the way to go IMO.
      03-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
1. Pursue the lemon law course of action. Also, try taking it to another BMW service center that is not in your area. Yep, it sucks having to go out of your way for something like this, but another service center may have dealt with a similar issue and may be able to permanently fix it.

2. Seems suspect the service guy didn't give you the manager's name. If he did give you the name, then you have a F2F conversation with the manager. In my experience, people who go out of their way to have a negative impact seem to change their tune when respectfully confronted. If that gets you nowhere, then I would write the owner of the franchise a letter or email and copy BMW NA.

3. For what it's worth, I didn't buy from the BMW right around the corner from me b/c when I went in there to inquire about purchasing a M5, not one sales person came over to speak to me after the receptionist called 3 times for a SA and I was there for 20 minutes. I take my car over there for service (my service guy is great), but I bought it from another dealer 20 minutes away. My service guy told me to drive over to the sales department (service center and sales are across the street from one another) and give them the finger...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I would expect like for like, my dealer would do there best to get me a n M5, however as said you did not purchase from this dealer so............ take what you can get and get in touch with customer services and express your conserns, these cars lose lots of money per month, this you can not recover.
Compensation is the way to go IMO.
NO dealership is giving you an M5 for a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Yea since when are M5's loaned out? I can see under extenuating circumstances that they give u a dealer car as a show of good faith. For the mosst part im not expecting much more than a 3 series. As long as its a BMW im pretty satisfied.
      03-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine will sorry.
PS) I have a loaner coming next month for 4 days FREE to try. M5 2013 model new.
      03-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

It may be different in the UK, but in the US, you will be heard pressed to find a M% in a dealers loaner inventory.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

I think most of you are being slightly unreasonable! Anything made from man can have fault, including our cars! You do realize you took a chance when buying the 1st model year of the F10 M5, so at least try to allow BMW to address the issue! Has a Regional Service Rep worked with your dealership's Master Mechanic to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue? Understand that if parts have to come from Germany, it will take time for them to arrive! Also BMW engineers in Germany are getting details about your malfunction and providing instructions on how to repair your vehicle. This way if other M5 owners experience the same fault code, it can be quickly addressed.

Begin the Lemon-Law process if you feel this issue has inconvenienced you to the point where the manufacturer cannot provide you a safe and working vehicle. Have they repaired the issue and it's still showing fault codes? Has the car been out of service for a long duration of time? BMW would rather buy an M5 back from you than have it loose 1/2 it's resale value as a salvage title! Also, thoughts of getting the deal of the century through a Buyback and your car has been out of service for a week is a dream induced by PCP or LSD!

Give them a chance to fix the car, if they can't then work with your dealership to provide some resolution!

Good luck and patience is truly a virtue!

Will
      03-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It may be different in the UK, but in the US, you will be heard pressed to find a M% in a dealers loaner inventory.
My dealer has got this car in from BMW UK for me. They as you say do not carry this type of car for loaners.
They do put themselves out for me though, good customer.......... yes
      03-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
I think most of you are being slightly unreasonable! Anything made from man can have fault, including our cars! You do realize you took a chance when buying the 1st model year of the F10 M5, so at least try to allow BMW to address the issue!
Just wanted to correct something, 2013 Model is the second year for the F10 M5. 2012 MY M5 is the first year although that model was only released in Europe and probably Canada for North America. BMW should already have enough data to have fixed most major bugs. So far, my 2013 M5 has had no problems ("knock on wood") and hope do not get any. I have already 3100+ miles on the odometer having driven the major portion during ED. I have not driven much here in the Northeast due to the snowy weather and having summer tires. I have only driven it on weekends when there is no snow. Hopefully with Spring coming, I get to drive it more.