M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Exclamation Drivetrain. Maximum power not available. Drive moderately. (F10 M5)

My car has 750 km on it and the error message "Drivetrain. Maximum power not available. Drive moderately." happened twice now.

First time was at 7 km, I took it out of dealership into the gas station, filled fuel and got this message. I called the salesperson and he said it's probably due to bad fuel (even though it was a premium 98, best one). I switched the car off and back on, it disappeared.

The second time it happened was an hour ago. I was driving at 150 km/h stable, fuel was at about 25% (no warning lights) and suddently the warning message comes up asking me to drive moderately. I stopped on the roadside and while I was in neutral checking the control message, I sensed a lot of shaking in the vehicle, as if it was struggling or choaking. In hopes that switching it off/on would help - it didn't. Then I turned it off completely, locked doors, came back in - the warning message was still on, but the "shaking" of the car was gone. I was pretty angry to the point that babying the car gave me these issues on top of some strange "bung" sound from the trunk that comes every time I slowly pass a speed-up - all these made me angry to the point that I drove off with the message exactly as it advised me "drive moderately". After about 10 minutes of driving it disappeared.

I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow to have this checked up, along with the annoying "bung" noise from an empty trunk (empty car) when driving gently, as if I'm carrying a metal baseball bat in my trunk. I'll update the topic as soon as there's an answer, I'm sure these error messages are logged along with reasons that caused them.

My M6 E63 never had anything like this in its 40000 km, I hope these machines have more than a pretty face because durability and build quality are becoming a question to me already.

On a side-note, what's the best way to keep the small holes in ventilated seats clean of dust? I saw something small went in one of the holes today and I couldn't take it out. How are these designed to be kept clean? Hopefully it has more to it than pushing dirt inside the seat to make it look clean (car vacuum cleaner won't take them out and a stronger vacuum cleaner would suck the leather and leave a visible defect).

Looks like some ugly issue affecting 535/550s too:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478030
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553507

Last edited by singularity; 02-28-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Yikes.. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Wow, this is bad. I'd be following this thread. BTW, I had similar issue on my e92 335. Car got towed and it was fuel pump issue with N54 engine that got replaced....

Good luck!
      02-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
savarona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430, M5, 3.0cs, e91

I had it to. I was told It was an error in the air mass meter. But never happened again. Car has 600 km.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savarona View Post
I had it to. I was told It was an error in the air mass meter. But never happened again. Car has 600 km.
Whatever it is, it's definitely a factory flaw carried over from 5 series. I'm going to take the car to service right now. Maybe you should do the same? I'll keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

First time was at 7 km, I took it out of dealership into the gas station, filled fuel and got this message. I called the salesperson and he said it's probably due to bad fuel (even though it was a premium 98, best one). I switched the car off and back on, it disappeared.

Never ask the salesman, they know nothing about the cars
Always speak to the head of car maintenance at the dealership.
      02-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
AM47
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5,X5M

Quote:
My car has 750 km on it and the error message "Drivetrain. Maximum power not available. Drive moderately." happened twice now.
That happened to my wife's X5M 2011. The break in period was done properly mainly because I was too busy with work and she normally drives around town. However when I got a hold of it on a back road and put the pedal down it went into safe mode I don't remember the exact wording, was a year ago. I stopped switched the car off, the warning reset itself. I then put the gear selector to manual mode instead of drive performed the same function using the paddle shift and it did the same thing. We took it to the local dealer and they said it was a misfire in one of the cylinders and it went in to safe mode to protect itself from damage.

Subsequent to this we also had weird sounds coming from the car. We eventually, under warranty had the NAV system and CPU replaced. The brakes were also replaced under a BMW technical ticket. Since all of this the car has been great I guess we got one of the Monday cars.....

I hope this gives you some insight as the M5 shares some similar components to the X5M.
I am sure BMW will sort your car out, it is frustrating we went through it with the X5M but at least you have your F10 M5. In Canada we are still on an allocation list and can't even order it yet. I cant wait till I can order my M5
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM47 View Post
That happened to my wife's X5M 2011. The break in period was done properly mainly because I was too busy with work and she normally drives around town. However when I got a hold of it on a back road and put the pedal down it went into safe mode I don't remember the exact wording, was a year ago. I stopped switched the car off, the warning reset itself. I then put the gear selector to manual mode instead of drive performed the same function using the paddle shift and it did the same thing. We took it to the local dealer and they said it was a misfire in one of the cylinders and it went in to safe mode to protect itself from damage.

Subsequent to this we also had weird sounds coming from the car. We eventually, under warranty had the NAV system and CPU replaced. The brakes were also replaced under a BMW technical ticket. Since all of this the car has been great I guess we got one of the Monday cars.....

I hope this gives you some insight as the M5 shares some similar components to the X5M.
I am sure BMW will sort your car out, it is frustrating we went through it with the X5M but at least you have your F10 M5. In Canada we are still on an allocation list and can't even order it yet. I cant wait till I can order my M5
you should be able to order f10 m5 in canada 2 weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
AM47
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5,X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0412 View Post
you should be able to order f10 m5 in canada 2 weeks ago
Not at our dealer I put deposit down to reserve an allocation spot in December as of last Friday still no final pricing on car or accessories, still can not place final factory order. The dealer says BMW Canada finalising whatever they do.........
Have you ordered yours or just reserved it ?

I don't mean to thread jack singularity......

Last edited by AM47; 02-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: wrong name
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

It'll get fixed. There is going to be a few bumps in the road on things so just gotta be patient.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM47 View Post
Not at our dealer I put deposit down to reserve an allocation spot in December as of last Friday still no final pricing on car or accessories, still can not place final factory order. The dealer says BMW Canada finalising whatever they do.........
Have you ordered yours or just reserved it ?

I don't mean to thread jack singularity......
Post it up as a seperate thread once you get the pricing. I thought it wasnt gonna be released till April.

I am gonna go see the Frozen Silver car tomorrow morning here in Edmonton, hopefully I can get into the car and see the interior fit and finish too.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
singularity
Driver
Rep

Back from the service, left the car there because there was some "loose metal" sound coming from the trunk when passing speedbumps.

They said there were 2 errors both related to a "bad explosion" in the combustion chamber. They recommended changing the petrol station and use Shell V-Power 95. Somehow having seen so many complaints from F10 5 series and now Ms I doubt it's because of petrol, but this was my story. Time will tell, if this repeats I'll update more about this issue. Hopefully it was exactly what they said it was and not a defect of "first year vehicles".

Thanks for your input and advises guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Any update from dealer on this?

That 95 octane recommendation to avoid this problem worries me. In California we only have 91 octane!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post

That 95 octane recommendation to avoid this problem worries me. In California we only have 91 octane!
Sorry, not much of an update yet. But the manual recommends 98, and minimum is 95.

As for the error, they just said that it's most likely because of bad petrol and an error in the combustion chamber caused it. The car is still (3rd day now) in the service because there's some bad sound coming from rear-right and they haven't been able to figure out what the issue is. They suspect it's shock absorbers. They swapped positions from right to left but didn't test it yet. If they test and it's confirmed to be a defective (wtf?) shock absorber from factory then they will replace it.

So far from delivery I've had following problems:
- Scratches in windshield. New one was delivered today but hasn't been installed.
- Scratch on rear-right fender. Repainted the rear-right fender under warranty (now I gotta prove when reselling that this was just a scratch and not an accident).
- Two drivetrain errors, first being at 7 km. After the second error the car was choking and shaking until I turned it off.
- Bad loose sound from rear-right that BMW service can't identify for 2 days now and suspect it's the shock absorber.

I always thought that if replaced, shock absorbers must be done in pair, not single ones. If so I'll make sure they replace both under warranty and not just one. Does anyone know about this?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post

95 in the UK is = 91 in the US. A lot of countries use different octane ratings methods. The US doesn't typically get above 91 though, so the minimum octane rating is also the highest possible where as in the UK, you can easily find 98 (94 US) octane petrol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5Canuck View Post
95 in the UK is = 91 in the US. A lot of countries use different octane ratings methods. The US doesn't typically get above 91 though, so the minimum octane rating is also the highest possible where as in the UK, you can easily find 98 (94 US) octane petrol
Correct, in most of Europe the pump shows RON
In the USA the pump shows PON which is (RON+MON)/2

The 98 recommendation is RON
      03-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
uofmiami
Rep
Drives: 2013 MB E63 w/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5Canuck View Post
Here in New York & other states in the East, Super is 93 octane. Western US only gets 91 octane for Super. So much for uniformity with gasoline in the USA

As for the OP, did they fix that metallic baseball bat sound yet & was it the shock as they thought at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmiami View Post
Here in New York & other states in the East, Super is 93 octane. Western US only gets 91 octane for Super. So much for uniformity with gasoline in the USA

As for the OP, did they fix that metallic baseball bat sound yet & was it the shock as they thought at the dealer?
Not yet, I'm waiting for delivery of a new pair of shock absorbers. The sound persists on rough roads, when the wheel falls in a pit and even on rough pavement roads. The sound is something like a loose (big wrench or baseball bat) in the trunk, it does seem to be much less when suspension is set to Sport Plus.

I'll write it here as soon as I have some news:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656996
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Whatever became of the "Fuel System" issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #20
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCokeOfEvil
Whatever became of the "Fuel System" issue?
Software update fixed it apparently
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
On a side-note, what's the best way to keep the small holes in ventilated seats clean of dust? I saw something small went in one of the holes today and I couldn't take it out. How are these designed to be kept clean? Hopefully it has more to it than pushing dirt inside the seat to make it look clean (car vacuum cleaner won't take them out and a stronger vacuum cleaner would suck the leather and leave a visible defect).

Looks like some ugly issue affecting 535/550s too:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478030
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553507
Perhaps a stronger vacuum with a brushed attachment so it wont pull on the leather?
      10-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

that happened in my e92 m3. some electronic glitch that they fixed on the spot.

Appreciate 0