clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
agreed.

for those people that will put on aftermarket exhausts on their cars, the active sound will surely not sound proper.
Not sure why several of u guys kept saying this. AS adds in/amplifies the engine note only. The exhaust note is the real deal from the car's exhaust. If u change the exhaust, u simply replace the original exhaust note with your new exhaust. AS ain't gonna affect anything. It simply remains, but its sound would be drowned out by the louder new exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #46
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Makes a huge difference, however I'd rather fix the issue with a big honking exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
RR80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Love the sound no matter Active Sound on or off~~! I want the clip to be my phone ringtone! hee.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #48
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
The same concept applies to the new 911 carrera s. They also have a sound amplification system on the new 911 carrera s, but for Porsche it's the real deal. It's called the sound symposer.

I was also wondering if changing the intakes would affect the active sound. How about adding a blow off valve (BOV)? Would it affect active sound as well???

It would be funny if you notice that the intake, BOV isn't synchronizing with the active system.
except Porsche's is not a sound pumped through stereo, it's a valve that allows engine intake air to run through a by-pass valve, so driver hears the sound of the intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #49
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
except Porsche's is not a sound pumped through stereo, it's a valve that allows engine intake air to run through a by-pass valve, so driver hears the sound of the intake.
Yup! Your right on that one.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #50
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Idk what the formal term is but an easy and real fix would be a button to cover or uncover header/downpipe dump outs under the drivers and passengers side. That way it's either stock, or loud. No soundproofing would stop that sound. Probably not legal for the factory to do though

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #51
WMAC6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Active sound is the dumbest feature ever on a bmw
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #52
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I think the real challenge isn't whether or not to use a valve to allow the sound to pass through into the cabin. The real issue is whether or not after going FI, does one still get enough induction note to enjoy in the cabin. The Porsches that use this method I believe are NA. I wonder how it sounds for the Panamera Turbo?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #53
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
There's something just unnatural about cars like the M5 that requires these sorts of things. It's a balancing act between large, heavy luxury quiet car that they are trying to make as fast, handle as well, and provide similar feedback as a sports car. So they have to use these weird tricks to bridge the gap.

I think it's neat that BMW is offering this M5 beast. Yeah they could have used other tricks to get there as others suggested, but at least they are just amplifying the interior noise, not trying to make it sound like something it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #54
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I think the real challenge isn't whether or not to use a valve to allow the sound to pass through into the cabin. The real issue is whether or not after going FI, does one still get enough induction note to enjoy in the cabin. The Porsches that use this method I believe are NA. I wonder how it sounds for the Panamera Turbo?
First of thanks for taking the time to do this test. I had to put earphones on to really hear the difference. The first acceleration you can really here the enhanced sound of the engine.

One could come up with many theories why BMW did this. I think they just simply thought the car was too quiet inside and wanted to separate it a little more from the 550i.

The test drivers might have complained about the engine being to quiet, not able to physically hear where the revs were at. It could be possible that this feature is a lot more useful in a manual M5. It is helpful being able to hear the revs clearly and not having to constantly look at the rpm gauge.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #55
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

I'm sure with a little bit of coding active sound can be turned off.
Instead of pulling a fuse which most people wouldn't want to do...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #56
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
I'm sure with a little bit of coding active sound can be turned off.
Instead of pulling a fuse which most people wouldn't want to do...
I don't think he is suggesting that people pull their fuses as he explained that the radio and the parking sensors also don't work with the fuse pulled. It was just his way of testing the difference in sound.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #57
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
I don't think he is suggesting that people pull their fuses as he explained that the radio and the parking sensors also don't work with the fuse pulled. It was just his way of testing the difference in sound.
Correct! Yanking the fuse is the only way to disable Active Sound as BMW is not making this feature user selectable, at least not now. I certainly won't advise anyone to run around with the fuse yanked for reasons stated.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #58
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

I actually like the noise pipe of my gti without it you just heard turbo whine and despite what people think I notices no increase in throttle response. Imagine active sound in the v10... They should add more microphones near the exhaust intake wastegates turbos and make a symphony so when you upgrade you can hear them... But there should be a I drive function to enable disable it. AS does give it kinda straight cut gear sounds
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #59
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
In a few years when every car is full electric, or electric with a range extender, technologies such as this will be commonplace. That BMW is pioneering it now is a good thing, and the result is that by the time we no longer have V8s or V10s to enjoy, we likely won't be able to tell.

I'm as much a "petrol head" as many on these boards, but I just don't see how we'll continue with our love of these engines. After driving lots of high-torque and low RPM engines, including everything from the 3.0 liter diesel in my X5 to an 8 liter V10 in a Viper Competition Coupe, I think that the instant torque of an electric motor is going to be great once the battery energy density issues are worked out, and they will be. Being able to have the car sound (and likely "feel" via resonators, etc.) like a V8, V10, V12, or whatever, will be great. Sure, it's "videogame" like, but most cars are and have been for a while now.

If you're not ready to embrace the future, there are always classic cars that you can buy, drive, and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #60
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

There are two other possibilities to deactivate Active Sound that can be tested.

1) Pull the plug out of the Active Sound Control unit ( May throw a error code ??)

2) Pull the connectors from the Active Sound Control unit to the Amplifier ( Top Hi Fi system)
      04-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #61
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
There are two other possibilities to deactivate Active Sound that can be tested.

1) Pull the plug out of the Active Sound Control unit ( May throw a error code ??)

2) Pull the connectors from the Active Sound Control unit to the Amplifier ( Top Hi Fi system)
Are u saying that there are 2 other fuses that control the above or that we disconnect some wires/connectors?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #62
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Interesting post, thanks for sharing.
      04-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #63
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
In a few years when every car is full electric, or electric with a range extender, technologies such as this will be commonplace. That BMW is pioneering it now is a good thing, and the result is that by the time we no longer have V8s or V10s to enjoy, we likely won't be able to tell.

I'm as much a "petrol head" as many on these boards, but I just don't see how we'll continue with our love of these engines. After driving lots of high-torque and low RPM engines, including everything from the 3.0 liter diesel in my X5 to an 8 liter V10 in a Viper Competition Coupe, I think that the instant torque of an electric motor is going to be great once the battery energy density issues are worked out, and they will be. Being able to have the car sound (and likely "feel" via resonators, etc.) like a V8, V10, V12, or whatever, will be great. Sure, it's "videogame" like, but most cars are and have been for a while now.

If you're not ready to embrace the future, there are always classic cars that you can buy, drive, and enjoy.

BINGO... VERY well stated... Sound will be just like the incorporation of things like "angel eyes" etc. that brand. Sound sculpting will be an afterthought when your driving Tesla-esque torque on a daily basis. ~Frost
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #64
shenglin
New Blood
Singapore
Rep
Drives: --

Dear haters of the AS, I understand personally from your stand that as a BMW owner or enthusiast, you wish to have a choice or have various opinions on the system itself.

Perhaps you may even feel that BMW has diverge from its path of "Ultimate Driving Machine" and fell into the cult of "fake noise" generation.

However, please, I would like to urge you guys to spare a little thought to the hard work that the BMW and M-division Engineers. They try their every means to bring out the best to us and spent so much time to fine tune the little details for the vehicles out on the roads.

For those who question about "noise insulation", and why on earth should BMW drown out the noise from the outside and muffle the noise of the engine as well. Sit down, have a cup of coffee and think about why M-cars were developed in the first place. Under what category does the M5 fall in? I'm not sure if your answer's a Premium luxury sedan that can function as a track vehicle on weekends. But for the latter, it has to under go stringent engineering development in a field called "Noise Vibration Harshness".

In a nutshell, the engineers of this field goes through many hours to fine tune the tactile response for your seat, drive wheel and vibrations of your vehicle; as well as acoustic response for you and your passengers' ears. They are people who spent many years just to learn the art of doing so. And trust me, its one of the hardest department and a silent workhorse in the automotive industry.

The M5, in order to be luxury in its own right, has to be properly insulated from outside noise to a certain extend. Its targeted to customers who want to enjoy comfort as well as greater performance out of an normal F10 5 series. They are people who wishes to pay premium pricing to enjoy both side of the coins.

Indeed, BMW didn't admit to the fact that there is AS, but I guess its all for marketing purpose. For the purist, I guess you people just wish for them to be honest about it and be able to shut it off. Fair enough.

But I hope that the haters out there can just calm down a little and stop making a huge deal out of the matter. As smaller and economical engines hit the roads, we all have to get used to lesser engine audio. Want some hot rod V8 power? Get a different car. Everyone have a choice. If you wish to have a car that pleases you in terms of noise and harshness and produce the same amount of power, get the GTR or any close models that you can think of. Or you can remove the engine insulation at the front of your dashboard all together.

A car design can only please so many people. If it doesn't suit you, you can always check out the store next door. Just don't hate the car for not being suitable to your taste.

And artificial car sound is coming to town, we can't stop it. Even Audi has an audio department making exhaust sounds for the e-tron. Its the future of matters and if its hard to swallow, I wish to give you a pat on the shoulders.

People drive M3s overseas while we can only afford public transport in my country..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #65
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Are u saying that there are 2 other fuses that control the above or that we disconnect some wires/connectors?
No fuses, but the plug into the Active Sound Control unit or the wires from it to the amplifier.

All the sounds are generated buy the AS Control unit and then fed into the cars amplifier.
So I would think if you disconnect the connection between the unit and the amplifier you will not get any sounds.
      04-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #66
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
For all the naysayers: C'mon man! Your driving the new M5!!!

Btw, I love to pipe in some of that sound to my new little F30 328i