Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #89
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Clar,
Thx for testing this! Who knew pumping exhaust into the cabin would be so controversial? (just trying to start a rumor... )
Everyone,
This is a great demonstration of how much people value choice. If no one knew about AS, we wouldn't have all these threads (because no one would notice. ) and if it were defeatable there would be no outrage. Just shut it off.
Ranters,
Rant on!

Last edited by GTR-Dad; 04-26-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #90
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
Clar,
Thx for testing this! Who knew pumping exhaust into the cabin would be so controversial? (just trying to start a rumor... )
Everyone,
This is a great demonstration of how much people value choice. If no one knew about AS, we wouldn't have all these threads (because no one would notice. ) and if it were defeatable there would be no outrage. Just shut it off.
Ranters,
Rant on!
It's not 'pumping exhaust', or engine sound. It's an MP3 sound track. That's what bothers so many of us. Sound is one of the single most important features of a performance car. That's why aftermarket exhausts are the biggest dollar volume aftermarket item after wheels. If enough people 'rant', then BMW will at least make it switchable via Idrive. People who just accept whatever BMW does, don't do anything to improve the brand.

Eventually, somebody would have found out. "My stereo fuse blew, and my car is suddenly much quieter...".
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #91
BlueBliss
Rep
Drives: 2005 GT

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Conclusion: Is Active Sound fake? I wouldn't say so. The engine note is a genuine production from the engine. Active Sound simply amplifies and play it back via the speaker..
I beg to differ on this. If you pay attention to the sound being pumped into the cabin via the speakers, it sounds nothing like the V8TT under the hood. It actually sounds like the whine of a V10. My theory on "Active Sound Design" is that BMW wanted to give the M5 an E60-inspired aural experience. I know some people will wholeheartedly disagree with me, but I don't see any other reason in using a V10 note, other than it being more "interesting/sporty" than the B8 under the hood.

I've brought this up on many YouTube videos (including the popular Autobahn clip:
). The sound you're hearing is a reproduction of a slighly-V10ish engine note. There is nothing V8 about it. Bring up some videos of V10 RS6 acceleration runs, and you'll hear what I mean.

I'm a hardcore BMW fan, and M cars have been my dream cars since I was a little boy. This, though, really doesn't sit well with me.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #92
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

So what happens when you blow a speaker listening to too much Coolio? Will the engine sound like it is in a bag of newspaper?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #93
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
So what happens when you blow a speaker listening to too much Coolio? Will the engine sound like it is in a bag of newspaper?
If you open your windows you'll hear a louder more defined version of what gets played through the speakers.

The reason for the multilayered sound (why F10 M5 sounds unlike most V8s) is due to the cross-bank manifold and exhaust layout.

As Clar concluded, turn off the Active Sound & with the windows/sunroof closed, you'll just hear a muted version of what you go with Active Sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #94
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Can AS be coded out?

I can't imagine why they wouldn't make this a feature in which the driver could enable/disable..???????
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center

Last edited by PhilT3; 03-24-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #95
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
If you open your windows you'll hear a louder more defined version of what gets played through the speakers.

The reason for the multilayered sound (why F10 M5 sounds unlike most V8s) is due to the cross-bank manifold and exhaust layout.

As Clar concluded, turn off the Active Sound & with the windows/sunroof closed, you'll just hear a muted version of what you go with Active Sound.
I realize that, but since the sound is "amplified" by the stereo/speakers, what happens if a speaker is blown? Will the AS sound like garbage? It was more of a facetious question, but I'm still curious.

BMW: "Oh, you are outside of warranty and blew a speaker? Sorry that your engine now sounds like garbage."
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #96
Sliverxy
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

ASD disabled in M5

Hi folks
Finally I was able to disable ASD by just unplugging the ASD connector cable from the ASD Sound Module. It takes about One hour and there are no impacts/errors. I have a Hamann exhaust installed and ist sounds really great. Hence I dont need any fake sound in the cabin. It's way too loud with ASD
For details let me know.
Greetz
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #97
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I realize that, but since the sound is "amplified" by the stereo/speakers, what happens if a speaker is blown? Will the AS sound like garbage? It was more of a facetious question, but I'm still curious.

BMW: "Oh, you are outside of warranty and blew a speaker? Sorry that your engine now sounds like garbage."
The active sound would be the least I'd worry about on an M5 outside of warranty... (and hopefully by the time the speaker blows due to blasting music at full volume, hearing will be impaired to the point that active sound is no longer noticeable, so problem fixed ).

Plenty of manufacturers doing active sound, not just BMW and not the only thing that will be fun to live with on out of warranty cars...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #98
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliverxy View Post
Hi folks
Finally I was able to disable ASD by just unplugging the ASD connector cable from the ASD Sound Module. It takes about One hour and there are no impacts/errors. I have a Hamann exhaust installed and ist sounds really great. Hence I dont need any fake sound in the cabin. It's way too loud with ASD
For details let me know.
Greetz
Silverxy-

Where is the module located? Can you provide some instructions?

Thanks!
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #99
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
The active sound would be the least I'd worry about on an M5 outside of warranty... (and hopefully by the time the speaker blows due to blasting music at full volume, hearing will be impaired to the point that active sound is no longer noticeable, so problem fixed ).

Plenty of manufacturers doing active sound, not just BMW and not the only thing that will be fun to live with on out of warranty cars...
Ha. Truth.

Although I've got a 2015 STi on order and instead of amplifying the engine note, they use a sound tube (or something similar) to direct the direct noise in to the cabin, instead of synthesizing whatever engine frequencies are deemed beneficial. I'm not OK with ASD, but I'm more OK with redirected notes…
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #100
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I love AS!!
If it's sound is not that good due to the wonderful STu63
Thank you BMW for trying to keep us happy inside the cabin -
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #101
Sliverxy
Liechtenstein
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
Silverxy-

Where is the module located? Can you provide some instructions?

Thanks!
See the pics.

Turn down the back seat. You have to remove the covers on the floor (the big one) and the left one. You also have to lift the rubber seal a little beat so that you can remove the backplane.

Almost everything is fixed with press buttons which you can remove safely. Finally you can use them again to put everything together.

After you remove the left cover you have access to the ASD module. Just unplug the connector and fix it with a cable strap.

We're currently working on a switch/button to enable/disable ASD from the rear trunk

ASD with the original exhust is fine. But with the Hamann it's that loud that it isn't fun anymore! However I think BMW should make this feature configurable in the iDRIVE.

Name:  f10m5-asd1.jpg
Views: 3033
Size:  286.7 KB

Name:  f10m5-asd2.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  225.3 KB

Name:  f10m5-asd3.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  203.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #102
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

How in the world u managed to figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #103
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

I too have just had my Active Sound Module disconnected by the stereo shop which is just completing an over-the-top sound system for me (i.e. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the B&O I ordered). Secondarily, with my M Performance (Akrapovic) exhaust, I thought it wise for both these reasons to do away with Active Exhaust Sound, etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by VintageFerrari; 03-25-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #104
darmawaa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliverxy View Post
Hi folks
For details let me know.
Greetz
Is the audio (CD/radio) still working with the ASD disconnected?
Mine is M135i which also has ASD.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #105
Sliverxy
Liechtenstein
Rep

Yes. The cable is for ASD only. No impact to Radio!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #106
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

So I have the Competition package and it's supposed to have a "sport exhaust system."

Does this mean I have different exhaust or a different MP3?

It would be an expensive MP3....

-Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #107
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
So I have the Competition package and it's supposed to have a "sport exhaust system."

Does this mean I have different exhaust or a different MP3?

It would be an expensive MP3....

-Dave
Maybe...in the ASD module under configuration there are files named Bahruie, motor, competition paket, etc. Under comp paket the choices are nein and ja. I haven't changed the setting but am curious about what effect this 'ja' selection would have on my sound. I have it set to nein by default.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #108
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Maybe...in the ASD module under configuration there are files named Bahruie, motor, competition paket, etc. Under comp paket the choices are nein and ja. I haven't changed the setting but am curious about what effect this 'ja' selection would have on my sound. I have it set to nein by default.
I don't speak German but if Nien and Ja mean No and Yes then I suspect it would enable the comp pack sound. So the exhaust is just a software upgrade and black tips. That's kind of funny in a drive my BMW through the showroom window kind of way....

I wonder if the steering and suspension upgrade for the Competition package are also just a software settings as well? Given that the competition package cost $7300, that's a lot of money to pay for basically a coding session. I guess the car sits lower than standard so something must be different mechanically. I suspect that there is no difference in the engine, just a marketing thing. The standard one was probably under-rated. But who knows...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #109
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
I don't speak German but if Nien and Ja mean No and Yes then I suspect it would enable the comp pack sound. So the exhaust is just a software upgrade and black tips. That's kind of funny in a drive my BMW through the showroom window kind of way....

I wonder if the steering and suspension upgrade for the Competition package are also just a software settings as well? Given that the competition package cost $7300, that's a lot of money to pay for basically a coding session. I guess the car sits lower than standard so something must be different mechanically. I suspect that there is no difference in the engine, just a marketing thing. The standard one was probably under-rated. But who knows...
Comp has upgraded shocks, springs and sway bars. It also has 2-3 psi more boost. I don't know if the exhaust changed a lot but I think it's a bit louder.
Appreciate 0