Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
I have been driving BMWs with expensive wheels for years in NJ (more or less the same pot hole situation), I can tell you that I have had 0 problems with my wheels. That's literally zero scratches, rashes, cracked, bent, nothing, nada, zip. I honestly think a lot of these "wheel" damages can be avoided and they happen because people drive irresponsibly without watching the road. I also think the tire&wheel insurance is the biggest rip off after AppleCare. Nothing will be better than paying attention and watching out, all people need is some common sense
I agree for the most part, I know every pothole in my area. Ive bent but one rim in all my days in NJ, and that was on the way to Short Hills Mall when they had this huge steel grate on the road after a toll, which was unavoidable unless you saw it really early and slowed to a crawl.

I noticed also that my winter OEM 19s hav rock chips on them - no doubt due to the extra crap on the roads this winter. Ive had painted wheels before but never saw random chips in the wheels.
      02-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #24
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
I agree for the most part, I know every pothole in my area. Ive bent but one rim in all my days in NJ, and that was on the way to Short Hills Mall when they had this huge steel grate on the road after a toll, which was unavoidable unless you saw it really early and slowed to a crawl.

I noticed also that my winter OEM 19s hav rock chips on them - no doubt due to the extra crap on the roads this winter. Ive had painted wheels before but never saw random chips in the wheels.
I am originally from northern New Jersey, but have lived in Manhattan for 30 years, and respectfully, the roads in Manhattan are much worse, and allow you less room to maneuver to avoid a pothole. Guaranteed, you would have wheel problems in Manhattan, even if you are extremely careful and have common sense. And that is not including the damage that can occur from hitting the metal plates in the road used to cover the larger openings. The only place that compares is Detroit, which also has bad roads.

And speaking of worst stretch of roads, the right lane of the FDR Drive, just before the Southbound 34th Street exit, has to be the worst stretch of road in NYC. For those of you who do not know, the undulations in this road section are so bad it bottoms out your car, and everyone who knows about this section gets in the middle lane to avoid the right lane, even though the middle lane is full of potholes. So you will see all these cars, at the last minute, darting from the middle lane to the exit, at the right lane, just to avoid that stretch of road.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #25
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
I am originally from northern New Jersey, but have lived in Manhattan for 30 years, and respectfully, the roads in Manhattan are much worse, and allow you less room to maneuver to avoid a pothole. Guaranteed, you would have wheel problems in Manhattan, even if you are extremely careful and have common sense. And that is not including the damage that can occur from hitting the metal plates in the road used to cover the larger openings. The only place that compares is Detroit, which also has bad roads.

And speaking of worst stretch of roads, the right lane of the FDR Drive, just before the Southbound 34th Street exit, has to be the worst stretch of road in NYC. For those of you who do not know, the undulations in this road section are so bad it bottoms out your car, and everyone who knows about this section gets in the middle lane to avoid the right lane, even though the middle lane is full of potholes. So you will see all these cars, at the last minute, darting from the middle lane to the exit, at the right lane, just to avoid that stretch of road.
Yes, I work in Manhattan but make it a point to never drive there. You don't have the ability to swerve and miss potholes, unless you want to side swipe someone. Can't wait to see what the roads will be like Friday.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #26
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I never drive to Manhattan. If I have to go to JFK from NJ, I take the v bridge from NJ to brooklyn. It's not just the potholes but the crazy cab drivers and a million other things that is wrong with that place (for driving)!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #27
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I don't know if it was yesterday or Monday, but there was a news report of a couple who drove off the 70 foot high elevated highway (I think it was the Cross Bronx Exp). The husband was driving and apparently swerved to avoid a huge pothole, hit the side and went over. Amazingly, the car landed on its wheels and the couple only suffered some major bumps and bruises.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0