Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Seeking Advice on New M5 From Out Of State Dealer

Hey there - thanks in advance for any guidance or experience with the following scenario.

I'm negotiating with a couple of out of state dealers for a new 2014 M5 and I am trying to understand how to get the vehicle to me if I am successful. I love road trips, however, I'd prefer not to have to fly to the vehicle and drive it back home.

For those that have done similar:

-Did the dealer ship to your local BMW dealer for re-delivery or direct to your home address?

-What did the dealer charge to ship your M5 to you or your local dealer?

-Did you fly to the dealer first to check out the new car in person before finalizing the transaction or just trust the process, build sheets, pictures and videos and lease it w/o seeing it in person?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmag View Post
Hey there - thanks in advance for any guidance or experience with the following scenario.

I'm negotiating with a couple of out of state dealers for a new 2014 M5 and I am trying to understand how to get the vehicle to me if I am successful. I love road trips, however, I'd prefer not to have to fly to the vehicle and drive it back home.

-Did the dealer ship to your local BMW dealer for re-delivery or direct to your home address?

-Did you fly to the dealer first to check out the new car in person before finalizing the transaction or just trust the process, build sheets, pictures and videos and lease it w/o seeing it in person?

If I were you, I would definitely fly to dealer to check out the car in person and then make the deal and drive it back. It's lots of fun to drive the brand new car in road trip
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

Never buy a car sight unseen - you are asking for trouble. Shipping within the domestic US will cost you approximately $1000 max, and I would negotiate that aspect at the very end after you have agreed on a price. Make the stealership pay for the logistics....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

I ordered mine from an out of state dealer and it was pre-arranged that they would deliver it to me at no charge. They delivered it to my door step which was kind of cool. I did not fly there ahead of time to check it out. You always can look it over before you sign for it with the delivery person.

If it was a pre-owned car or a car that had been on their lot for a while, I might have gone to see it or pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

when buying from out of state you can take advantage of a few different delivery options.

1. like you stated you can drive/fly down to the dealership and drive the car home
2. you can do a courtesy delivery which is where the car is delivered to a dealer near you(this is for new orders, and the dealer would have to agree to terms)
3. or you can have the car delivered to your
4. you can take delivery at Performance Center in South Carolina (seeing that your in WA this would most likely not work for you )

there are some tax situation that take place as well based off where you take delivery of the car. I am not a expert in this part of the situation (That is what we have David Aviles for) so I wont comment any more on that but it can be very important based of your state taxes on where you take delivery of the car etc..

Shipping unfortunately can vary state to state depending on locations. The comment above that states 1000 max is incorrect. It could be cheaper or it could be a lot more all depends on locations, time, and demand of the trucking companies. We personally do not make any money off trucking we simply bid the process out to a select few highly qualified trucking companies

David Aviles and his team sell roughly 45% of their monthly sales to out of state buyers and its a very easy and smooth process. You shouldn't ever feel as though you have to be stuck with whatever your local dealers are pitching you. There are a lot of us dealers out there who want your business so def wise to search outside the area to find the best deals! good luck with your search and looking forward to seeing what you end up buying

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

I would not buy a car, even if new, w/o seeing it. For example, went to pick up a M6 yesterday, there was a nice door ding/crease and paint needed a correction. Not the end of the world, but keep in mind damage does happen in transit and can be fixed prior to delivery at dealer. You should really see the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Where are the cars you are looking at? Maybe a member here who lives near the car would be willing to swing by and take a look at it for you.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I live in TX and purchased from FL with no issues. We took ED of the car and had setup to take re delivery at the PDC. When the car hit state side we did not want to wait for 2 more months for an open spot ( holiday season so they were closed a lot of days). So the car shipped to the dealer in FL, we flew down and picked it up. Very enjoyable.

You have lots of options.
      08-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_s View Post
I would not buy a car, even if new, w/o seeing it. For example, went to pick up a M6 yesterday, there was a nice door ding/crease and paint needed a correction. Not the end of the world, but keep in mind damage does happen in transit and can be fixed prior to delivery at dealer. You should really see the car.
Thanks for the guidance... curious, was the M6 new or used? If new, that would be concerning. I'm trying to justify the additional cost of flying there and back plus whatever a courtesy ship may cost (still negotiating) vs. simply doing ED. Another dealer is offering my ED Invoice plus 1K and I get the exact build I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
when buying from out of state you can take advantage of a few different delivery options.

1. like you stated you can drive/fly down to the dealership and drive the car home
2. you can do a courtesy delivery which is where the car is delivered to a dealer near you(this is for new orders, and the dealer would have to agree to terms)
3. or you can have the car delivered to your
4. you can take delivery at Performance Center in South Carolina (seeing that your in WA this would most likely not work for you )

there are some tax situation that take place as well based off where you take delivery of the car. I am not a expert in this part of the situation (That is what we have David Aviles for) so I wont comment any more on that but it can be very important based of your state taxes on where you take delivery of the car etc..

Shipping unfortunately can vary state to state depending on locations. The comment above that states 1000 max is incorrect. It could be cheaper or it could be a lot more all depends on locations, time, and demand of the trucking companies. We personally do not make any money off trucking we simply bid the process out to a select few highly qualified trucking companies

David Aviles and his team sell roughly 45% of their monthly sales to out of state buyers and its a very easy and smooth process. You shouldn't ever feel as though you have to be stuck with whatever your local dealers are pitching you. There are a lot of us dealers out there who want your business so def wise to search outside the area to find the best deals! good luck with your search and looking forward to seeing what you end up buying
Thank you GOLFRRR. This is super helpful and encouraging. I have been buying and leasing BM's from the same dealer in WA state for ~15 years, would love to continue to support them, however, they are not negotiating on M cars at the moment. If I end up going ED, I will reach out to David for a quote as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
I ordered mine from an out of state dealer and it was pre-arranged that they would deliver it to me at no charge. They delivered it to my door step which was kind of cool. I did not fly there ahead of time to check it out. You always can look it over before you sign for it with the delivery person.

If it was a pre-owned car or a car that had been on their lot for a while, I might have gone to see it or pick it up.
TY shellbmb! I have I've owned and leased ~9 BM's.. with only 1 lemon law buyback over the years. The local BMW dealership and BMW NA have always been good to me. Curious - any issues w/ your local dealer supporting you with an out of state M5 purchase? All good with the car now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
If I were you, I would definitely fly to dealer to check out the car in person and then make the deal and drive it back. It's lots of fun to drive the brand new car in road trip
Hah - great advice! This is exactly the guidance my wife is providing me. "Go do a road trip and enjoy the drive...you deserve it."

If the drive was along the CA-OR-WA coast I'd be all in. Trekking through sketchy desert and mountain roads of WY, ID, OR eastern WA and two other states for ~1400 miles with the potential of picking up some road rash while trailing truckers and/or playing chicken with deer concern me.

Love your M6 btw! Thought about one when I leased my current M3 but my little guy (then 6, now 8) couldn't fit in the back w/o giving me s. Now it's time for me to go back to 4 doors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Where are the cars you are looking at? Maybe a member here who lives near the car would be willing to swing by and take a look at it for you.
Great advice! I'm going to go best and final and perhaps include that contingency in the offer. Most likely I wont ping a board member...however, you've got me thinking. I have someone that reports to me along with a handful of colleagues that live in the area of the dealership. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Quote:

My wife is from the Seattle area. The dealers up there are a nightmare. Just call Greg Poland at Pacific BMW in Glendale. Best CA anywhere !! Make a deal. Then fly Nonstop to Burbank, which is 10 minutes from the dealer, and he will pick you up. Then drive it home, or he will have it shipped back for you. Easy !!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance... curious, was the M6 new or used? If new, that would be concerning. I'm trying to justify the additional cost of flying there and back plus whatever a courtesy ship may cost (still negotiating) vs. simply doing ED. Another dealer is offering my ED Invoice plus 1K and I get the exact build I want.
Car is new. Lot damage. Also, even tho I would trust a board member, I would still want to see car myself. After all, these cars are expensive. Good luck with whatever you decide!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:

TY shellbmb! I have I've owned and leased ~9 BM's.. with only 1 lemon law buyback over the years. The local BMW dealership and BMW NA have always been good to me. Curious - any issues w/ your local dealer supporting you with an out of state M5 purchase? All good with the car now?
Actually, the car had a head unit problem as soon as I received it. So I had to take it to the local dealership and it was no problem at all.
Appreciate 0