BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

New Stable Mate!

Picked up an M4 at the PC and drove her home....

Here is the link to the post over on the M3/M4 page...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1021375
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Nice color, nice car... Congrats!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Congrats!!!! I like the label saying don't touch it!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Nice combo, I would IF my M6 GC CP was not just round the corner.
      08-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
LonghornM5
Rep
Drives: MCB, DCT, Turner, iND, invisbr

Nice. Can't wait to see it at C&C.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Dude, I hear you on Left Lane Hoggers. Makes me go insane sometimes.

There's an unknown comedian who said it best: "You ever notice that on the highway, anyone who is driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a lunatic?"

What's equally as infuriating are those people in Dodge Caravan's who want to pass you, while you are already doing 25mph over the speed limit in the left lane.

I need a new license plate that says: "Gandolf" Eat my straightpipes idiots!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dude, I hear you on Left Lane Hoggers. Makes me go insane sometimes.

There's an unknown comedian who said it best: "You ever notice that on the highway, anyone who is driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a lunatic?"

What's equally as infuriating are those people in Dodge Caravan's who want to pass you, while you are already doing 25mph over the speed limit in the left lane.

I need a new license plate that says: "Gandolf" Eat my straightpipes idiots!
Yeah... Just LOVE the people who totally overdrive their vehicles capabilities. Sure... That Town and Country will do 100...just pray you don't have to make an evasive maneuver!
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

Congrats, what an awesome car. I think you have the perfect set of ///M cars now. I'm green with envy ;-)

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Come on, you can't have it both ways. The left lane is for passing, and if some driver in his Nash Rambler wants to go 120 and needs to get by you, move over to let him by. I agree, left lane drivers who aren't passing and just stay in the lane are dangerous. Those who stay in the left lane while going maybe 5 to 10 mph over the limit seem to feel they are pushing as fast as anyone should be allowed to, and are doing appropriate speed control for the rest of us. If I'm passing other cars while in the left lane and some hot rod comes up behind wanting to go even faster, I'll pull over to let him through, and then resume passing at my pace. Sure, I could blast off in a blaze of glory and leave him behind, but not safe or appropriate. To the OP, sorry for the digression, great looking choice for the M4! The Silverstone/SO combo is excellent!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Come on, you can't have it both ways. The left lane is for passing, and if some driver in his Nash Rambler wants to go 120 and needs to get by you, move over to let him by. I agree, left lane drivers who aren't passing and just stay in the lane are dangerous. Those who stay in the left lane while going maybe 5 to 10 mph over the limit seem to feel they are pushing as fast as anyone should be allowed to, and are doing appropriate speed control for the rest of us. If I'm passing other cars while in the left lane and some hot rod comes up behind wanting to go even faster, I'll pull over to let him through, and then resume passing at my pace. Sure, I could blast off in a blaze of glory and leave him behind, but not safe or appropriate. To the OP, sorry for the digression, great looking choice for the M4! The Silverstone/SO combo is excellent!
I completely agree with you brother. If some hot rod wants to pass, absolutely I move over to the right lane in my F10 M5 for them, i.e. if they are driving anything with a sporty character to it; Audi S4, Corvette, BMW 335i, McLaren MP4-12C, Subaru STi, etc, etc... However, those jackasses, who get on my ass while I'm already doing 90mph in a 65mph zone in the left lane, in their Ford F150, Honda Civic, or Chevy Spark, hell no I don't move over. I'm in a 700+hp M5 driving at comfortable America law breaking speed that is designed to do those kind of speeds on the Autobahn, they don't need to pass me because that means they'll be doing close to 100mph in a car that is not safe at those speeds in order to pass me even if I do move over. No non-high performance car needs to drive over 90mph in America. Even when I owned my base Fiat 500 (with 100hp) I always drove the speed limit, never tried to pass anyone at 100mph in that thing, it could barely even get up to 85mph. Lol! There's just too many bad drivers out there who are truly speeding in my own opinion. Doing 150mph in an RS7 is not speeding, the car was designed for that and it can stop on a dime if need be. The woman texting in her 6,000+lbs Ford Expedition with those pathetic brakes is far more dangerous at 70mph tailgating people in the left lane. Anyways, I digress as well. American drivers are truly hypocrites, it is not socially acceptable to tailgate, yet everyone does it and the people who do it, literally do not care.

Disclaimer: I make all these statements in general regardless of country. In America doing even 1mph over the posted speed limit is speeding because that is the written law.

Also, to Bokke, post those pictures you took of the Carbon Brakes service intervals, too funny!

Last edited by RPiM5; 08-11-2014 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
..., hell no I don't move over. I'm in a 700+hp M5 driving at comfortable America law breaking speed that is designed to do those kind of speeds on the Autobahn, they don't need to pass me because that means they'll be doing close to 100mph in a car that is not safe at those speeds in order to pass me even if I do move over.
Wow, I would not have thought that this would ever happen ;-) @RPiM5, sir, I have to respectfully disagree :-0

If we can move out of the way because traffic allows us to, we should move out of the way. While I understand and agree with your reasoning on the Expedition-Mommy at 100mph, it is not up to us to judge and regulate. That's law enforcements obligation.

Because if we were to make this judgment and interfere with other motorists way of driving with this reasoning, I would argue that all the 55mph left lane driving friends that do see you and nonetheless don't move over would have the same right to say, "no, I won't have him pass, him going faster than speed limit is dangerous and therefore I won't let him do that." I would say that but for those cases where the driver is simply sleeping or texting or otherwise so distracted that they won't even see me coming up from or driving behind them, 95% of the time the reason why they don't move over is this thought pattern "he doesn't need to go faster, hence, why should I move over" (with a connotation of "I am actually helping the greater good of the road by keeping him from speeding").

The consequence is, if you have an inpatient driver that the car will ultimately pass on the right, which is about the most dangerous thing to do on a highway altogether.

Makes sense?!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by (H)
Quote:
..., hell no I don't move over. I'm in a 700+hp M5 driving at comfortable America law breaking speed that is designed to do those kind of speeds on the Autobahn, they don't need to pass me because that means they'll be doing close to 100mph in a car that is not safe at those speeds in order to pass me even if I do move over.
Wow, I would not have thought that this would ever happen ;-) @RPiM5, sir, I have to respectfully disagree :-0

If we can move out of the way because traffic allows us to, we should move out of the way. While I understand and agree with your reasoning on the Expedition-Mommy at 100mph, it is not up to us to judge and regulate. That's law enforcements obligation.

Because if we were to make this judgment and interfere with other motorists way of driving with this reasoning, I would argue that all the 55mph left lane driving friends that do see you and nonetheless don't move over would have the same right to say, "no, I won't have him pass, him going faster than speed limit is dangerous and therefore I won't let him do that." I would say that but for those cases where the driver is simply sleeping or texting or otherwise so distracted that they won't even see me coming up from or driving behind them, 95% of the time the reason why they don't move over is this thought pattern "he doesn't need to go faster, hence, why should I move over" (with a connotation of "I am actually helping the greater good of the road by keeping him from speeding").

The consequence is, if you have an inpatient driver that the car will ultimately pass on the right, which is about the most dangerous thing to do on a highway altogether.

Makes sense?!
+1. Totally agree.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Got to agree with H. I am very conscious about left lane protocol. Number one pet peeve. I do alot of highway driving in my company vehicle which is a 2014 Chev Z71, not a performance vehicle but I cruise around 130-135km/h. I strictly use the left lane for passing and then pull over, even in the M.
      08-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post

Makes sense?!
Yes sir, it makes sense. Which is why I don't tailgate the slow poke in the left lane and either move to the right and slow down and wait for the slow person in the left lane to eventually exit the left lane and then pass in the left lane or I stay in the left lane slow down and don't tail gate. I have the cognizance to realize that traffic conditions change all the time and being patient is better than tailgating and trying to force the slow poke in the left lane to move over. If I have an impatient driver behind me, I either move over to the right or I never let them pass depending on how impatient they are. Only in extreme cases as I mentioned where someone is trying to pass me at 100mph in a non-high performance car, do I give them a hard time. Maybe it's a little vigilantism, but I have actually saved some bad drivers from themselves a few times. Can you see my point?

Below is a real life example. It is a picture I took a few months back in great Commonwealth of Virginia (sarcasm). Notice all the people in the left lane. The speed limit on this highway was 55mph. I set my cruise control to 55mph and everyone in the picture was being held up in the left lane. These are the idiots Bokke and I are talking about. This is what is wrong with America. They all should be in the right lane. I'd also like to point out again that while on ED when I picked up my M5, I drove over 2,000 miles in Europe and not a single time was I passed on the right. I actually thought about selling my M5 right after Euro Delivery because I knew how bad it was going to be driving a car like an M5 in the U.S. after my experience in Europe.

Also sorry for threadjacking Bokke. I won't post anymore about this.
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 08-11-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

She's a beauty Bokke!
      08-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

.....that blue though
      08-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

That M4 is sexy as hell
      08-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Below is a real life example. It is a picture I took a few months back in great Commonwealth of Virginia (sarcasm).

Also sorry for threadjacking Bokke. I won't post anymore about this.
Great Pic!

No problem......
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post

Makes sense?!
Yep! I let them pass. I do laugh at them but don't bother with them any more than I have to.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #20
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
I completely agree with you brother. If some hot rod wants to pass, absolutely I move over to the right lane in my F10 M5 for them, i.e. if they are driving anything with a sporty character to it; Audi S4, Corvette, BMW 335i, McLaren MP4-12C, Subaru STi, etc, etc... However, those jackasses, who get on my ass while I'm already doing 90mph in a 65mph zone in the left lane, in their Ford F150, Honda Civic, or Chevy Spark, hell no I don't move over. I'm in a 700+hp M5 driving at comfortable America law breaking speed that is designed to do those kind of speeds on the Autobahn, they don't need to pass me because that means they'll be doing close to 100mph in a car that is not safe at those speeds in order to pass me even if I do move over. No non-high performance car needs to drive over 90mph in America. Even when I owned my base Fiat 500 (with 100hp) I always drove the speed limit, never tried to pass anyone at 100mph in that thing, it could barely even get up to 85mph. Lol! There's just too many bad drivers out there who are truly speeding in my own opinion. Doing 150mph in an RS7 is not speeding, the car was designed for that and it can stop on a dime if need be. The woman texting in her 6,000+lbs Ford Expedition with those pathetic brakes is far more dangerous at 70mph tailgating people in the left lane. Anyways, I digress as well. American drivers are truly hypocrites, it is not socially acceptable to tailgate, yet everyone does it and the people who do it, literally do not care.

Disclaimer: I make all these statements in general regardless of country. In America doing even 1mph over the posted speed limit is speeding because that is the written law.

Also, to Bokke, post those pictures you took of the Carbon Brakes service intervals, too funny!
Not yielding to faster traffic in the left lane makes you part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

As damaging as it may be to your ego, pull over and let the minivan pass if it is traveling faster than you are!!!!!

For all you know they might be rushing to a hospital...or late to pick up a kid at soccer. LOL
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #21
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Below is a real life example. It is a picture I took a few months back in great Commonwealth of Virginia (sarcasm). ...

[u2b]http://youtu.be/LZhdvl_P1Zc[/u2b]

Appreciate 0