M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

F10 M5 High Mileage update (38,500 miles)

Lady and Gents,

Just wanted to provide a quick update on my F10 M5 as I just completed a major servicing yesterday. This is for those who are concerned about long term longevity with this car.

The M5 (Mika) now has 38,500 miles on it. Service performed yesterday included the following;

- 4-Wheel Alignment
- Oil Change
- Brake Fluid Change
- Differential Oil Change
- Front Wheel hubs cleaned for infamous clicking noise

I'm planning on taking my M5 out for a few major road trips this summer so it was perfect timing to get all of this stuff done.

I'll go over each in brief detail now.

4-Wheel Alignment: Believe it or not, I just had an alignment done back in April. These East Coast roads and highways are just a whole other level of terrible on the suspension of the M5. I complained to my friend yesterday that back in California I never once had to have an alignment, now it seems like I need one at least every 3 months, and my M5 isn't even my daily driver! Coincidentally, my daily driver takes the potholes like a champ and still doesn't need an alignment for some reason. One thing of note is that I must have hit something really hard on my passenger side front wheel as my camber is now off by -0.3 from my left wheel which has a normal camber of -1.3 degrees. The dealer said that on ///M cars the camber cannot be adjusted and that the only way to fix the camber is to buy a new control arm. After researching a bit I believe that this is true and must be the reason why Dinan now makes negative camber control arms for our M5's and M6's. So now that I know my camber is not equal on both wheels, I may just go ahead and order the Dinan Negative Camber Control Arms in the future instead of spending what will probably be an equal amount of money on a new factory control arm. Anyways, East Coast sucks, West Coast rocks, that is all I have to say about that.

Oil Change: My engine still consumes oil about every 3,000 miles I'd say. In fact I had to top off the oil the other week before I just did the oil change yesterday. I still do independent oil changes in between the free BMW Maintenance Plan interval of 12,000 miles. The tech said my oil looked fine.

Brake Fluid Change: The computer said that it was time to change the brake fluid, so I let them do it even though I had racing brake fluid in there already. My racing fluid had been in the M5 for exactly 1 year now, so I just let them change it. It's not as big a deal for me right now, because I don't even come close to driving my M5 as hard as I did back in California. I used to make my brakes smoke at least once a month on the mountain and canyon roads in San Diego and I have no plans to go to the track this summer here on the East Coast either. So for every day street use, the regular BMW brake fluid is just fine. If I do intend on tracking the M5 in the future, I'll switch the brake fluid back to racing fluid again. No biggie.

Differential Fluid Change: Was a bit surprised when the servicing said it was time to change the Differential Fluid, but I was like ok sounds good to me. This is good to know for when I'm out of factory warranty and maintenance plan. I think I'll change it again at around 75,000 or 80,000 miles.

Front wheel hubs cleaned: Yes the infamous clicking keeps on coming back. Honestly it has been a while since the last time I had the hubs cleaned, like about a year, but this is an issue that I don't think will ever go away on these cars.

Overall, I have been very very very very happy with the reliability and hassle free experience of owning this car. I've not had one major problem yet and I don't foresee anything happening in the near or medium future. After my servicing yesterday, my M5 felt like it was back in tune. It handled sharp again and felt a little more responsive. Felt so good if you know what I mean and I had a smile on my face from the driving experience. My medium term plan is to buy an aftermarket extended warranty next year to last me until 100,000 miles which I think should get me to the year 2019, at which around that time I'm hoping that the LCI GXX M5 will be out and I'll probably be getting one of those. We'll see.

Now enjoy a cool video that was uploaded on YouTube only 2 days ago. I don't know who's M5 this is but not too shabby for an M5 with those mods and using stock 20" wheels and street Michelin PSS's. Although it does look like in the video that he has a condom hanging off his rear stiffening plate. Lol! Maybe that's slowing him down? I'm pretty sure I recall Greentrbo95gst getting better trap times with the BMS tune and a stock exhaust though.

Also who needs an F80 M3 for better lap times when you can just do this.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
nice review dave, thats actually my car. Somehow i have a plastic bag stuck to the bottom of the car lol. The car can deff run better times but my stock pss tires are done and i couldn't get a good 60ft down( track prep was horrible) and dragging in 80 plus degrees is not the best. I got to run a Supercharged e92 m3 and beat him from a roll so i know the car is capable of doing tens maybe when its cooler out. Another f10 comp m5 was running 11.5 all day with race gas, 4 psi setting , r888's and full exhaust.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
nice review dave, thats actually my car. Somehow i have a plastic bag stuck to the bottom of the car lol. The car can deff run better times but my stock pss tires are done and i couldn't get a good 60ft down( track prep was horrible) and dragging in 80 plus degrees is not the best. I got to run a Supercharged e92 m3 and beat him from a roll so i know the car is capable of doing tens maybe when its cooler out. Another f10 comp m5 was running 11.5 all day with race gas, 4 psi setting , r888's and full exhaust.
Yeah it was sweet man. I saw that other video of you racing that CTS-V with the drag radials on it. Not a fair fight at all. Lol! Also, what exhaust are you running. That doesn't look like the Turner Motorsport exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah it was sweet man. I saw that other video of you racing that CTS-V with the drag radials on it. Not a fair fight at all. Lol! Also, what exhaust are you running. That doesn't look like the Turner Motorsport exhaust.
lol yea, that cts-v has a twin turbo kit on it i believe that thing was nasty. I am running a undercover performance exhaust 3" straight through the whole way no bottlenecking in the exhaust. I know i was the loudest M5 out of the 4 that were at the event and 2 of them had catless dps. I really want to compare both of our exhaust in person. I'll be at the Roll out to reach out event in pocono and at Mpact.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh23456 View Post
lol yea, that cts-v has a twin turbo kit on it i believe that thing was nasty. I am running a undercover performance exhaust 3" straight through the whole way no bottlenecking in the exhaust. I know i was the loudest M5 out of the 4 that were at the event and 2 of them had catless dps. I really want to compare both of our exhaust in person. I'll be at the Roll out to reach out event in pocono and at Mpact.
Awesome. I'll be at MPact on Saturday. I'll be doing the rolling races at MPact too. Can't wait!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I ran 11.3@127 with stock tires, BMW tune, stock exhaust and AMS downpipes on 2.2 psi setting. I have been planning to go back to the track, but other things took priority and have to wait.
Dave awesome write up as usual. Planning a road trip to the good coast?
      07-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I ran 11.3@127 with stock tires, BMW tune, stock exhaust and AMS downpipes on 2.2 psi setting. I have been planning to go back to the track, but other things took priority and have to wait.
Dave awesome write up as usual. Planning a road trip to the good coast?
Ha! I wish I could come back. It would be great to not have to get an alignment 50 times a year again.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

My alignment was always off a bit--took me 5 times to get it perfect at 11k miles. How is your suspension holding up? My car has 14k miles and im starting to believe the front end is loosening up a bit which is noticeable on potholes.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
My alignment was always off a bit--took me 5 times to get it perfect at 11k miles. How is your suspension holding up? My car has 14k miles and im starting to believe the front end is loosening up a bit which is noticeable on potholes.
I think my suspension is holding up pretty good. Have only been driving out here on the East Coast for 9 months now. Nothing feels loose yet. No noises or other sounds coming from anywhere. I do my best to avoid the potholes but some are just unavoidable, as in either risk a head on collision with opposite direction traffic or just take the pothole. The roads are the worst I have ever seen any where in my life.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Ha! I wish I could come back. It would be great to not have to get an alignment 50 times a year again.
Are the roads really that bad?
      07-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Are the roads really that bad?
Dude I dodge potholes every day. Some are bigger in diameter than Hoolahoop. The one that messed up my tire a couple of months ago was at least 10" deep. I did notice the DOT repaving some sections of major highways this summer though, but most of the city streets are in terrible disrepair. Especially in DC, but all over really. I'll have to make a video soon to show everyone.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Dude I dodge potholes every day. Some are bigger in diameter than Hoolahoop. The one that messed up my tire a couple of months ago was at least 10" deep. I did notice the DOT repaving some sections of major highways this summer though, but most of the city streets are in terrible disrepair. Especially in DC, but all over really. I'll have to make a video soon to show everyone.
I feel your pain RPi! SF is horrible as well!! Dodging land mines left and right.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Glad your M is holding up because like you I really drive my cars. I'm almost at 31k and I have no problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
WuTang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT

I defiantly am with you on disliking these east coast roads. I'm living in Maryland for the summer and SHEESH!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:46 AM   #15
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

great review as usual Dave.
Appreciate 0